Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jromano89

by jromano89

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:35 pm
My experience with the 27.5 Raceking Protections is that they don't feel fast but whenever I look down at my Wahoo I'm surprised that I'm going faster than I think.
I don't have a power meter on every bike, and even still there are so many variables (wind, temperature, etc), so it's very possible my ranking is skewed by noise and feel. My speeds are remarkably close across all these gravel tires anyway. The only change that's truly noticeable without looking at Strava data is when I run a GP5000.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

tanhalt wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 pm
spartacus wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm
Has anyone here tried the 650B terra speeds?
Yes. Just as nice as the 700c, but would be helpful if it came in a wider version for 650B, especially since the "40" typically measures out at only 38mm wide for me, in both 700c and 650B versions.
Thanks. I was thinking about eventually replacing my 650x42c gravelking slicks with them.

I have tried racekings and thunderburts and I'm not convinced they roll as fast as the numbers would suggest. The GK slicks are far and away faster than either of those on pavement but I kinda want some tread.

Marin

by Marin

This thread is about *tested* speed - just check out the tests. You can't feel rolling resistance except for the most extreme cases

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

jromano89

by jromano89

Marin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 pm
This thread is about *tested* speed - just check out the tests. You can't feel rolling resistance except for the most extreme cases

The closest apples to apples comparison would probably be 25PSI in the MTB tire section and RR Med in the CX tire section, based on the numbers that most tire pressure calculators spit out. On the road, there's also additional (slight) penalties for the increased weight and aero profile of MTB tires that could impact speeds.

spartacus

by spartacus

Marin wrote:

What? Maybe you can't but I certainly can.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

spartacus wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:29 pm
Marin wrote:

I can't feel very small differences but I can certainly feel large differences. Have run two different sets of gravel tires that according to BRR have 8w per tire difference, and definitely notice the difference on pavement, had the tires before BRR did tests on both and wasn't at all surprised by the results.

Marin

by Marin

spartacus wrote:
No

spartacus

by spartacus

Marin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:39 pm
spartacus wrote:
No
ok guy lmao

kervelo

by kervelo

I agree that the test results are the way to go, not the gut feeling.

The problem with the tests is that there are so many today. For example, the Rennradnews test referred earlier in this thread lists the rolling resistance for Schwalbe G-one R ("Goner") as 15 W, which is guite good. However, the bicyclerollingresistance test finds the rolling resistance for Goner to be poor, around 30 W. The tests don't agree on the puncture resistance either. I understand that the reason for the different results is the test protocols are different (BCRR used inner tube :lol:), so to find the correct tyre for yourself you must first find out which test protocol is the best match for your use.

Marin

by Marin

kervelo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:23 am
test protocols are different
I'm not so sure - basically all independent tests show the same ranking and relative performance.

I'm annoyed, but not very suprised to see G-Ones achieve a better result in tests conducted at Schwalbe's own testing facility, especially since they slowed down the G-One line massively by switching it to their MTB "Super Ground" casing :(

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Marin is absolutely right: rolling resistance tests aren't about absolute numbers so much as relative rankings.

These tests measure relative hysteresis in the casing and tread--and these are almost exclusively the sources of rolling resistance. They're entirely valid measures of which tire rolls fastest.

Rolling resistance isn't an imponderable mystery; countless scientific studies and corporate research projects (at giants like Michelin, Continental and Goodyear) have parsed this to death. No, Jan Heine was not the first person ever to conclude that excess tire pressure can increase rolling resistance (no matter what he implies). Serious academic and industry characterization of tire performance has been a thing for over 100 years.

And if you insist on comparing absolute numbers—a bit of a fool's errand, frankly—ignore watts and look at the actual coefficient of rolling resistance. These are the direct results of the experiments, while "watts" are derived results—they depend on several different variables, and no two testers use the same sets of variables.

But again, it's for these reasons that no one who knows what they're looking at expects absolute numbers from RR tests. They're not set up to produce valid absolute numbers. That's not what they're trying to measure.

henau212

by henau212

Marin wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 am
kervelo wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:23 am
test protocols are different
I'm not so sure - basically all independent tests show the same ranking and relative performance.

I'm annoyed, but not very suprised to see G-Ones achieve a better result in tests conducted at Schwalbe's own testing facility, especially since they slowed down the G-One line massively by switching it to their MTB "Super Ground" casing :(
The problem with the Goner at the Rennrad news test is the massive difference between tube and tubeless. In the test it is among the fastest when you run it tubeless. With tubes on the other hand it is somewhere in the middle.. Basically you need to find the comparision test that closely resembles your own setup (if there is one :roll: ).
So in the end I went out to buy a pair of Goners to try them. I had the Gone Bites, Terra Speeds and Pirelli Gravel H before.. Only got a couple of hundred kms on them. But I really do like them so far. Compared to the others? They are fast (around TS and Gravel H) and very good to ride. Biggest question at the moment is the puncture resistance and the wear rate. We will see about those points...

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Just wanted to add to the thread, that the Specialized Pathfinder Pro are fire af.
Comfy, fast and enough traction on even muddier terrain.
Like them even better than the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Miller

by Miller

spartacus wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm
Has anyone here tried the 650B terra speeds?
I have one on my gravel bike at the moment. Only one, because the front is a Terra Trail. It's a nice combination that's grippy enough and subjectively feels fast.

The Terra Speed does a weird thing where it slowly leaks sealant at a few places round the tyre so the tyre looks wet in places. Seems to be just a cosmetic effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jromano89

by jromano89

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 am
Just wanted to add to the thread, that the Specialized Pathfinder Pro are fire af.
Comfy, fast and enough traction on even muddier terrain.
Like them even better than the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H.
I ended up going with 42mm Pathfinder Pros to replace my worn Terra Speeds, definitely my favorite tire thus far.