do you size and fit your cross/gravel bikes the same as your road bikes?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

I think that a big part of the fit for 'cross, in particular, comes down to the rider and how comfortable you are.

My personal preference is to have a position that is almost identical to my road position (as much as is possible, having regard to the very different geometry of 'cross bikes to begin with). Having said that, I have recently been riding a stem that is slightly shorter and I think I actually like it better. As compared to road, I do not ride anywhere nearly as much on 'cross bikes. I find that if I do not ride off-camber corners aggressively, I will not get around nearly as well as I would riding equally timidly on the road. I find that the shorter stem helps me a lot in those sorts of corners. It might just be in my head, but I think that the quicker steering seems to help. I think you need to start with your road postion, then experiment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

Geoff wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:18 am
I think that a big part of the fit for 'cross, in particular, comes down to the rider and how comfortable you are.

My personal preference is to have a position that is almost identical to my road position (as much as is possible, having regard to the very different geometry of 'cross bikes to begin with). Having said that, I have recently been riding a stem that is slightly shorter and I think I actually like it better. As compared to road, I do not ride anywhere nearly as much on 'cross bikes. I find that if I do not ride off-camber corners aggressively, I will not get around nearly as well as I would riding equally timidly on the road. I find that the shorter stem helps me a lot in those sorts of corners. It might just be in my head, but I think that the quicker steering seems to help. I think you need to start with your road postion, then experiment.
A shorter stem is going to put more weight on your feet, where it should be off road, along with a psychological boost because you're not hanging your nose out over the front axle.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'm in the middle of sorting out my "roubaix"/gravel Checkpoint... The Reach is the same as my road bike. The Stack is +10mm higher. I plan on taking the hand position effectively +20mm overall. Is there some guideline on shortening the stem to compensate for a stack change as I sit more upright?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

just try a few things and see how it goes.. I did some downhill single track today that definately pushed my comfort zone. For reference my gravel was similar reach wise as my road and went with -20mm stem length. So 120 to 100mm. Also using a Redshift suspension stem which is totally worth the weight penalty.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Grobar

by Grobar

Thanks guys for all your inputs, I ordered the size XS today :)