Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

Received my pair today !

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

^^ looks like a fast rear tyre.
They wear the fastest anyway.
I'd prefer something a bit more aggressive on the front for my sort of riding.

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

nismosr wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 am
Received my pair today !

Interested to see rolling resistance data for these, look like they could be a good option

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Could be fun to pair a R on the front with an RS on the back.

warthog101

by warthog101

CampagYOLO wrote:Could be fun to pair a R on the front with an RS on the back.
That sounds like a great combo

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Just fitted a set of Tufo Thundero 44mm, 475g each - so 25g heavier than spec. Come up 46mm on my 25mm Roval wheels. Pretty straightforward tubeless install. Will report back will ride impressions.

Jdadour

by Jdadour

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:38 pm
Just fitted a set of Tufo Thundero 44mm, 475g each - so 25g heavier than spec. Come up 46mm on my 25mm Roval wheels. Pretty straightforward tubeless install. Will report back will ride impressions.
Excellent, very interested to get this tire, and hope they are available in the US soon. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

warthog101

by warthog101

Have been running a 40mm Tufo thundero on the front of my gravelly for a while.
A good tyre, and rolls well on BRR.
Did have a speedero on the rear also.
It proved too fragile despite being fast.
Now have a Pirelli cinturato gravel H on the rear.
Happy with this combo for my gravel road riding.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Are there any 650B tires that match the following criteria?
- fast rolling
- competent in off-road terrain
- 38-40 mm in width

I just got a Canyon Grail and I'm not satisfied with the equipped Schwalbe G-One Bite 40 mm, which feel absolutely slow to me. I'm coming from a road bike (Canyon Endurace & Aeroad) background though, so I'm trying to tame my expectations. Since I'm quite small it's a 2XS Grail frame which only supports 650B wheels.

The Continental Terra Speed were my tires of choice when I did my research before buying the bike. So it might all be fine. However after some additional research it seems this might also be my only choice since hardly anyone offers fast 40 mm gravel tires for 650B wheels. Pathfinder, G-One RS, Challenge Stradi Bianca, Vittoria Terreno Dry...all tires I have to rule out. If Continental someday decides to stop manufacturing 40-584 I could possibly be out of options.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:23 pm
- fast rolling
- 38-40 mm in width

I just got a Canyon Grail and I'm not satisfied with the equipped Schwalbe G-One Bite 40 mm, which feel absolutely slow to me. I'm coming from a road bike (Canyon Endurace & Aeroad) background though, so I'm trying to tame my expectations. Since I'm quite small it's a 2XS Grail frame which only supports 650B wheels.

The Continental Terra Speed were my tires of choice when I did my research before buying the bike. So it might all be fine. However after some additional research it seems this might also be my only choice since hardly anyone offers fast 40 mm gravel tires for 650B wheels. Pathfinder, G-One RS, Challenge Stradi Bianca, Vittoria Terreno Dry...all tires I have to rule out. If Continental someday decides to stop manufacturing 40-584 I could possibly be out of options.
They're not cheap but there's a few options from Rene Herse if you can stretch to 42mm

https://www.renehersecycles.com/product ... ires/650b/

Cheaper, the Panaracer Gravelking comes in 1.5" which is about 38mm:

https://www.panaracer.co.uk/shop-c1/tyr ... g-tyre-p48

thirdsun

by thirdsun

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:36 pm
thirdsun wrote:
- fast rolling
- 38-40 mm in width

They're not cheap but there's a few options from Rene Herse if you can stretch to 42mm

Thank you. Yes, I saw the Panaracers but didn't consider them since they appear to not be suitable at all for anything but hard surfaces. Should I think again? Do they manage just fine on gravel, loose ground and simple trails? I wish Panaracer would offer more tires in 40-584.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:49 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:36 pm
thirdsun wrote:
- fast rolling
- 38-40 mm in width

Thank you. Yes, I saw the Panaracers but didn't consider them since they appear to not be suitable at all for anything but hard surfaces. Should I think again? Do they manage just fine on gravel, loose ground and simple trails? I wish Panaracer would offer more tires in 40-584.
They'll be alright when it's dry and as long as the gravel isn't too deep or chunky. I kinda guessed that you may have wanted something for conditions that weren't too challenging otherwise you'd have stuck with the G-One Bites which are good tyres for rougher conditions but aren't the fastest on more forgiving terrain.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:59 pm
They'll be alright when it's dry and as long as the gravel isn't too deep or chunky. I kinda guessed that you may have wanted something for conditions that weren't too challenging otherwise you'd have stuck with the G-One Bites which are good tyres for rougher conditions but aren't the fastest on more forgiving terrain.
That's indeed the dilemma: I want something that manages both rather competently. Well, I'll see how the Terra Speed will handle.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Pretty happy with these after 4 50-60km rides. I’ve taken them on some pretty rough surfaces and they’ve held up well - better than I expected tbh. Roll on hard pack very well, probably a few more rear wheel spin outs compared to my Pirelli H so maybe a touch less grippy. Will be keeping on them for the next couple of months till it starts to get wetter. Only major flaw I can see is that the tan walls are painted on.

skom25

by skom25

I have Tufo Gravel Speedero 40c. Real width on 22.5 mm rim is little above 42 mm.

Very fast tires on tarmac, gravel and small stones. Not very good on sand, but I think nobody expect that.

Pressure range declared by manufacturer is from 2 to 5 Bar. I weigh little below 60 kg and ride on 2.0 is almost perfectly smooth. Of course in that case, rolling resistance is quite high, but still in acceptable range.

Tires are handmade in Czech Republic, so it is quite nice to have something which is not done in Asia. I saw also quite funny mistake, when brand new Tufo Thunder had Thundero logo on one side, and Speedero on the other. Handmade without a doubt.

Important information is that "skinwall" version i much lighter than black. Difference is around 40g on 40c tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com