Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

AC0

by AC0

robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:00 pm
I currently have a set of Terra Speeds (old gen, I think, as I got them for 50% off or so) 40's which I'd like to mount to my road rims which are slightly narrow (21IW, 28 wide).

My questions are:
- how wide could I expect these Terra Speeds to balloon up to?
Terra Speeds are fairly narrow. Mine measured 40.5mm on 23mm internal width rims (hooked). Bicycle Rolling Resistance measure them at 38mm on 17.8mm rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

AC0 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:40 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:00 pm
I currently have a set of Terra Speeds (old gen, I think, as I got them for 50% off or so) 40's which I'd like to mount to my road rims which are slightly narrow (21IW, 28 wide).

My questions are:
- how wide could I expect these Terra Speeds to balloon up to?
Terra Speeds are fairly narrow. Mine measured 40.5mm on 23mm internal width rims (hooked). Bicycle Rolling Resistance measure them at 38mm on 17.8mm rims.
Thank you - there's some hope then. I suspect they may fit but have little mud clearance between tyre and FD battery.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Don’t be fooled by just looking a tread pattern, the type of compound and construction of the tyre also play really big part. Mezcals are actually a dry MTB race tyre, so they won’t be holding you back. Terreno wets do feel noticeably slower on tarmac (imagine the new Pirelli S are similar) but the grip is great and super confidence inspiring - there’s not many situations where less grip is good off-road! Whatever you choose it will be a compromise somewhere.

uquality

by uquality

Realized I hadn't come back to update on my experience with Tufo Speedero (rear) / Tufo Thundero (front) on my Exploro Racemax.
Mounted on Light Bicycle WR rims (25mm internal).
Fit is tight on the rear, but ok.

After delamination of my Pana GK SS tires, I went with the Tufos.

The Tufos are the Goldilocks tire I have been looking for. Great grip, minimal wear, FAST. Haven't had any punctures or cuts even on some rougher terrain.
Easy to setup and hold air well.

Sure I could get Schwalbe G-ONE RS that are 1W faster, but you also pay 3x the price.

warthog101

by warthog101

Puncture prone for me.
The Speedero was binned for that reason.
Have a patched Thundero on the rear currently.
Previously a front tyre.
Will see how long it lasts.

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Swampero is now listed in 44c as well on their own webshop!
https://www.tufo.com/en/gravel/detail/gravel-swampero/

I'm tempted to order them since I have been impressed by the thunderos.

Now during the winter I have used Pirelli M. Rolls better than I thought it would, no punctures. Worse grip on dry gravel than thundero, better in muddy conditions but not great. Feeling is stiff and the ride is quite uncomfortable imo. I have been playing around with tyre pressure but not much is happening while the Thundero is super sensitive on pressure from my experience.

So definitely a good allround tire as everyone already knows. But doesn't fit me really, swampero or mezcal is next on my list. Or just hang on another 2-3 months and put "summer" tyres on.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Looking for Southern California tires, which has steep pitches/decents, 2-10mm of sand over hard pack, and lots of rocks/water grooves - for an enjoyable ride. I tried semi-worn 38c Terra Speeds, but these didnt' have the grip for the pitches and decents, size for the gaps/rocks, or any corner grip. These will also be my dry w/ occasional mud puddle tires. I'm thinking no gravel tire knob is going to punch through the sand, so I just want a cornering knob to try to get an edge working.

I'm looking at:
Mich Gravel 47s
Pirelli M, RC, S in 45

@DouglasDDX are the Pirelli M's any good with mud puddles. They look like they would be, but I saw some forks saying the center block is go large/continueous, they don't have on-center stability.
The Tufo Swamps look good, but they are not really out yet.

Conti, Rene Herse, and a few others look OK, but don't make complete sense. The Mich tires look to be the same as the Pirelli's but are more durable.

BRyder

by BRyder

I saw a picture on IG of Pathfinder 700x47mm. I'm looking forward to trying these out, when they become available.

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

BRyder wrote:I saw a picture on IG of Pathfinder 700x47mm. I'm looking forward to trying these out, when they become available.
Where’d you see that? That sounds pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRyder

by BRyder

Instagram video. On a diverge STR

BRyder

by BRyder

I can't post the picture, but if you look at Laurens Ten Dams new STR on his Instagram account, there is a video of his bike. Pause the video on the front wheel 700x 47mm Pathfinder pro

voicycle

by voicycle

BRyder wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:05 am
I saw a picture on IG of Pathfinder 700x47mm. I'm looking forward to trying these out, when they become available.
I was just able to place an order for them from Tredz here in the UK. Specialized Concept Store website is also taking orders.

I've been waiting for this tyre for bikepacking races. I've got a set of 45c Cinturato Ms here still packaged - I was going to see if I liked them enough to use instead of my 42c Pathfinders in order to get a bit of extra volume, but what I really wanted was just a slightly bigger Pathfinder. Pirellis are now going back!

Cinturatos were also going to be an experiment in using a winter tyre, but realistically there aren't that many more 'winter' rides left this year. Plus when I ordered I hadn't considered the fact that 45s won't fit under my mudguards. Might try the M's in size 40 next winter, but for now I'll just stick with my Terra Speeds/Pathfinder 42s/Pathfinder 47s as my three options.

I'd love a longer lasting 'training' alternative to the Terra Speeds, but it seems like Tufo are more puncture-prone and, at least in the UK, Challenge Getaways are nearly double the price. It kind of makes it seem worth it to just keep going through three sets of Contis a year. I guess it's either that or spend more time on Pathfinders, but I really prefer the Contis unless I need the extra puncture protection, and especially if there are lots of paved roads linking up my gravel sections.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm
BRyder wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:05 am
I'd love a longer lasting 'training' alternative to the Terra Speeds, but it seems like Tufo are more puncture-prone and, at least in the UK, Challenge Getaways are nearly double the price. It kind of makes it seem worth it to just keep going through three sets of Contis a year. I guess it's either that or spend more time on Pathfinders, but I really prefer the Contis unless I need the extra puncture protection, and especially if there are lots of paved roads linking up my gravel sections.
The Terra Hardpack would be the very tyre you're describing but for some strange reason it's not offered in any smaller sizes than 50mm.

Michelin Power Gravel? I had good experiences with the 40mm version