Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 am
Just wanted to add to the thread, that the Specialized Pathfinder Pro are fire af.
Comfy, fast and enough traction on even muddier terrain.
Like them even better than the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H.
Curious on what about the Pathfinder Pro that you prefer over the Gravel H? I have the Gravel H right now and I'm pretty satisfied (rolls fast, good puncture resistance, decent grip on gravel), but the Pathfinder Pro might be my next tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

scoobydrew wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:54 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 am
Just wanted to add to the thread, that the Specialized Pathfinder Pro are fire af.
Comfy, fast and enough traction on even muddier terrain.
Like them even better than the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H.
Curious on what about the Pathfinder Pro that you prefer over the Gravel H? I have the Gravel H right now and I'm pretty satisfied (rolls fast, good puncture resistance, decent grip on gravel), but the Pathfinder Pro might be my next tires.
Unless the PFP "2" release in ages from now, I'd definitely wait for those to release.
The Gravel H are awesome, but the pathfinders just feel a little faster on the road and grippy enough on the dirt.
In case the new ones are faster, 🔥
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Good addition to gravel tire rolling resistance topic: 35 and 40 Gravel King perform better than 32mm version (because 32mm version have thicker tread).
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison

spartacus

by spartacus

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:42 pm
Good addition to gravel tire rolling resistance topic: 35 and 40 Gravel King perform better than 32mm version (because 32mm version have thicker tread).
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... comparison
Members only :(

Hexsense

by Hexsense

If you don't want to pay, my comment above pretty much sum it up the conclusion.

zaykay

by zaykay

Terra Speeds wear really fast and they get cuts and sealant leaks really easily. Not going to bother with another set. I replaced them with Gravelking SS which roll as fast and are more comfortable. Grip is more or less the same and they are lighter when comparing the same real width (35mm compares to 40mm terra speed).

eljamoquio

by eljamoquio

youngs_modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:30 pm
And if you insist on comparing absolute numbers—a bit of a fool's errand, frankly—ignore watts and look at the actual coefficient of rolling resistance. These are the direct results of the experiments, while "watts" are derived results—they depend on several different variables, and no two testers use the same sets of variables.
I agree that it's ridiculous to look at anything except CRR, but I just want to re-emphasize to never try to compile two different tests from two different sites.

Hell I've spent years testing on rolls (automotive, not cycling) and I'd never compare between two different EPA certified locations. I don't like even comparing between two different days. I definitely - again, this is with the best equipment in the industry - see trends between what is tested first, and what is tested last, so I'd generally repeat each test three times, going back and forth between setup A and setup B, to produce valid, verified-repeatable results.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

zaykay wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:33 pm
Terra Speeds wear really fast and they get cuts and sealant leaks really easily. Not going to bother with another set. I replaced them with Gravelking SS which roll as fast and are more comfortable. Grip is more or less the same and they are lighter when comparing the same real width (35mm compares to 40mm terra speed).
I kinda agree with this assessment but when new the Contis have significant tread along the middle which will come with a rolling resistance penalty. I think overall they are a very fast tyre, it just depends on what tread pattern you want. If they came out with a file tread version on that carcass it would be fast.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

eljamoquio wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:49 am
youngs_modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:30 pm
And if you insist on comparing absolute numbers—a bit of a fool's errand, frankly—ignore watts and look at the actual coefficient of rolling resistance. These are the direct results of the experiments, while "watts" are derived results—they depend on several different variables, and no two testers use the same sets of variables.
I agree that it's ridiculous to look at anything except CRR, but I just want to re-emphasize to never try to compile two different tests from two different sites.

Hell I've spent years testing on rolls (automotive, not cycling) and I'd never compare between two different EPA certified locations. I don't like even comparing between two different days. I definitely - again, this is with the best equipment in the industry - see trends between what is tested first, and what is tested last, so I'd generally repeat each test three times, going back and forth between setup A and setup B, to produce valid, verified-repeatable results.
eljamoquio is wise.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

After now 800km of riding in the past 5 weeks, I am super happy with the Pathfinder Pro in 42c (44mm measured width on 25mm internal rim width).
Despite some proper mud, loose sand, and rocky terrain, they have held up super well, roll proper fast, and kept me afloat for 99% of the way (some rooty trails were too much).
Subjectively, they feel as fast as the Pirelli Gravel H (45c) I've used previously, and I'd say the threadpattern is more effective, and the width is actually about equal (43 vs 44 on the front, 44 vs 45 on the rear).
Set up was also super easy. 60ml of sealant and even a liner inside, add a lot of puncture protection.

If I had 2 things to criticize: the tires are quite heavy, which is great for puncture resistance, but bad on the scales.
Secondly, I am still struggling slightly with finding the right tire pressure.
SRAM AXS tire pressure guide recommends around 31psi front and rear, and I gotta say, that it is too low for me to feel confident.
The rear tire feels squishy at this low pressure and I feel like it is moving left and right during fast cornering. Front tire works pretty great at 30psi.
Therefore I run 38psi rear and 34psi front, which feels faster and more precise in corners, but obviously reduces comfort. On bumpy terrain (tractor tracks or chunky rocks), comfort is not great.
Comparing this with the 650b Conti RaceKing ProTection (not a fair comparison, I know), that I run at just under 28psi front and rear), this is a night and day difference.

I guess this will take some more figuring out, to solve this. All else, great fast tire!
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

fa63

by fa63

If 30 psi feels good up front and 31 feels soft in the rear, maybe try 33-34 psi in the rear?

I weigh 100kg / 220lbs and run my Pathfinder Pro 42c at 36 psi rear / 34 psi front on 25c internal rims.

Marin

by Marin

Quick reminder, this thread was intended to post actual rolling resistance *test results*. Feelz don't count

tritiltheend

by tritiltheend

petromyzon wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 am
I kinda agree with this assessment but when new the Contis have significant tread along the middle which will come with a rolling resistance penalty. I think overall they are a very fast tyre, it just depends on what tread pattern you want. If they came out with a file tread version on that carcass it would be fast.
Not sure why you're talking about the tread as having a rolling resistance penalty? It seems some folks seem to fixate on what tires look like and assume that anything that has a smooth tread or center ridge will be fast. The BRR tests are very predictive of the performance on pavement, and the Terra Speed even with its tread is one of the fastest gravel tires, and the fastest tire they've tested that isn't a slick or file tread. It's faster than some slick tires and ones that have a center smooth tread. It's not as if BRR tested the tire after the tread was worn off.

I seem to be getting reasonable wear out of mine. They are a high performance tire so you shouldn't expect to get 4000 miles out of them. Even if the rear knobs are mostly worn down they'll still have more tread than the smooth tires that are also fast.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Marin wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:24 pm
Quick reminder, this thread was intended to post actual rolling resistance *test results*. Feelz don't count
I didn't intend this as "this tire feels faster than that - so it is faster" but rather as a "the Specialized Pathfinder Pro 42c - a tire that tests pretty fast - is the fastest capable tire I know. Or the most capable fast tire... how ever you want.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

tanhalt

by tanhalt

tritiltheend wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:16 am
petromyzon wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 am
Not sure why you're talking about the tread as having a rolling resistance penalty? It seems some folks seem to fixate on what tires look like and assume that anything that has a smooth tread or center ridge will be fast. The BRR tests are very predictive of the performance on pavement, and the Terra Speed even with its tread is one of the fastest gravel tires, and the fastest tire they've tested that isn't a slick or file tread. It's faster than some slick tires and ones that have a center smooth tread. It's not as if BRR tested the tire after the tread was worn off.

I seem to be getting reasonable wear out of mine. They are a high performance tire so you shouldn't expect to get 4000 miles out of them. Even if the rear knobs are mostly worn down they'll still have more tread than the smooth tires that are also fast.
Exactly :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com