DT Swiss R 460 for cyclocross tyres

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Dear WW Cognizenti

I have a Cyclocross bike on which I had used always tubulars or standards clinchers rims.

There I can run a Michelin Mud 700x30c but seems to me that the tyre "balloons" enough... I don't mount wider tyres on it.

I had not riden it for 2 years more or less and now I would like to set it with wider tyres, more like a gravel bike... 700x35c for example or a bit more.

I have a set of Mavic A319 rims, that I could build a set for this bike, these are Touring rims I have the same setup on my commuter, but my commuter is a heavy steel bike with racks, mudguards, heavy commuter tyres etc.

I think maybe these rims would be a bit too much for a nimble and light Cyclocross carbon frame.

I was thinking on getting something in between, so a set of DT Swiss R 460 for example.

Do any of you have a similar setup ? can you post some pictures ?

Thanks
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Surfshack

by Surfshack

I recently built up a set of R500’s with 350 hubs for a road/gravel clincher for my cyclocross tire and they are working perfectly. I currently have the Vittoria Corsa 28’s on them for road riding. I went with the R500db’s because they are wider than the 460’s. I have also used the Vittoria Terreno Mix 33’s on them with excellent results.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I use R470 (2mm wider than 460) on DT350 hubs for gravel riding. Currently on Panaracer Gravelkings SK 38mm, everything looks and works perfectly. Will be converting them to tubeless this/next week.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Trank you,
Do you think is there enough difference with a standard rim like an open pro ? To run 700x35c tyres or larger ? Or should I go with a wider rim ?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

gorkypl

by gorkypl

By 'standard rim' you mean 17mm internal? Or less?

When you consider cost of building wheels (rims, hubs, spokes, work), the cost of rims alone is not huge. And for >35mm tyres I'd like to have rims with at least 18mm internal width, unless you want just something cheap from spare parts lying around.

The question is: will these wide tyres fit an older CX frame? Rear triangle would be my biggest concern.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

tomh79

by tomh79

I currently have wheels built for me with the DT SWISS RR 481 rims (22mm internal, 25mm deep). I talked to DT Swiss and they recommended this rim for my use (told em I want to mainly ride tires around 35mm - maybe 28, maybe 40).

MikeD

by MikeD

I'm running 42 mm tires on DT R460's. I don't get that you need wider rims. If you have rim brakes, you could have fitment problems with your brakes.

tomh79

by tomh79

With disc brakes there are no problems. As I'm told a wider tire is more stable on a wider rim with lower pressures...
No problems with a 42 on 18mm inside? What kind of pressures do you run? I'd like a 22mm internal for my Gravelking 35 - but I hope I can run 28s on the same rim...which is officially not allowed (ETRTO table)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

tomh79 wrote:With disc brakes there are no problems. As I'm told a wider tire is more stable on a wider rim with lower pressures...
No problems with a 42 on 18mm inside? What kind of pressures do you run? I'd like a 22mm internal for my Gravelking 35 - but I hope I can run 28s on the same rim...which is officially not allowed (ETRTO table)
No problems. 35/45 psi f/r. You answered your own question; refer to the ETRTO tables.