Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tobic

by Tobic

Anyone had a look at BRR testing of Rene Herses Snoqualmie Pass?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

Tobic wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm
Anyone had a look at BRR testing of Rene Herses Snoqualmie Pass?
Taking from the Riding Gravel forum.

Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass 44-622
Rolling Resistance Test Results (lower is better)
Casing Extra Light Standard Endurance Endurance+
Inner Tube Conti Cross28 Conti Cross28 Conti Cross28 Conti Cross28
Measured width 40.4 mm 39.6 mm 40.4 mm 40.0 mm
Rolling Resistance
50 psi / 3.4 bar 14.4 Watts 17.3 Watts 19.0 Watts 24.2 Watts
Rolling Resistance
42 psi / 2.9 bar 15.7 Watts 18.5 Watts 20.6 Watts 25.4 Watts
Rolling Resistance
33 psi / 2.3 bar 17.3 Watts 21.2 Watts 23.4 Watts 28.1 Watts
Rolling Resistance
25 psi / 1.7 bar 21.3 Watts 24.9 Watts 28.6 Watts 33.0 Watts

Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass 44-622
Puncture Resistance Test Results (higher is better)
Casing Extra Light Standard Endurance Endurance+
Total Puncture Score Tread 33 Points 34 Points 41 Points 48 Points
Total Puncture Score Sidewall 9 Points 7 Points 19 Points 23 Points

Casio20

by Casio20

Which tire would you recommend, max 38mm as I'm using it on a road bike, that's the absolute maximum with additional tire clearance. I need something with a little bit grip in order to ride on gravel, but the rolling resistance is the most important factor for me, thanks in advance for your support

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

35mm TerraSpeed is probably the best compromise of super fast and a little grip.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Casio20 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:40 pm
Which tire would you recommend, max 38mm as I'm using it on a road bike, that's the absolute maximum with additional tire clearance. I need something with a little bit grip in order to ride on gravel, but the rolling resistance is the most important factor for me, thanks in advance for your support
I'd go for 36mm Challenge Strada Bianca or Rene Herse Bon Jon Passes in the Extralight compound if you want the weight weenie option.

Marin

by Marin

Or just Gravelking Slick, Semislick or SK. The Slick is almost as fast as the Herse Bon Jon EL at less than half the price, check out BRR

texano999

by texano999

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:12 pm
35mm TerraSpeed is probably the best compromise of super fast and a little grip.
i would go on 40 size

Casio20

by Casio20

How much tire clearance would you risk as minimum 😊

emotive

by emotive

Casio20 wrote:How much tire clearance would you risk as minimum Image
3mm on dry tarmac
4mm on dry gravel
7mm on wet gravel

Casio20

by Casio20

Oh no, then I need to go for 33mm 😁😁

andy4g63

by andy4g63

I have Zipp's G40 Xplr tires to go on 303S, but wanted to try something with semi slick thread...
I like at least the looks on Vitoria tereno zero, but they say only on hooked rims, mine are hookless;
Anyone running them hookless???

Another possibility is Specialized PF, but again don't think they/Specialized/ recommend mounting on hookless rims... Anyone thoughts, experience??? Not sure how well they would be when cornering on road?

Third option is GK SS, but multiple people say, super hard to mount and traction is questionable...

Basically I want to try a tire, which isn't a full not slick to be on my gravel bike/only one set of wheels, so it's gonna be inconvenient to change tires often/...

Something that rolls very fast on pavement it's some capability Off road, has to be mounted tubeless and hookless, hold air well and around 700x38C.

Thanks for ur time gents...

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:12 pm
I have Zipp's G40 Xplr tires to go on 303S, but wanted to try something with semi slick thread...
I like at least the looks on Vitoria tereno zero, but they say only on hooked rims, mine are hookless;

Another possibility is Specialized PF, but again don't think they/Specialized/ recommend mounting on hookless rims... Anyone thoughts, experience??? Not sure how well they would be when cornering on road?

Third option is GK SS, but multiple people say, super hard to mount and traction is questionable...

Basically I want to try a tire, which isn't a full not slick to be on my gravel bike/only one set of wheels, so it's gonna be inconvenient to change tires often/...

Something that rolls very fast on pavement it's some capability Off road, has to be mounted tubeless and hookless, hold air well and around 700x38C.

Tufo Speedero would meet your criteria:

https://www.tufo.com/en/gravel/detail/gravel-speedero/

Woland

by Woland

andy4g63 wrote:

I'm planning to put Challenge Strada Bianca on my 303s' next. Challenge customer service confirms that they are tubeless compatible from 33c upwards.

On a side note, I've briefly tried the GK SS and never again. Horrible front-end handling and I'm not the only one saying that. YMMV depending on your bike and how sensitive you are for these kinds of things. Buyer beware.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

andy4g63 wrote:

1) I wouldn't worry about hookless rims here. None of these tires have super thing sidewalls.
2) THe Zipp G40 tires are relabeled Hutchenson Toureg (Mavic/Pirelli) FYI, they probably roll like a https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... i-gravel-h
3) If you look at most tests, you'll see the Conti Terra Speed would be the way to go if you're on a deformable dry surface and they also have a good sidewall. The Panaracer GKs and SS are also good. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-reviews The Pathfinders are good if you need some sharp rock protection (shale).
These two are only going to be 4w faster per pair. Unless you go Strada Bianca Pro or Rene Herse Extralight something or Schwable Pro One 34c (new), you probably won't be any faster. If you're off road, even perfect hard dirt trail, tire width makes a huge speed difference. The aero cost of the knobs is about 1.5w per size incriment from 25c (28, 32, 35, 38/40, etc) and the mini-knobs coase about 1w at 30kph - so there's not much of a cost for the knobs, but the size costs about 6w (3kph ish) . When you get into the bigger knobs, the rubber needs to be harder to support the knob, so the tire is slower.

FWIW, I've run Schwalbe/Conti/Maxxis hookless in this space without issue. From what I've seen the issue is pretty limited to narrow rim lip (aero) road tires with super thin sidewalls. The smaller tire puts a lot of pressure on a specific spot if hit a bump while cornering. This all happened becuase Evne was playing it fast and loose with their testing. They probably just tested all the tires with a tube in them for speed. Also, the Zipp's use a 2mm rim edge (23mm int/27mm external)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Thanks to all.

BTW anyone had any experience with Specialized sawtooth 2bliss?

They look promising, they come in 38 and the gripton compound rolls really well.