Picos de Europa trip

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hex

by Hex

The gf and I are thinking of going to this area or thereabouts. We are just unsure whether to look for a base site to cycle around, or do a route. We have bikepacking kit and we've done a 3 day ride trip staying at different airbnb's throughout a 170km route.

Our training isn't so hot for bikepacking, can do 60km/day on road. Can do more unloaded, hence our thinking of exploring the surroundings from a "base camp" .

Anyone's done a route around that area? Any tips?

We wanted to do some wild camping but it seems that Spain allows camping only on camping grounds so that's not so cool.

luisito

by luisito

Hex wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:39 pm
The gf and I are thinking of going to this area or thereabouts. We are just unsure whether to look for a base site to cycle around, or do a route. We have bikepacking kit and we've done a 3 day ride trip staying at different airbnb's throughout a 170km route.

Our training isn't so hot for bikepacking, can do 60km/day on road. Can do more unloaded, hence our thinking of exploring the surroundings from a "base camp" .

We wanted to do some wild camping but it seems that Spain allows camping only on camping grounds so that's not so cool.
Search Wikiloc for routes, like this: https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-mountain-b ... btt-497069

There are more restrictions when you visit a Parque Nacional, check here the regulations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

luisito wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:20 pm
Hex wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Search Wikiloc for routes, like this: https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-mountain-b ... btt-497069

There are more restrictions when you visit a Parque Nacional, check here the regulations.
Thanks for the tip!
I'll have a look into it.
This is now completing with a walk/hike through one of the lesser known versions of El Camino de Santiago.
Budgeting is key here. The summer months are really pricey!
Last edited by Hex on Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swannie

by Swannie

Wildcamping in spain aint a good idea!
i did a bike trip around europe with my GF in 2012.
We started sleeping @ campingsite's, but after 2 weeks we decided to stay in B&B's, much more comfort and cheaper!
We started @ Bordeaux, trough Basque Country, madrid, barcelona, costa's, France, Germany, Austria, Italie, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatie.
Wonderfull. Took us 2 months :-D
We did not a have a plan. Did a similar thing in US, with everything planned before, but that caused only stress.

Hex

by Hex

We did the B&B thing already. Its nice and comfy. I agree. But I guess our idea is to go to other places that are less travelled and spend the night at some of them.

Spain seems to be a not so good place for wild camping. Maybe we may do something similar to the B&B trip we did in eastern Europe next year, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sacke

by Sacke

We set up a trip for clients in the Picos de Europa, and we start them off by doing a couple of days out of Langreo. Like that they can climb the Angliru and get that off their bucket list.

After a couple of days, they do a transition day to Cangas de Onis, which is a pretty good location to explore the Picos de Europa.

Some really spectacular views, and for those who seek out the extremely steep climbs, there are a bunch of dead end climbs that are too steep and narrow for the support van to follow. :D

Awesome trip ahead though!