Donnelly MSO Tubeless Full of Holes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Had one MSO that had a huge wobble so my excellent LBS replaced it. The replacement had a hole in the sidewall. That tire was replaced and the next one had two holes in the sidewall. I can get the sealant to more or less stop the leaks if I can get it to the hole. If I rub my finger over the hole it starts to leak again. Not sure I want to be out on an epic gravel ride with a tire that starts with holes in the sidewall.

Is this just a one-off (two-off) or are other people having problem with this tire model? Am I wrong to think that new tires should come without the holes? I thought putting holes in tires was the job of the rider, not the manufacturer. I also had the strange thought that maybe a disgruntled individual vandalized the tires either at the shop or in the factory.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've heard about the wobble but not the holes. The 2 I got were good to go 650BX42s

by Weenie

MichaelB

by MichaelB

EEEK. I've got two that are still Clement braned ready to go on (also 650B x 42)

wrenegade

by wrenegade

I don't have any branded Donnelly, but I've had 1.5 sets of tubeless 36mm MSOs (one front, 2 rears) without any issues, and just put at set of the Clement 40mms on my new bike though haven't put many miles on them. I have 2 other teammates running the Donnelly 36s now too without issues either.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I haven't had the "hole" issue you're experiencing, but I've had to replace two tires for wobbles, one being a Clement branded tire, the other a Donnelly branded tire. The QC on the MSO's seems to be pretty hit-or-miss, which is odd, because I've never had issues with the PDX's (both tubeless and tubed) or MXP's (tubular).
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Emonda SLR https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8

Crockett, Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Might have to mount mine to check them out.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I got my hands on a third tire and no holes! The tread has a bit of wobble but nothing terrible. It was funny - the first one with the hole, I could hear the hissing noise so I held the tire up to my ear trying find the leak, and as I located the spot I also sloshed some of the sealant up against the hole and it squirted me in ear. :?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Point

by Point

I have a pair of Clement X'Plor MSO 120 tpi tyres and they've been faultless (hoping to not ruin that by saying this). So much so I've been tempted to go to tubeless version next (apparently these aren't unfortunately). However, what you're all saying has me worried.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

For gravel tires, you can't really go wrong with GravelKings. The MSO's don't open up to the advertised size (I have two sets of 700x36's, and neither opens up to 36mm). My GravelKings are listed as 700x35's, but open up to 40mm.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Emonda SLR https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8

Crockett, Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Point

by Point

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm
For gravel tires, you can't really go wrong with GravelKings. The MSO's don't open up to the advertised size (I have two sets of 700x36's, and neither opens up to 36mm). My GravelKings are listed as 700x35's, but open up to 40mm.
I've just moved over from Non Tubless Clement Xplor MSO's to Tubless Gravel King SK's and loving them. I was keen to get Tubeless Donnelly Xplor's as I loved the Clements but they're stupidly expensive compared to the GKSK's.

by Weenie