Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Slightly concerned about the mounting of the Getaways, no problem at home, but if I'm out on the trail and need to put a tube in, that's gonna suck. I've had to put a tube in a TS before and was rolling again in no time, easy peasy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

The important thing is though, once the tire is stretched, installed & ridden you generally won’t have any difficulty managing it on the side of the road if you get a flat and need to put a tube in. The tires stretch into shape and become much easier to get on and off, after a short time.

https://bikerumor.com/exclusive-new-tub ... e-quality/

spartacus

by spartacus

Those challenges seem like winners, maybe I'll try some if I ever wear out my pirelli gravel H ;)

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The challenge Strada Bianche HTLR are definitely winners. I have now used them for 1000k - 80% road/ 20% off road. They obviously won't work in deep mud, loose sand, loose rocks or very coarse gravel. They are slicks after all.
But they are comfy (36c), super fast, and puncture resistant enough for pointy rocks, and really bad roads.

Their biggest weakness is grip.
I just used them for a bunch of road riding in Andalusia, and on the super steep pitches found in the valleys, they lose traction very easily.
Also, when you brake hard, they tend to slide a lot more than a proper road tire.
Not a perfect tire, but a really fast road+ tire.

Looking forward if the Getaways perform equally well, with better grip and better off-road performance.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

spartacus

by spartacus

How do the strada bianche compare to gravelking slicks? I've had pretty good luck with the gk slicks but in the end opted for a tire with tread. I may have a need for a 32c mixed surface tire later this summer.

Singular

by Singular

Isn't the 32mm GK slicks a "slower" tyre than the larger ones (with a sturdier construction)?

spartacus

by spartacus

Singular wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:00 pm
Isn't the 32mm GK slicks a "slower" tyre than the larger ones (with a sturdier construction)?
I think that might be true actually, I forgot about that. I migt be able to squeeze in a 35 but it would be close as this is a mid-reach caliper bike.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

spartacus wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:37 pm
How do the strada bianche compare to gravelking slicks? I've had pretty good luck with the gk slicks but in the end opted for a tire with tread. I may have a need for a 32c mixed surface tire later this summer.
The Strade Bianca Pro will definitely feel nicer and most likely roll faster than the GK slicks. But make sure you get the pro, which are handmade, vs the standard which are vulcanized and don't feel, roll or look as good as the handmade models.

I have a set of the Strade Bianche Pro in 30mm which I've barely ridden, but compared to my previously-mounted GP5K TL 28mm (which blew up to roughly 29.5mm) I'd say the difference (sorry for the tired car cliche) is similar to a Grand Tourer vs a straight Sports Car. The Challenge has a lot of performance built into it but it's just more comfortable and nicer to look at, while the GP5K TL is pure performance. Have a set of 32mm GP5K TR incoming so will see how those compare.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:08 pm
Their biggest weakness is grip.
I just used them for a bunch of road riding in Andalusia, and on the super steep pitches found in the valleys, they lose traction very easily.
Also, when you brake hard, they tend to slide a lot more than a proper road tire.
Not a perfect tire, but a really fast road+ tire.
How is the cornering performance on the Strada Bianca Pro HTLRs?

I've got a second wheelset for my gravel bike that has GP5000 TL 700x28mm tires at the moment. No doubt a great tire, but I now have a dedicated road bike so I'm thinking of switching these skinny GP5000s out for larger road+ tires. I'm strongly considering the Strada Bianca Pro HTLRs in 700x36mm.

Edit: Just saw yinzer's reply just above mine, which is very informative in comparing GP5000 vs. SBP

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I was looking at the GP5K vs Challence Strada 30s for my "country road" / travel tires to replace my g-one speeds. The GP5k looks to be grippier, but also more prone to picking up something sharp as the rubber looks to be less durable.

Also, tried the Corsa Controls here, but they flatted in the first outing when the tread picked up some glass. Replaced first tire and the other tire flatted the next ride. It's just wide enough and square enough to pickup things (GK SKs do the same thing)

rides4beer

by rides4beer

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:29 am
The important thing is though, once the tire is stretched, installed & ridden you generally won’t have any difficulty managing it on the side of the road if you get a flat and need to put a tube in. The tires stretch into shape and become much easier to get on and off, after a short time.

https://bikerumor.com/exclusive-new-tub ... e-quality/
That's good to hear, thanks. Gonna give 'em a try and keep the set of TSs I have on hold. :thumbup:

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Got my Getaways:
Installation:
Pretty tough to get them on the bead. Took me a cool 30 minutes. The biggest Problem was the thread laying flat, so it was super tough to push the bead into the rim bed.
Getting them set up tubeless was okay. Some bead leakage early on, but hopped into position quite quickly and kept tight on around 80ml of sealant per tire. A little more, than I'd usually use, but knowing the Strada Bianche, these tires are pretty thirsty.

Weight: 460g each.
Width: after the first ride, they were 39.9mm rear, 39.6mm front, on 25c internal hookless Zipps,

Ride: I usually do the maiden ride on too much air pressure, in order to compensate for potential pressure loss.
Comfort therefore is hard to judge.
However, they are really, really good. Fast on tarmac, good (not great) grip, and well capable of going off-road. I have my tire Test loop, with around 50 road/pavement, and 50 off-road, including sand, mud, fire road, chunky gravel, really beat pavement, forest paths and because of massive rain fall, even going through a river (1foot deep water with very light current). They mastered all of that pretty well, and I could have ridden them harder than I did.
Really wanna test them on the weekend on a long ride, but they feel like winners so far!

S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

warthog101

by warthog101

FlatlandClimber wrote:Got my Getaways:
Installation:
Pretty tough to get them on the bead. Took me a cool 30 minutes. The biggest Problem was the thread laying flat, so it was super tough to push the bead into the rim bed.
Getting them set up tubeless was okay. Some bead leakage early on, but hopped into position quite quickly and kept tight on around 80ml of sealant per tire. A little more, than I'd usually use, but knowing the Strada Bianche, these tires are pretty thirsty.

Weight: 460g each.
Width: after the first ride, they were 39.9mm rear, 39.6mm front, on 25c internal hookless Zipps,

Ride: I usually do the maiden ride on too much air pressure, in order to compensate for potential pressure loss.
Comfort therefore is hard to judge.
However, they are really, really good. Fast on tarmac, good (not great) grip, and well capable of going off-road. I have my tire Test loop, with around 50 road/pavement, and 50 off-road, including sand, mud, fire road, chunky gravel, really beat pavement, forest paths and because of massive rain fall, even going through a river (1foot deep water with very light current). They mastered all of that pretty well, and I could have ridden them harder than I did.
Really wanna test them on the weekend on a long ride, but they feel like winners so far!

Sounds great, thanks for the review.
Mine are on the way but I'll be waiting until I get my LB WR50s first. They are prob still another month away.

I like the look of that bag too.
What brand/model is it?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Thanks.
It's the Apidura Racing Frame bag.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Just hope that Challenge has upped their QA, since this is how my tire looked on my second ride. I also had to give up mounting the tire at home and had a LBS do it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com