Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Anyone running the Continent TS on hookless rims like Zipp 303S, or some others???

What PSI r u running on pavement/dirt?

Thanks

henau212

by henau212

andy4g63 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:15 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:28 pm
andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm
I have Zipp's G40 Xplr tires to go on 303S, but wanted to try something with semi slick thread...
I like at least the looks on Vitoria tereno zero, but they say only on hooked rims, mine are hookless;
Anyone running them hookless???

Another possibility is Specialized PF, but again don't think they/Specialized/ recommend mounting on hookless rims... Anyone thoughts, experience??? Not sure how well they would be when cornering on road?

Third option is GK SS, but multiple people say, super hard to mount and traction is questionable...

Basically I want to try a tire, which isn't a full not slick to be on my gravel bike/only one set of wheels, so it's gonna be inconvenient to change tires often/...

Something that rolls very fast on pavement it's some capability Off road, has to be mounted tubeless and hookless, hold air well and around 700x38C.

Thanks for ur time gents...
1) I wouldn't worry about hookless rims here. None of these tires have super thing sidewalls.
2) THe Zipp G40 tires are relabeled Hutchenson Toureg (Mavic/Pirelli) FYI, they probably roll like a https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... i-gravel-h
3) If you look at most tests, you'll see the Conti Terra Speed would be the way to go if you're on a deformable dry surface and they also have a good sidewall. The Panaracer GKs and SS are also good. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-reviews The Pathfinders are good if you need some sharp rock protection (shale).
These two are only going to be 4w faster per pair. Unless you go Strada Bianca Pro or Rene Herse Extralight something or Schwable Pro One 34c (new), you probably won't be any faster. If you're off road, even perfect hard dirt trail, tire width makes a huge speed difference. The aero cost of the knobs is about 1.5w per size incriment from 25c (28, 32, 35, 38/40, etc) and the mini-knobs coase about 1w at 30kph - so there's not much of a cost for the knobs, but the size costs about 6w (3kph ish) . When you get into the bigger knobs, the rubber needs to be harder to support the knob, so the tire is slower.

FWIW, I've run Schwalbe/Conti/Maxxis hookless in this space without issue. From what I've seen the issue is pretty limited to narrow rim lip (aero) road tires with super thin sidewalls. The smaller tire puts a lot of pressure on a specific spot if hit a bump while cornering. This all happened becuase Evne was playing it fast and loose with their testing. They probably just tested all the tires with a tube in them for speed. Also, the Zipp's use a 2mm rim edge (23mm int/27mm external)
Thanks again, after reading another few reviews and some mo,re on bike forums, I went with ContiTS..

Not sure if it's always my luck, but som people reported weight as low as 405-410 grams a tire.
Mine are anchors @463-465 each. May be the cream wall version is heavier🤔🙈😃
No, it is not. There was a running chance for the TS at Conti (more puncture protection as far as I heard). Tires of the newer batches since early last year are heavier. My last ones were around 465-470. Official: black 465, cream 465, trans 475.
Last edited by henau212 on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

henau212

by henau212

emotive

by emotive

Singular wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:21 am
emotive wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:01 pm
I have 38mm Barlow Pass Extralight on one wheelset, and 42mm Pathfinder Pros on another set. I have a local 3.2km rail trail climb which averages 1/2%, and makes for a great real world tyre test. I did the same climb 2 weeks apart:

7m46 @252W on the Barlow Pass Extralight 38mm with a 13kmh tailwind @19C
7m50 @ 242W on the Pathfinder Pro 42mm with a 21kmh headwind @39C

I was surprised to see the Pathfinder get almost the same time with less watts. As a third datapoint, I've ridden this segment 27 times, and my PR is
7m33 @264W on the Roubaix Pro 32mm with a 19kmh tailwind @21C.

My conclusion is that I'm really not giving up much rolling resistance to have 42mm of cushioning, and some side grip for cornering.
Real-world testing is great, but also presents a few challenges - in your case, the strong tailwind is one that massively affects the time but the difference in temperature is another. I'd guess that it's a good ten-ish seconds just from the temperature (but this is of course offset by the assumption that one struggles to perform as well in 39°).
If we could correct say 10s for the tailwind , and adjust the Barlow Pass time without a tailwind to 7m56s and adjust the Pathfinder time with a headwind to 7m31s that makes the Pathfinder rolling resistance even more surprising.

I do get HR drift with high temperatures. I left my HR figures out of it, and focused on the Watts required, despite the ambient temperature.

JasperTT

by JasperTT

andy4g63 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:19 pm
Anyone running the Continent TS on hookless rims like Zipp 303S, or some others???

What PSI r u running on pavement/dirt?

Thanks
Conti TS 40mm on hookless 25mm internal. Running around 28-30psi @84KG. Tyres measure the stated 40mm on my rims.

JasperTT

by JasperTT

double post

Singular

by Singular

emotive wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:29 pm
Singular wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:21 am
emotive wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:01 pm
I have 38mm Barlow Pass Extralight on one wheelset, and 42mm Pathfinder Pros on another set. I have a local 3.2km rail trail climb which averages 1/2%, and makes for a great real world tyre test. I did the same climb 2 weeks apart:

7m46 @252W on the Barlow Pass Extralight 38mm with a 13kmh tailwind @19C
7m50 @ 242W on the Pathfinder Pro 42mm with a 21kmh headwind @39C

I was surprised to see the Pathfinder get almost the same time with less watts. As a third datapoint, I've ridden this segment 27 times, and my PR is
7m33 @264W on the Roubaix Pro 32mm with a 19kmh tailwind @21C.

My conclusion is that I'm really not giving up much rolling resistance to have 42mm of cushioning, and some side grip for cornering.
Real-world testing is great, but also presents a few challenges - in your case, the strong tailwind is one that massively affects the time but the difference in temperature is another. I'd guess that it's a good ten-ish seconds just from the temperature (but this is of course offset by the assumption that one struggles to perform as well in 39°).
If we could correct say 10s for the tailwind , and adjust the Barlow Pass time without a tailwind to 7m56s and adjust the Pathfinder time with a headwind to 7m31s that makes the Pathfinder rolling resistance even more surprising.

I do get HR drift with high temperatures. I left my HR figures out of it, and focused on the Watts required, despite the ambient temperature.
My bad - I read both as tailwind.

...which makes it even more remarkable. The temperature is not much of a difference (some napkin math gives 5-6 seconds over the mentioned distance), but the wind is really hard to grasp. I assume that it is a fairly sheltered/not exposed segment, as the wind delta (34 km/h!) would be a good five minutes of difference if it was free to play out its powers.

Guesstimates aside, the Pathfinder is for sure a swift tyre.

emotive

by emotive

The last half of the climb is dug into the hill and quite sheltered as it’s an old rail trail.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

warthog101

by warthog101

Tappa dbl post
Last edited by warthog101 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog101

by warthog101

Yeah they look nice and test well

So did I

rides4beer

by rides4beer

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:41 pm
Oh wow!
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... y-pro-htlr
Ordered a pair!
I have a pair of Conti TS that were next at bat, but might have to put those on hold and try these out! I've already had a couple of sets of the 40mm TS, great tire, but they wear pretty fast. The Getaway Pro is a hair faster, scored 10 points higher in puncture resistance, and according to reviews is supposed to be fairly durable. If the durability falls somewhere between the TS and Pathfinder Pro (which I'm currently on, also a good all around tire), I'd be happy with that.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The Pathfinder really need that S-Works version to come out. The have the best tread pattern imo, and are fast and durable for their weight. But if they were 50g lighter or so, with just a little less durability, but more speed, they'd be 10/10.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

rides4beer wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:53 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:41 pm
Oh wow!
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... y-pro-htlr
Ordered a pair!
I have a pair of Conti TS that were next at bat, but might have to put those on hold and try these out! I've already had a couple of sets of the 40mm TS, great tire, but they wear pretty fast. The Getaway Pro is a hair faster, scored 10 points higher in puncture resistance, and according to reviews is supposed to be fairly durable. If the durability falls somewhere between the TS and Pathfinder Pro (which I'm currently on, also a good all around tire), I'd be happy with that.
I had a set of the Getaways, and replaced them with Conti Terra Speed in 40mm. Just my subjective observations (YMMV):
-Getaway is a much nicer looking tire. Cream sidewall on Contis is nice, but Getaways have that bit more color depth and nicer tanwall shade.
-Getaways are MUCH harder to mount tubeless. Takes baby powder, multiple tire levers, patience and divine intervention! But for real they are a bear to mount the first time.
-Weight is roughly the same (~460-465g)
-Comfort feels better on the Getaway, but Contis seem to react better to accelerations/feel faster. Whether the Contis "feel" faster because of the stiffer casing, or just some sort of placebo effect I'm not so sure
-Drypack traction and speed seems better on the Contis, wet grass traction better on the Getaways but speed better on the Contis, mud better speed and traction on the Getaways.
-On wet tarmac the Contis seem to have better traction, but not sure if that's due to rubber compound or casing feel.
-Getaways wore very quick, especially on pavement. I'm a heavier rider so YMMV, but the rubber seemed to show increased wear with every ride. I've only gotten about 500 miles of riding on the Contis but they seem to be wearing at a lesser rate.
-Can't comment on puncture resistance as didn't get holes large enough on either tire so far that wasn't sealed up by Orange Seal Endurance
-All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either tire. But for performance/looks combo the Getaway is probably the better choice, just that it falls behind on the price/longevity in my experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

^^Thanks.
Got both. Just waiting on the WR50s to try them out on. :)