Crankset advise sought (Praxis v Easton v FSA)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Hi, this is my first time to the Cyclocross / Gravel Touring board because for my next bike project I am building up a road \ gravel \ all-purpose bike with wider tires and disc brakes (can’t write more, that would spoil if the clues below aren’t a dead giveaway).

I am looking for 2x crankset advice, esp. from anyone who used the three options below. The bottom bracket standard is T47 (I can hear some of you clapping), and the cassette is 11-32. Weights and (street) prices are estimates.

1. Praxis M30 Zayante Carbon crankset with 48 / 32 rings, with matching Praxis T47 BB -- $372, 744g
2. Easton EC SL90 arms, Easton 47 / 32 gravel rings, Chris King T47 BB w/conversion kit -- $184 more than Praxis, -86 grams weight savings
3. FSA K-Force Light Modular crankset with 48 / 32 rings, Chris King T47 BB without a conversion kit -- $143 more than Praxis, -52 grams weight savings

Particularly interested in whether you think the advantage of using a Praxis BB with a Praxis crank set outweighs the benefits of a Chris King BB, and whether FSA has its act together (I had a lower end road crankset from them in the early 2010s and was underwhelmed).

I do think the gear ratios on 48 are slightly better than 47, for the top ring and my riding.

PS I did try to search for answers here, apologize if I missed.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Lots of people like the Easton crank but I had one where the bond for the axle to the crankarm failed and it took 3.5 months for the warranty to arrive so I'm sworn off them/Raceface for life. I'd go with the Praxis crank out of the options you have listed. Although the 30/28 stepped axle is kinda stupid all they actually do is use 6806 bearings and press a reducer ring into the nds bearing. You can pop the bearing out and then the ring and upgrade the bearings to ceramic once the stock ones wear out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Anecdotal and don't know if you care, but know 2nd hand of a couple of those cinch power meters (albeit on a raceface mtb crank) failing/bad readings, and the replacement not working at all.
Chasse patate

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Or you can buy Ultegra 8000 or Dura Ace 9100 cranks, remove the chainrings and replace them with Wolf Tooth or Absolute Black chainrings.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TonyM

by TonyM

Noctiluxx wrote:Or you can buy Ultegra 8000 or Dura Ace 9100 cranks, remove the chainrings and replace them with Wolf Tooth or Absolute Black chainrings.
As the OT wants 1:1 then in that case something like 40 front and 11-40 rear. Or even 36 and 11-34 or 11-40.

But the OT want (needs?) 48-11?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

TonyM wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 am
Noctiluxx wrote:Or you can buy Ultegra 8000 or Dura Ace 9100 cranks, remove the chainrings and replace them with Wolf Tooth or Absolute Black chainrings.
As the OT wants 1:1 then in that case something like 40 front and 11-40 rear. Or even 36 and 11-34 or 11-40.

But the OT want (needs?) 48-11?
Not so much 48-11, but rather 48-15. I already purchased the cassette, and the closest equivalent to the gear I currently ride the most, 50-16, is higher than the 8th gear on a 47-15 and about equal to the 8th gear on the new cassette if I use a 48, 48-15. My concern is having too few higher gears when I need them. Like a dope I did not do the math in advance or notice that the new cassette is missing -14 and -16.

Tychom

by Tychom

I've been happy running my Sugino OX for a few years now 46 30 (48 32 is also available). It's the most compatible out there imo, both with frames (24mm axle) and rings (110/74 bcd) and has a narrow Q factor, good shifting too.

The White Industries 30mm axle model is another candidate.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I'm planning to replace the FSA Gossamer 36/46 on my Giant TCX with the Praxis Alba 48/32. Should hopefully work out to around $280 AUD.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

tomh79

by tomh79

I was about to ask the same question when I saw this thread.

Looking for something like the Easton or Praxis Carbon cranks - with the option of 2x and later convert to 1x. The problem: I have a 30 / 46 super compact right now (FSA Omega ME) and I think there's no option for 30/46 with either the Easton or the Praxis. Any other recommendations?

EDIT: I think there's a 30 / 46 chainring available for the Easton SL: https://www.probikesupply.com/products/ ... 6362508355

My question: my current FSA Omega ME has a chainline of 43,5 mm, the Easton has 45 mm - could that cause any problems to my current setup?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

tomh79 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:44 pm
I was about to ask the same question when I saw this thread.

Looking for something like the Easton or Praxis Carbon cranks - with the option of 2x and later convert to 1x. The problem: I have a 30 / 46 super compact right now (FSA Omega ME) and I think there's no option for 30/46 with either the Easton or the Praxis. Any other recommendations?

EDIT: I think there's a 30 / 46 chainring available for the Easton SL: https://www.probikesupply.com/products/ ... 6362508355

My question: my current FSA Omega ME has a chainline of 43,5 mm, the Easton has 45 mm - could that cause any problems to my current setup?
I ended up at the same place as you and purchased the Easton EC90 SL with 46-30 to get the lower gear range
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

tomh79

by tomh79

Thanks! Will look at this combination - unfortunetely pretty pricey and I don't see any other option. I could buy ULTEGRA and thenn add those: https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-road-chai ... -110-4bcd/ - but Easton seems the better way to go. Still not sure if it's a problem if I switch my current FSA Omega ME with the Easton from 43.5 to 45mm chainline (I'm no mechanic...)

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I have nothing but super positive experiences with all Praxis products.

I have two of the M30 Zyante Carbon cranks ans love them. No creaking, no play developing in the BB or cranks coming loose.

Heaps of options re rings, spiders etc, light and they look super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jemima

by jemima

https://specialites-ta.com/pedaliers-co ... ture,46-30

Just came across this new release today. Might suit someone chasing shorter crank arms.
Curve Grovel ti.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Does anyone happen to know if this is the BB that I need to fit a Praxis Works Alba crankset to a Giant TCX ADVANCED PRO 2 2016? I'm 95% sure it's a PF86 / BB86 (are they the same thing?) but just want to confirm before I pull the trigger!

https://praxiscycles.com/product/m30-bb86-road/
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

tomh79

by tomh79

Just found this review/comparison (sorry, German only, but 1 is best and 6 worst, „testsieger“ means winner of the review, „preis/leistung“ = best value)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com