Fenders on disc CX bike without eyelets?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multebear

by Multebear

Has anyone tried mounting fenders on a disc cx bike, that doesnt have fender eyelets? My cx bike doesn’t have any eyelets whatsoever. No rear brakebridge and no frontfork drilling. What to do? And is it even possible? Has anyone thought of any workarounds or hacks/bodges?

The only thing that I have found so far, is the GT Grade removable mudguard bridge. The rest I haven’t figured out yet.

The purposes of this is to use the cx for winter road training as well as for cx. Preferably a solution where the fenders are easy to install and remove.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Stainless p-clips (rubber coated) for fork legs and stays.
Can use a pair of pclips for a brake bridge, but the GT grade bridge is probably a better solution.

Check your fork for holes in the bottom of the crown. That can be used at a push.,

grosso27

by grosso27

QR or TA? Reason I ask is that there are small washers that go on QR skewers to give you an eyelet.

Alternatively, while not full coverage, the SKS Raceblades mount with a rubber strap & do a pretty good job.

joejack951

by joejack951

mattr wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 am
Stainless p-clips (rubber coated) for fork legs and stays.
Aluminum p-clips exist: https://www.mcmaster.com/3177t13 (just an example, other sizes are available).

This is weight weenies, right? :D

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I use the p-clips mentioned above...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mattr

by mattr

grosso27 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:55 pm
QR or TA? Reason I ask is that there are small washers that go on QR skewers to give you an eyelet.
Yeah, they can allow the wheel to pull out, as they interfere with the QRs serrated mating faces.

And don't the ally p-clips corrode away in no time at all, and fatigue in days?
I've got stainless ones that have been in and out of use for 15 years.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I just use some good zip ties to mount mud guards to my Felt F3X. It takes about 3 minutes to install both, and less than a minute to remove them.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Do you need full fenders? An SKS rear wing and downtube blocker work fine for me

joejack951

by joejack951

mattr wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm
And don't the ally p-clips corrode away in no time at all, and fatigue in days?
I've got stainless ones that have been in and out of use for 15 years.
No, they don't, for many of the same reasons other aluminum bike parts don't. Mine have been on my very-well used commuter for about a decade now. Still going strong, though it doesn't get used much these days. Those p-clips survived several northeast (US) winters when I was commuting every day.

mattr

by mattr

Other aluminium bits don't corrode because they are painted, lacquered or otherwise coated (Hard anodized, Polymer, whatever).

Soon as you crack through that, they corrode.

JoO

by JoO

I use sks raceblade xl. Attachment with a rubber strap. Adjustments in length angle with Allen key. I am happy with them.

Miller

by Miller

I have fitted full mudguards using only zipties. It worked well and was secure, just expect to get some abrasion on the frame at the contact points.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wrapping about 6 loops of electrical tape the same color as your frame around the moutning point will both prevent any damage to the frame and also provide a really good "bite" for the stays as you tighten down the zip ties. I love the zip tie method most of all, and it's how I've moutned my full fenders (albeit non disc). They are so solid, and light. I've used the p-clips years ago... hated them. And with the nice bikes that I wanted to put fenders on, mounts were never there. The slight challenge with disc frames is getting a secure mount where the rear brake bridge might have been if it isn't, and the fork crown, and sometimes having to bend the stays to clear the rotors, as you for sure know already. But injenuity will prevail I'm sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Multebear

by Multebear

Thanks for all the replies. I have QR, and I'm aware of the Dia Compe fender adaptors:

I haven't decided on p clips or dia compe adaptors quite yet. The Dia Compe adaptors will be very good for fast uninstallation of the fenders. But there might be a security risk, even though I run them on my current winter bike without issues.

But how about front fork fender intsallation?Does anyone have any solutions there? I'm no big fan of the SKS options. They don't cover the whole wheel arch and they are flapping all over the place and far from long enough.

This is my current winter setup, and I'd like to do something similar for the cx bike.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=34903&start=510#p1444878

joejack951

by joejack951

mattr wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:27 am
Other aluminium bits don't corrode because they are painted, lacquered or otherwise coated (Hard anodized, Polymer, whatever).

Soon as you crack through that, they corrode.
I guess I'm wondering then why you assume these aren't coated in some way. Mine have a gold anodization. Still corrosion-crack-free after all these years with many of the ~25k miles on the bike done in wet weather, or worse, on salted roads.

If you look closely you can see them in this old pic holding the rear fender stays to the rack:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com