Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have used them on hookless for thousands of k. They have issues, but staying on the hookless rim is not one of them.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

kostenlose bilder speichern

It's up for voting now! So let's vote and see how fast it really is!!
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uppis

by uppis

Okay, thanks. Have been using terra speeds only on hooked rims before. S-Works Pathfinders could work as well, any idea when its supposed to be available?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

uppis wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:04 pm
Okay, thanks. Have been using terra speeds only on hooked rims before. S-Works Pathfinders could work as well, any idea when its supposed to be available?
Mine are due to arrive tomorrow.
Can be ordered directly from Specialized.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

uppis

by uppis

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:33 pm
uppis wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:04 pm
Mine are due to arrive tomorrow.
Can be ordered directly from Specialized.
Alright, so ride reports coming up soon. I'll have to run studded tires for few more weeks, so no need to do decision before reviews.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

yinzerniner wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:09 pm
Interesting development from the big S. 435g per 42mm tire is quite nice, especially if they can roll faster and feel better than the already fast Pro model

https://bikerumor.com/new-specialized-s ... g-per-set/
So they just put less tread on it for a lower starting weight?

Singular

by Singular

ricerocket wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:23 pm
yinzerniner wrote:
Interesting development from the big S. 435g per 42mm tire is quite nice, especially if they can roll faster and feel better than the already fast Pro model

All else equal, less rubber is a shortcut to lower weight and rolling resistance (...and puncture resistance and durability, but...)

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Singular wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 pm
ricerocket wrote:
yinzerniner wrote:

All else equal, less rubber is a shortcut to lower weight and rolling resistance (...and puncture resistance and durability, but...)
According to that link and others they also changed the casing design. Less and different rubber compound config, different casing, lighter/faster/more supple tire supposedly. But most likely will lead to less puncture resistance.

Singular

by Singular

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:03 pm
Singular wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 pm
ricerocket wrote:
yinzerniner wrote:

According to that link and others they also changed the casing design. Less and different rubber compound config, different casing, lighter/faster/more supple tire supposedly. But most likely will lead to less puncture resistance.
Correct, there is quite a bit of difference - that's the reason for the "all else equal" first. In this case they've done a bit more, but simply opting for less rubber has the mentioned effects.

nickf

by nickf

Just switched from 38c Gravelking SS to 40c Conti Terra Speed TR. I have to say the Terra Speeds really do seem to roll much better, especially on the road. Just a few grams weight penalty with terra speeds. On the gravel, I cannot tell a difference between the tires when it comes to grip, comfort, and overall handling. BUT on the tarmac sections of my local routes and races can be for miles at a time. The gravelking SS always felt soft and mushy on the tarmac. Very muted with no feedback. With the terra speeds, they just feel like I'm running a road tire, even at lower pressures. They hum along nicely at speed. Also out of the saddle climbing the TS's don't feel as squishy. Maybe it's all in my head. I did run the Gravelking SS for a couple of seasons now so I am quite familiar with them.

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

nickf wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:26 pm
Just switched from 38c Gravelking SS to 40c Conti Terra Speed TR. I have to say the Terra Speeds really do seem to roll much better, especially on the road. Just a few grams weight penalty with terra speeds. On the gravel, I cannot tell a difference between the tires when it comes to grip, comfort, and overall handling. BUT on the tarmac sections of my local routes and races can be for miles at a time. The gravelking SS always felt soft and mushy on the tarmac. Very muted with no feedback. With the terra speeds, they just feel like I'm running a road tire, even at lower pressures. They hum along nicely at speed. Also out of the saddle climbing the TS's don't feel as squishy. Maybe it's all in my head. I did run the Gravelking SS for a couple of seasons now so I am quite familiar with them.
This is exactly my experience, the TS roll very well on pavement, not as quite fast as pure road tires but fast enough to do just fine on extended sections of pavement. And it makes sense, given that performance on smooth pavement is what drum tests best predict. Once you get offroad it gets more complicated and tire width, tread, and compound become important factors.

mathias720

by mathias720

so looking for a new tire.
currently running gravel king SS 38 mm

in the run is:
s-works pathfinder
conti Terra speed 40mm
challenge strada biance pro 40mm
challenge getaway pro 40mm

Currently leaning toward the strade 40mm but weight seems high (stated at 460g) same as getaway, so might go for a little more grip.

Getaway seems to have the best punture protection and grip off them all. with a low rolling resistance.

would that be the best tires even though i dont feel like needing more grip from my GK SS 38mm

rjich

by rjich

I just grabbed the 48mm version of these Soma Vitesse. Hoping it's decent. Made by panaracer too like RH. 380gm for 42c.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126 ... CsQAvD_BwE

I prefer 40c Terra speed which were about 460gm to 38c pathfinder pro 480gm, but didn't enjoy cornering in damp. Will report back on s works Pathfinder once they arrive too.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

mathias720 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:48 pm
so looking for a new tire.
currently running gravel king SS 38 mm

in the run is:
s-works pathfinder
conti Terra speed 40mm
challenge strada biance pro 40mm
challenge getaway pro 40mm

Currently leaning toward the strade 40mm but weight seems high (stated at 460g) same as getaway, so might go for a little more grip.

Getaway seems to have the best punture protection and grip off them all. with a low rolling resistance.

would that be the best tires even though i dont feel like needing more grip from my GK SS 38mm
There is also the Gravel Grinder which seems to be a GK SS style of tire, in the spectrum between the Strada Biance and Getaway. However according to BRR this has a much higher rolling resistance on smooth surface compared to the two you mentioned. It was tested in 2020 so maybe there was an older version. Looking at the tread it is not intuitive for it to have more resistance than the Getaway.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

Just a note on the Terra Speed: it does roll well. But, that is about it in my opinion. The grip is very mild on anything other than well groomed gravel tracks. I had set them up tubeless and after a few weeks the air was going through the whole of the casing. Also, the tiny knobs on the rear dont last long.