Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RDY

by RDY

I haven't had an issue with Enve (Tufo) SES. I'm running a 29 front and 31 rear. I haven't ridden them much yet as I'm awaiting a new stem for my road bike, but they seem to be pretty resistant to cuts, and I haven't yet had anything major puncture them. If you're running them with tubes I can see them being problematic given how supple they are though.

Currently on 38mm GK SS on the gravel bike. I have 40mm Challenge Getaway HTLRs to try once those are worn out. Still want to try the Thundero though. If they're close to GK SS or Getaway TLR then they're a no brainer given how cheap they are. In this category I can see the Getaway TLRs remaining king for a while, but given how expensive they are and how much Challenge handmade tire sidewalls like to delaminate, I'd really rather run something else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I wouldn’t want to speculate the ‘why’, the Tufo test fast but I’ve been using them for a couple of months now and they seem to apply themselves well in real world applications. Purely anecdotal I realise but I’ve picked up noticeably more Strava medals and KOMs using them - mostly off road, but also some pretty competitive 40mph road descents as well.
First proper gravel race end of this month and I will definitely be using them.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I just ordered up a pair of the Schwalbe G-One RS to have set up in time for BWR Kansas. Hopefully they'll be fast and durable. I was happy with my Challenge Getaway Pro tires until Unbound when they got sliced up really quick.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

JasperTT

by JasperTT

Nohands83 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:07 pm
I wouldn’t want to speculate the ‘why’, the Tufo test fast but I’ve been using them for a couple of months now and they seem to apply themselves well in real world applications. Purely anecdotal I realise but I’ve picked up noticeably more Strava medals and KOMs using them - mostly off road, but also some pretty competitive 40mph road descents as well.
First proper gravel race end of this month and I will definitely be using them.
I've got around 2000 miles on the Thunderos (UK) and have found them to be superb. Previous favourite tyre was Conti Terra speed and the Thunderos are just as fast if not faster, but more importantly they are way grippier in the mud and wet. They are a no-brainer considering you can get 2 for the price of 1 Schwalbe G-one RS.

warthog101

by warthog101

Found the puncture resistance of the Tufos terrible, they are gone for that reason.
Currently using Conti Terra speed on the front and Challenge getaway pro on the rear.
Very happy so far, but not alot of distance on this combo yet.

JasperTT

by JasperTT

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:48 am
Found the puncture resistance of the Tufos terrible, they are gone for that reason.
Currently using Conti Terra speed on the front and Challenge getaway pro on the rear.
In 2000 miles I've only had 1 puncture on the Thundero's, and that was from being lazy and forgetting to top up sealant. This is on all terain including glass strewn city centre paths on my commute. The wear is a million times better than the Conti's, they woud of been toast with 2k miles on them.

warthog101

by warthog101

JasperTT wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:39 am
warthog101 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:48 am
In 2000 miles I've only had 1 puncture on the Thundero's, and that was from being lazy and forgetting to top up sealant. This is on all terain including glass strewn city centre paths on my commute. The wear is a million times better than the Conti's, they woud of been toast with 2k miles on them.
I have a post on the previous page of this thread showing a stick that went through my speedero.
It punctured again next ride.
The front thundero also punctured twice over a longer time period requiring a tube each time.
To my knowledge same carcass as the speedero. Not very strong ime.

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Only done 1000km so far with my 44mm Thunderos. But so far very happy with them, very easy to set up tubeless, fast and no punctures.
Would like some more front grip on the really dry and dusty parts

Greny

by Greny

Anybody know where I can find a pair of Schwalbe G-One RS in Europe .Prefer the 40 size . The sites I normally order are all out of stock. Would consider the 35 size .

kervelo

by kervelo

Greny wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm
Anybody know where I can find a pair of Schwalbe G-One RS in Europe .Prefer the 40 size . The sites I normally order are all out of stock. Would consider the 35 size .
Bike-discount and r2 have 45 mm in stock, but I cannot remember seeing 40 mm anywhere recently.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:48 pm
Mind you the tire is TINY!
These are basically 32c, 37c and 42c.
Order accordingly.
Mine are the 40s, and they are right around 38mm wide on a 25mm internal hookless.
This is interesting. I just got my 40c versions installed and at 35psi on a hooked 20c internal wheel, they measure up to 39.5mm. I would think on a 25mm internal they should be much wider. When I first seated them at 70psi, they stretched to about 40.5mm, but I won't run them at that pressure.

Plus note, they were super easy to install and seated no problem on a standard floor pump. I found it interesting that they have alternate rotation directions based on whether they're mounted on the front or rear. Don't see that often.

https://youtu.be/Gm6C_mDQ0ko
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

Hey Guys,
Iam looking for a fast gravel tire in 35/36mm for 70% pavement/hard pack and 30% gravel.
I am not sure which one I should choose.
My favorites are:
- Schwalbe G-One RS
- Vittoria Terreno Dry
- Tufo Thundero
The Schwalbe one is very expensive. For one Schwalbe I am getting two of the Vittorias or Tufos.
The rolling resistance for the Schwalbe is according to BRR impressly, better then Tufo and the Vittoria.
Is it the price for the Schwalbe worth or should I go with the Tufo or the Vittoria.
I am not sure if the difference of the rolling resistance of the 3 tires are so much noticeable for me.
Thank you very much for your help.
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

stoney

by stoney

If I were racing the course I'd probably opt for the Schwalbe to get every last watt out of myself. If not racing, I'd go with the Vittoria.

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

Deihlos91 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46 pm
Hey Guys,
Iam looking for a fast gravel tire in 35/36mm for 70% pavement/hard pack and 30% gravel.
My favorites are:
- Schwalbe G-One RS
- Vittoria Terreno Dry
- Tufo Thundero
The Schwalbe one is very expensive. For one Schwalbe I am getting two of the Vittorias or Tufos.
The rolling resistance for the Schwalbe is according to BRR impressly, better then Tufo and the Vittoria.
Is it the price for the Schwalbe worth or should I go with the Tufo or the Vittoria.
I am not sure if the difference of the rolling resistance of the 3 tires are so much noticeable for me.
I went for a 38mm gravelking SS and have no regrets. BRR had them as superior to the terreno's in rolling resistance and I read too many hit-or-miss reviews on the vittoria puncture resistance on this particular tire. If the G-One RS was out when I purchase this spring, I would have seriously considered them but I got both my GK SS tires for under 100 all in.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

ComeKnowMeAsGC wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:43 pm
Deihlos91 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46 pm
Hey Guys,
My favorites are:
- Schwalbe G-One RS
- Vittoria Terreno Dry
- Tufo Thundero
I went for a 38mm gravelking SS and have no regrets. BRR had them as superior to the terreno's in rolling resistance and I read too many hit-or-miss reviews on the vittoria puncture resistance on this particular tire. If the G-One RS was out when I purchase this spring, I would have seriously considered them but I got both my GK SS tires for under 100 all in.
The gravelking SS is a quality tire. Only 2 watts less than a terraspeed, lighter and lasts forever.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com