Doubling water capacity from 3L to 6L, possible?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm thinking about some double bottle cages I've seen like:

There are adapters available in the UK like this:
https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/produ ... ge-adaptor

I've been doing some practising recently and find that I can scrape by with around 500ml per hour in warm weather (with carbs and electrolytes in there). That's fine for 100 to 120 miles, 3L can cover it. Down tube, seat tube, and underneath the seat tube.

Problem now is I want to extend that to 12 hours in regions where I can't rely on finding a place to stop and top up. I reckon I could scrape by with 6L. Any ideas on which way to go about this? I'm not keen on saddle rail mounts. But will reconsider if I have to. Rather keep the weight lower on the bike. 6L is a lot of extra weight. Also don't want my knees and toes to be clipping the bottles..

by Weenie

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Try a frame pack with a camel back bladder in it.

This one from Rapha is 5L of volume plus your two bottles pushes you over your requirements, keeps the weight relatively centered, out of the way and easy to put on and take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Oh yes. That'd be neater and more aero too. I have an Apidura frame pack the same shape and capacity basically as that Rapha one. Just waiting on some cages arriving to hack 2L and the frame pack into the same area (from my last thread).

Might go down this route.. really does seem neatest. Would need a bladder that can easily refill the bottles without making a mess. Or maybe even have the straw just out of the zipp and extend it when want to drink then push it back down, if that makes sense? Or not good in practise?

Edit - just thought of two issues. Those bladders are hard to keep clean. I'd want it filled with water + carbs + electrolytes. That stuff turns into a gross black mould if not cleaned well in bottles. And I can't tell how much I'm drinking/fueling if I can't see it :x

Shrike

by Shrike

What about the forks, affect steering too much?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I added a hip pack >1.5L only though

TheRich

by TheRich

Shrike wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 am
Oh yes. That'd be neater and more aero too. I have an Apidura frame pack the same shape and capacity basically as that Rapha one. Just waiting on some cages arriving to hack 2L and the frame pack into the same area (from my last thread).

Might go down this route.. really does seem neatest. Would need a bladder that can easily refill the bottles without making a mess. Or maybe even have the straw just out of the zipp and extend it when want to drink then push it back down, if that makes sense? Or not good in practise?

Edit - just thought of two issues. Those bladders are hard to keep clean. I'd want it filled with water + carbs + electrolytes. That stuff turns into a gross black mould if not cleaned well in bottles. And I can't tell how much I'm drinking/fueling if I can't see it :x
Are you sure your pack doesn't have a hole for a hydration hose? My Relevate bag does, and I'd assume Apidura would too.

I didn't find drinking out of the hose as convenient as using a Camelback, just felt a little awkward with the hose attached to the bike...which leads to not drinking enough. I'm going to try taking the bite part of the bite valve off and just use it to refill bottles the next time I use it.
spdntrxi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 pm
I added a hip pack >1.5L only though
One advantage of hip packs is that your water bottle won't eject from them. Despite being goofy (road) and bro-ish (mtb), they can be very useful.

mattr

by mattr

Hang on, aren't you UK based?
You'd have to try really hard to avoid anywhere you can refill for 12 hours in the UK. Unless you either ride really slowly or are deliberately avoiding water points.

There's even a website somewhere listing and locating all the watering holes across the UK (and opening times).

Even things like the HT550 have half a dozen or so official watering points.

fourfa

by fourfa

Full-frame bag and hydration hose. I like the Osprey ones with magnetic mouthpieces - sticks right to the steel steerer of my touring bike, or a strap with the matching magnet on carbon bikes. After using the hose for a while, you won't believe you ever put up with taking your hands off the bars (and brakes) to drink.

by Weenie