DT Swiss RWS Thru Bolt over Dura Ace/Ultegra QR for Cyclocross/Gravel?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

maxwkh

by maxwkh

Hello,

I am getting end caps to convert DT240s hubs from thru axle to QR (frame and fork) and having a dilemma if I should go for the DT Swiss RWS thru bolt (not thru axle) or just the regular QR end caps, it cost more because I have to get the thru bolt skewers too (I have Ultegra skewers).

Question is, is it worth paying more to go thru bolt over regular QR?
For those who tried it, are there any noticeable differences between them since high end Shimano skewers are well known for their strong clamping force?

Bike purpose is for Cyclocross/Gravel.

Thanks!

kode54

by kode54

Are you switching wheels from road QR to gravel bike thru axle?

i have discs on a bike with QR and another disc bike with thru axle. there's never any alignment issues with thru axles and I never have to check it. It just works.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Kode54, thru bolt it's not thru axle, it's 10x135/9x130 with dropout on the axle, not on hub end cap. More popular in MTB world.
I had both front and rear, for a QR disc bike I think it's a must have. At rear, it's like have all the benefit of thru axle whitout the useless 142mm wide (hub and spoke are identical between 135 and 142).
For front, it's better than QR but 12 or 15mm begin to make a difference.

Tychom

by Tychom

I don't have the Thu Bolts but run the regular QR RWS skewers on both my gravel bike and an MTB. I think they're very good already, never budged, easy to align the wheels. I'd certainly consider the Thru Bolts apart from the cost of both them and the conversion kits.

Have to say I've not ridden my bikes thinking that this is an upgrade I need.

maxwkh

by maxwkh

kode54 wrote:Are you switching wheels from road QR to gravel bike thru axle?

i have discs on a bike with QR and another disc bike with thru axle. there's never any alignment issues with thru axles and I never have to check it. It just works.
Nope. More like converting a thru axle hub to use it on a QR frame with thru bolt. I don't have alignment issue with Shimano skewers but did have some with other. E.g: one from BBB.
jeanjacques wrote:Kode54, thru bolt it's not thru axle, it's 10x135/9x130 with dropout on the axle, not on hub end cap. More popular in MTB world.
I had both front and rear, for a QR disc bike I think it's a must have. At rear, it's like have all the benefit of thru axle whitout the useless 142mm wide (hub and spoke are identical between 135 and 142).
I see. Sounds like it might be worth spending on it then. Thanks!
Tychom wrote:I don't have the Thu Bolts but run the regular QR RWS skewers on both my gravel bike and an MTB. I think they're very good already, never budged, easy to align the wheels. I'd certainly consider the Thru Bolts apart from the cost of both them and the conversion kits.

Have to say I've not ridden my bikes thinking that this is an upgrade I need.
Yeah. I have the same thought, since I never had any problem with a Shimano skewers (did have problem with others, especially light weight type). Hence wondering if thru bolt will make it better...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I’ll have a couple DT bolts up for sale in a few days FYI. The front is the more important one, especially in hard park dirt where you have more traction than you have on asphalt in some cases.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have multiple sets of the RWS Skewers for use on my CX/Gravel bike and my mountain bike. I've been using these for years, and I've never experienced any rubbing or alignment issues using these skewers, whereas when I used the Shimano skewers that came with the hubs, they would occassionally rub, based on the nature of the skewers. It does take a little longer to align the wheels, just because you have to make sure the skewer is seated and not slightly off, but that doesn't take more than a second or two.

kode54

by kode54

good to know. so many different variants. even with thru axle...it was a learning curve with thread pitch, axle length and all the other bits.
jeanjacques wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:38 pm
Kode54, thru bolt it's not thru axle, it's 10x135/9x130 with dropout on the axle, not on hub end cap. More popular in MTB world.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com