Steel Frames - weight increase per size

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

peraklo

by peraklo

Anyone managed to weigh in few sizes of the same bike/frame? I would like to see how much of a weight penalty I can expect going from the published weight of a 54cm bike to the required 61cm?

I am currently looking at a few steel tanks to fulfill my touring/commuting/gravel needs, and have narrowed the choice to the following:

Marin Four Corners
Jamis Renegade Expat
Specialized Sequoia 2018
Fuji Jari 2.3

I am 6'3'', 90kg and picking a bike available here in Croatia with a sub €1000 price. Steel frame, many bottle cage mounts and mech disks are a must. Thru Axle is desirable, bar-end shifters to avoid.

All weights I can find online are mostly for 54-56 cm, and I am trying to predict the weight of 60-62 (XL/XXL) bikes.

Help!

peraklo

by peraklo

ok, to partially answer my own question, I asked Fuji for the weights for Jari 2.3 and 2.5 in sizes 54 and 61, and here is the reply:

We only have recorded weights for the bikes in size 56cm. The 54cm model will be slightly lighter ( <.1 pound, so < 45g) and the 61cm will be slightly heavier (no more than ¼ pound, so no more than 113.4g).
Jari 2.3 56cm – 28.28lbs - 12.83 kg
Jari 2.5 56cm – 28.36lbs - 12.86 kg

By using simple math (but I might be wrong), I got to the fact that the increase in Frame size by 2 cm (54, 56, 58, 61) goes with about 45-55g of a weight penalty. That is just for the frame, other components need to be accounted for also, mainly that could be size difference in stem length or crank length).

I am waiting for answers from Marin and Specialized, we will see if they confirm this math. If they do, I am guessing that 150-200g more is to be added to the published weights (54-56 cm frames) when I think of my bike size (61cm).

Jamis Renegade Expat is listed as 11kg flat, and that is for the size 54. Size 61 should be around 11.2 kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com