Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tanhalt

by tanhalt

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:43 pm
Might be, but several of these tests were conducted within a short period of time. I guess there are bigger factors playing a role here.
The only thing to really keep track of is if tires are tested with butyl tubes or not (as you discovered). If tested tubeless, or with a latex tube, the results are no different. This is why I test with latex tubes. Butyl tubes typically add 3-4W per tire for "real world" rolling resistance.

As far as comparing across tests goes, obviously one can't compare absolute values. However, relative rankings and percent difference should hold across the different protocols. It's always good when there's at least one, or ideally more, tires to compare across tests, to act as a "guide".

In other words, there shouldn't be any other "bigger factors" at play...assuming a particular test doesn't completely "stuff" their testing.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I was pretty surprised with the rather poor result of the Vittoria Terreno Dry G+ 2.0 on BRR. After all, they tested extremely well on Gran Fondos test:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/vittoria- ... ry-review/
Not the all out fastest, sure. But GF's findings on the fastest tires were pretty similar to those of BRR (TerraSpeed, Pathfinder, and Cinturato Gravel H being the fastest). However, the results for the Terreno Dry tested 3 Watts slower than any of the above, which surprised me to see.
Then I found out, the Terreno tested by BRR are:

33c, run with a 160g tube, and also the TNT (tubeless and non tubeless) version, all of which could potentially cost significant watts.

That's why I requested the TLR, 40c version to be tested, as this might be one of the best All-round gravel tires. It boasts a treadpattern that works on many different surfaces (better than Terra Speed), is apparently easy to set up (better than Panaracer, Rene Herse and Challenge), is lighter than the heavy hitters like the Pathfinders and could roll as fast as a Pirelli Gravel H.
In case you are interested in also finding out, would be awesome if you voted for it:

Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:10 pm
I was pretty surprised with the rather poor result of the Vittoria Terreno Dry G+ 2.0 on BRR. After all, they tested extremely well on Gran Fondos test:
https://granfondo-cycling.com/vittoria- ... ry-review/
Not the all out fastest, sure. But GF's findings on the fastest tires were pretty similar to those of BRR (TerraSpeed, Pathfinder, and Cinturato Gravel H being the fastest). However, the results for the Terreno Dry tested 3 Watts slower than any of the above, which surprised me to see.
Then I found out, the Terreno tested by BRR are:

33c, run with a 160g tube, and also the TNT (tubeless and non tubeless) version, all of which could potentially cost significant watts.

That's why I requested the TLR, 40c version to be tested, as this might be one of the best All-round gravel tires. It boasts a treadpattern that works on many different surfaces (better than Terra Speed), is apparently easy to set up (better than Panaracer, Rene Herse and Challenge), is lighter than the heavy hitters like the Pathfinders and could roll as fast as a Pirelli Gravel H.
In case you are interested in also finding out, would be awesome if you voted for it:

Look at WHEN the Terreno Dry was tested as well. I think this may be one of those tires that has changed over time. I tested a 700x40C Terreno Dry back in May of 2018 and it rolled ~5W per tire @ 30kph slower than a Terra Speed on my protocol.

I think I would disagree with the opinion of it's tread pattern working "better than a Terra Speed" on various surfaces...
Last edited by tanhalt on Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TiCass

by TiCass

I don’t think the Grand Fondo review should be considered as actual testing. It’s a riders feedback. When someone claim This gravel tire is easy to accelerate and easy to keep at speed.… you know the reviewer is full of it.

I have the same tires on my bike, they feel meh at best. This is just as valid feedback as GF. I going to change them for the Terra Speed, I’ll let you know.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TiCass wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:25 pm
I don’t think the Grand Fondo review should be considered as actual testing. It’s a riders feedback. When someone claim This gravel tire is easy to accelerate and easy to keep at speed.… you know the reviewer is full of it.

I have the same tires on my bike, they feel meh at best. This is just as valid feedback as GF. I going to change them for the Terra Speed, I’ll let you know.
My pet peeve is when a reviewer conflates "easy to accelerate" with low weight...when what they're actually feeling (if anything) is the effects of rolling resistance :roll:

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

My qualm with the TerraSpeed is that the tread pattern just doesnt work for me. The knobs don't offer a significant amount of value (this is for me) over something like a Gravelking. The knobs are supper slippery in wet corners and also don't offer much in sand or mud. A Pathfinder or Gravelking SK just *bites* significantly better.
For only riding hard pack, light gravel or cobbles, the TerraSpeed is amazing. For anything more, doesnt give me a lot of confidence. Also, I heard a lot of things about it not being durable or puncture resistant (mine have held up fine).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

TiCass

by TiCass

tanhalt wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 pm
TiCass wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:25 pm

My pet peeve is when a reviewer conflates "easy to accelerate" with low weight...when what they're actually feeling (if anything) is the effects of rolling resistance :roll:
But if you had actually measured such thing, you show the data.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:36 pm
My qualm with the TerraSpeed is that the tread pattern just doesnt work for me. The knobs don't offer a significant amount of value (this is for me) over something like a Gravelking. The knobs are supper slippery in wet corners and also don't offer much in sand or mud. A Pathfinder or Gravelking SK just *bites* significantly better.
For only riding hard pack, light gravel or cobbles, the TerraSpeed is amazing. For anything more, doesnt give me a lot of confidence. Also, I heard a lot of things about it not being durable or puncture resistant (mine have held up fine).
The Terra Speed (and G-One Allaround) doesn't bite into loose-over-dry. If you're in SanDiego or on an aggregate groomed trail, they don't track or brake well. The Vittoria, GOne Bite, and Maxxis Rambler have better cornering in this area. The GK SKs flick little rocks, so they should be avoided if you're on sand or aggregate gravel - bascially what they're made for.

I wouldn't ever quote granfondo-cycling.com as a rolling resistance data source.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I honestly don’t run the Terra Speeds for anything other than the fact that they are just as fast as GK slicks and the knobs will mean they have better overall puncture protection in real-world riding. In hardback, but dusty conditions the knobs are better than slicks or semi-slicks.

I think they’re just about the perfect tire for someone on the pointy end of a Hopper style event, but not the very front. At the very front, I’d probably be using 36mm Strada Biancas.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:40 am
I honestly don’t run the Terra Speeds for anything other than the fact that they are just as fast as GK slicks and the knobs will mean they have better overall puncture protection in real-world riding. In hardback, but dusty conditions the knobs are better than slicks or semi-slicks.

I think they’re just about the perfect tire for someone on the pointy end of a Hopper style event, but not the very front. At the very front, I’d probably be using 36mm Strada Biancas.
...and have the "skillz" to pull it off 8) :thumbup:

edit: BTW, do you know that in my roller testing, the 36mm Strada Bianca Pro is predicted to be only ~3W per pair @30kph faster than the Terra Speeds on pavement?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tanhalt wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:57 am

edit: BTW, do you know that in my roller testing, the 36mm Strada Bianca Pro is predicted to be only ~3W per pair @30kph faster than the Terra Speeds on pavement?

Yeah it's not huge, which is why I opted for Terra Speeds at Huffmaster even though it was 60% pavement. I got into an early breakaway in my wave so I was very pleased to have fast tires. I averaged 31km/h, but spent much of the middle portion solo after my breakaway companions dropped me on a climb. The fastest pros averaged closer to 35km/h in a small lead group.

It's picking nits because TBH the Terra Speeds were terrifying on the last loose descent and also a handful on the flat kitty litter afterward. I think the end result would have been largely the same for me. For the pros it would have been a sprint finish over 55km/h. The Strada Biancas might be the difference in that case.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

While we're on this topic, is there ever an occasion for the GK SS? Wet rock? Traveling? Brick road ride?

They're 2w slower than the slick and 1w faster than the SK on BRRs test. Seems like if they were more aero than a SK or Terra Speed, they'd be a decent BWR tire. I doubt they're more aero. I just can't figure out what they're for.
https://cdn.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... g-ss-3.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:22 am
While we're on this topic, is there ever an occasion for the GK SS? Wet rock? Traveling? Brick road ride?

They're 2w slower than the slick and 1w faster than the SK on BRRs test. Seems like if they were more aero than a SK or Terra Speed, they'd be a decent BWR tire. I doubt they're more aero. I just can't figure out what they're for.
https://cdn.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... g-ss-3.jpg

Possibly better tread longevity than a Terra Speed I guess? Anyone thinking a GK SS would be a good option for BWR (SD) should just go with Terra Speeds instead. Otherwise they should be on even faster tires.

I ran 35mm Terra Speeds for Huffmaster this year and will probably run 40mm next year. I don't think I'll suffer that much an an aero penalty on pavement and I think it should be just enough for the loose descent down Huffmaster Grade.

Singular

by Singular

Is there a difference in construction between the SS and the Slick? All sources point to a 120 tpi casing on the SS, but I get a mixed bag of input on the Slick with both 120 and 126 tpi (and a subjectively much lighter/suppler construction in the Slick).

For what it's worth, all of my gravel racing ("racing") has been on slicks, almost exclusively the Vittoria Voyager Hyper which is a really, really underrated tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

The SS has a much thicker tread. It's a nice all around tire and holds air forever.