Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jemima

by jemima

Picking up a new SpeedKing 2.2 for the rear later this week. Planning on seeing how it goes on flatter rides.

Am I correct that these are not tubeless compatible? If so, I'm still going to give that setup a shot.

Keep the TB liteskin on the front for the time being.
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

All MTB Contis can be set up tubeless.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

jemima wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:10 am
Picking up a new SpeedKing 2.2 for the rear later this week. Planning on seeing how it goes on flatter rides.

Am I correct that these are not tubeless compatible? If so, I'm still going to give that setup a shot.

Keep the TB liteskin on the front for the time being.
Speedking in the back with the Raceking protection in the front could be a solid combo: nearly same on rolloing resistance and center tread on the front tire.

Archer13

by Archer13

jemima wrote:
It works, but you will need more sealant for the first time, and give it some time to seal sidewalls.
I've used Orange.

jemima

by jemima

Archer13 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:35 am
jemima wrote:
It works, but you will need more sealant for the first time, and give it some time to seal sidewalls.
I've used Orange.

Been using Orange Seal Endurance for a year or so.

Leave installs on either side for a day, so should be good. thanks.
Curve Grovel ti.

jemima

by jemima

SpeedKing Racesport 27.5x2.2 just mounted tubeless on 20mmInner (XR331) is 53.8mm @35psi. 450gm.

Goodbye ReneHerse 48mm extralight! (49mm on 22mmInner). 410gm.

SpeedKing is about 4mm or so taller also.
Curve Grovel ti.

zmjones

by zmjones

looks like we are going to be getting new g-ones with the new super casing as well as addix. at least for the bite, ultrabite, and all-round, as well as 700c x 45mm versions of the bite/ultrabite. new 650b versions too i think.

not many bikes will fit them but i've been running the latest version of the furious fred (29 x 2) for a bit now. they are pretty darn fast. ridiculously light though. seems they are being discontinued however. uncontrolled power climb comparisons suggest they are about as fast as the old pro ones.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

zmjones wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 am
looks like we are going to be getting new g-ones with the new super casing as well as addix. at least for the bite, ultrabite, and all-round, as well as 700c x 45mm versions of the bite/ultrabite. new 650b versions too i think.

not many bikes will fit them but i've been running the latest version of the furious fred (29 x 2) for a bit now. they are pretty darn fast. ridiculously light though. seems they are being discontinued however. uncontrolled power climb comparisons suggest they are about as fast as the old pro ones.
When are the new g-ones coming?

zmjones

by zmjones

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:44 am
zmjones wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:31 am

When are the new g-ones coming?
they are up on their website but not in stock. doesn't seem like the german retailers that usually get them first have them either. but i assume relatively soon.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Heads up.... Looks like Schwalbe is moving all their gravel tires to the slower rolling 67tpi casing. These look like they roll quite a bit slower than the 127tpi casing. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... e-allround

spartacus

by spartacus

How bad do you guys think the 650x47 WTB senderos that I got with my wheels are?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Those are basically a knobby Venture. The Venture gave up 20w to a G-One AllAround (22 vs 42watt) in Tours test. You're probably looking at 45w/tire with the knobs.... that's pretty awful unless it's giving you something. I'd look at a g-one bite / ultraBite or some XC MtB tire.

spartacus

by spartacus

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:10 am
Those are basically a knobby Venture. The Venture gave up 20w to a G-One AllAround (22 vs 42watt) in Tours test. You're probably looking at 45w/tire with the knobs.... that's pretty awful unless it's giving you something. I'd look at a g-one bite / ultraBite or some XC MtB tire.
Good lord I didn't think they would be that slow lol. I should just get thunder burts.

zmjones

by zmjones

spartacus wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:10 am
Good lord I didn't think they would be that slow lol. I should just get thunder burts.
yea that is disappointing. will be curious if tom and tour show similar results.

kervelo

by kervelo

Has anyone seen any RR figures for the Zipp tangente course G40? It is a 127TPI tyre, but with more offroad tread, so I suppose it cannot compete with the smoother gravel tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com