Chinese gravel bars?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Just built up a velobulld gravel bike and used so profile Design alloy flared gravel bars I like the shape of them although they are a little weighty just wondered if anyone knows of a reputable Chinese manufacturer making flared carbon gravel drop handlebars?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

fattywilliams wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 pm
Just built up a velobulld gravel bike and used so profile Design alloy flared gravel bars I like the shape of them although they are a little weighty just wondered if anyone knows of a reputable Chinese manufacturer making flared carbon gravel drop handlebars?

Would love to know the same, but bars are probably the most risky of any bike product to be going for a brand not thoroughly tested and validated to EU/USA/Aus standards. I'd suggest caution as just because one 150lb guy riding smooth gravel had luck with an example, doesn't mean that you'll have the same luck on a different example, at a heavier weight, on different terrain.

TonyM

by TonyM

TheKaiser wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:26 am
fattywilliams wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Would love to know the same, but bars are probably the most risky of any bike product to be going for a brand not thoroughly tested and validated to EU/USA/Aus standards. I'd suggest caution as just because one 150lb guy riding smooth gravel had luck with an example, doesn't mean that you'll have the same luck on a different example, at a heavier weight, on different terrain.
I am in the same situation as I am currently looking for some good quality Chinese carbon handlebars for a budget gravel bike.
Not sure however if I will go this route at the end. I may just buy some light alloy handlebars or pay the price for some good quality carbon handlebars from Pro, Deda, 3T, etc....

But if I go for the Chinese route I will definitely discard all carbon handlebars which are very light.
Look at these ones:
http://www.velobuild.com/hb-003-carbon- ... p0044.html
178g vs. 225g for the Pro Vibe Carbon handlebars.
Too light for my taste....

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Did the Chinese bars test for my roadie. Looked well made and was from a brand that had received some good feedback.

One small pothole/road divot later, “crack”. Limped home and put my 3T Carbon bars back on.

It’s one area that I wouldn’t touch anymore, and even more so on a bike to be taken off road where there are even more potholes

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Good point I was always skeptical about carbon bars as a whole Incase bike falls over ect so probably best stearing clear as I'm not exactly a light weight chap

nickf

by nickf

Easton EC70 AX are nice bars with a flair. I love Easton reach and shape. I'm sure they are made somewhere in Asia so they check that box.

Orbital

by Orbital

You can find Ali sellers with batch number and QC information in their item description. Is it real? Maybe not. I’ve been on a $45 carbon aero bar since January with no issues. I skateboarded for 17yrs so when I see a manhole cover or debris on the road I usually bunny hop it rather than go around. I haven’t died yet!

TonyM

by TonyM

Sticking a QC passed sticker is always good...LOL..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TonyM wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 pm
are you saying even those are counterfit :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

TonyM

by TonyM

spdntrxi wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 pm
are you saying even those are counterfit :thumbup:
I mean QC doesn’t mean high quality.
It depends on the criteria, parameters, thresholds, etc...for the QC. QC means that the products are produced within the specs. Whatever the specs are..LOL

As a consumer seeing a sticker “QC passed” makes us feel good...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

It’s actually a document, not a sticker. But same principle. It could also be counterfeit. But we’re taking in circles here.