Gravel Tires...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jswitow

by Jswitow

Any of you out there who ride gravel; what tires are you riding? I am getting ready to mount my second set of Terrene Ellwoods on my Rove NRB. These are 650b - 47's . I live in east TN and do a fair amount of climbing and big gravel descents...with some mud, since it rains here a fair amount. I managed 2200 miles on a set of the Ellwood lights. I am going to the Heavy for the front tire on the new ones, to be mounted before the weekend's ride. The Ellwood lights come in sub 400g. I am 63.5 kg...
Kona Big Unit
Ridley X-Night
Time RXR-Ulteam
Single Speed CX
73 Raleigh Grand Prix
Kona Rove NRB
Go Ride Your Bike!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

WTB Resolute is a very popular tyre. Rolls pretty good and works in the mud. Panaracer GravelKing SK is another one. Usually a bit cheaper than the Resolute and with pretty good puncture resistance.

If you want a faster rolling tyre with some knobs on the side then the WTB Byway is a good pick.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

jemima

by jemima

with some mud:- one of the Juniper Ridge options could be worth a look.
Curve Grovel ti.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

WTB Byways... but they dont do mud well at all... for more sketch condition.. 650x42 Donnelley MSO
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I'm on Gravelkings SK, and I like them for the ability to go quite smoothly on roads and still keep a good grip in mud. Some of my cycling buddies ride WTB Resolute and it seems more suitable for pure mud, while trading the pavement abilities in exchange.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Point

by Point

I’m running Gravel King SK’s too and they’ve been great so far. They seem to roll well on road; stick we’ll in: loamy soft trails, general gravel and stoney trails, I’m yet to use them in mud though so can’t comment on that. Puncture resistance seems good so far too, it’s hard to say whether the tubeless compound has been doing its job or whether the tyres haven’t taken on punctures, but I’ve barely seen any signs of latex post ride, and I’ve certainly ridden through some high chance puncture areas.

I was running. Clement (Pre Donnelly) MSO Xplor’s before hand and got on really well with them. The only reason when converting to tubeless I didn’t stick with Xplor’s was the price. The SK’s where around half the price (UK £25.99)
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

kytyree

by kytyree

I've got the Resolute, and a set of the slick Gravelking mounted up right now.

I want to try the SK out and the IRC Boken looks interesting too.

Go Vols!

Point

by Point

kytyree wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Go Vols!
I can't recommend the SK's enough.

As a side note, I forgot to mention if you're running metal mud-guards or are worried about frame damage; it's not uncommon for these tyres to pick up small stones and gravel. Obviosly with metal guards you'll get some noise and carbon frame potential laquer damage. I did have a few louder impact clunks for stones today and I'm 95% sure it's the tyres, I don't recall experiencing impact pings much with the Xplor's.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Point wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:16 pm
kytyree wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Go Vols!
I can't recommend the SK's enough.

As a side note, I forgot to mention if you're running metal mud-guards or are worried about frame damage; it's not uncommon for these tyres to pick up small stones and gravel. Obviosly with metal guards you'll get some noise and carbon frame potential laquer damage. I did have a few louder impact clunks for stones today and I'm 95% sure it's the tyres, I don't recall experiencing impact pings much with the Xplor's.
I've been running the metal fenders with WTB Nanos and am experiencing the same thing. Still looking for a tire that has a bit of tread, but in a non rock grabbing configuration. Of course, wanting a certain size, weight, RR, etc...doesn't make it any easier. I've been considering some of the Schwalbes with micro-knobs, but am still undecided. There are very few full file tread tires in 40mm ish sizes.

calleking

by calleking

The GravelKing SK is a great tyre but they are more prone to catapult small stones due to the design of the tread pattern.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

dim

by dim

has anyone tried Challenge Tyres?

http://www.challengetech.it/
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

dim wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 am
has anyone tried Challenge Tyres?

http://www.challengetech.it/
Yes but can't decide if the quality and durability outway the absolute pain in the ass that they are to initially mount.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

WTB Nano TCS 700 x 40, amazing on tarmac, very confident on the roughest MTB tracks off road.

plpete

by plpete

I've been using the Challange Gravel Grinder Pro tires in 36c with tubes. Very happy with them. Have ridden them on roads, gravel and single tracks. Single tracks were pushing them pretty far but everywhere else they were great. Have ridden them anywhere form mid 60psi for road and around 35-40psi for gravel. No punctures yet!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dkoor

by dkoor

Thru Autumn/Winter Schwalbe Smart Sam (42mm) front and Hurricane (42mm) rear, for Spring and Summer Panaracer Gravelking SK (32mm) front and Schwalbe Kojak (35mm) rear.
Rolling on a Kona Rove steel 1st ed.

When low on pressure those fatter Schwalbes prove to be quite good at soaking usual small gravel holes and bumps while still good on asphalt. Those really are cheap wire bead tires.
For gravel I run them at around 30psi.

Gravelking and Kojak see like 95% asphalt action, I run them usually at around 50-60psi, bike ofc feel much stiffer with them.