Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

spookyload wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 am
Correct me if I am wrong here
In my experience, attempts on getting traction in typical loose-over-hard conditions through tire tread are futile. You need width and low pressure, and some riding skills. Tread helps in mud.

Also, I don't see how low rolling resistance somehow becomes irrelevant once you're on gravel.

Marin

by Marin

Data point: I got a set of WTB Byways (45mm on my rims) and in my indoor low-speed rolldown test, they were about as slow as 48mm Gravelking SKs and *far* behind a 42mm Pari-Moto - a bit of a disappointment for an effectively slick tire with cosmetic side blocks. I'm selling the WTBs on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

Marin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 am
spookyload wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:14 am
Correct me if I am wrong here
In my experience, attempts on getting traction in typical loose-over-hard conditions through tire tread are futile. You need width and low pressure, and some riding skills. Tread helps in mud.

Also, I don't see how low rolling resistance somehow becomes irrelevant once you're on gravel.
When it comes to gravel tires, I agree. They just aren't treaded enough to make a real difference. Puncture resistence should be a major factor, if not the deciding factor between tires with half way close rolling resistence values.

coconutbuddha

by coconutbuddha

...and compound. In my opinion the compound decides about the grip. Recognized that with my Continental Speed King on my "just for fun" Hardtail. Unreal grip on really steep climbs (20%) due to the combination of the tread and the compound.

Seperately, all those tire rolling resistance test seem to be widely inconsistent. For example, the German print magazine Tour tested the Compass Jon Bon Pass Standard as one of the 5 fastestest tires in the world, really close to the Continental GP 4000 (you can find the excerpt of this test on Jan Heine´s blog). However, according to one picture of the Gran Fondo tire test the Compass Bon Jon Pass Extralight has a rolling resistance of 17.7 Watts. With that rolling resistance it´s nowhere near the 5 fastest tires. And for example, in the same test, the Panaracer Gravel King SK tested only 19.5 Watts. Which essentially means two things, the Compass Bon Jon Pass Standard would be according to that test setup like 18.7ish Watt and probably as fast as a Gravel King slick, what I doubt because the Gravel King Slick has puncture protection layers and the same compound.

Basically for me it´s currently in @tanhalt we trust.

Unfortunately, on the pictures the wattage numbers for the WTB tires are not included. That´s too bad since I would interested how WTB´s compare to Compass/Rene Herse and Gravelkings. Especially it would be interesting to see if the Byway or some other WTB gravel slick is as fast.
Just looking for the fastest gravel tires, man!

Marin

by Marin

coconutbuddha wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:10 am
That´s too bad since I would interested how WTB´s compare to Compass/Rene Herse and Gravelkings. Especially it would be interesting to see if the Byway or some other WTB gravel slick is as fast.
I do indoor rolldown tests, and WTB Byway 650b tubeless were quite slow (sold them on immediately), about on par with Gravelking 650b slicks.

My Bon Jon Pass and Pari-Motos roll *much* longer.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Does anyone know the rolling resistance (watts) difference between a gravel tires and high performance road tire? I ride Panaracer GK SK43mm on my gravel bike and 25mm Conti 5000 TL on my road bikes.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:28 pm
Does anyone know the rolling resistance (watts) difference between a gravel tires and high performance road tire? I ride Panaracer GK SK43mm on my gravel bike and 25mm Conti 5000 TL on my road bikes.
Yes, I've roller tested both. On hard surfaces, a "gravel tire" will roll from 4-14W per pair slower than a GP5K @ 20 kph, and from 5-20W per pair slower @ 30kph.

On the low end of power difference are relatively smooth tires, such as the Panaracer Pari-Moto, or the Rene Herse (Compass) Snoqualmie Pass, while the upper end of the difference are for tires with significant tread and/or excess "armoring". Gravel Kings are about "mid-pack"

In my testing, a tire like Challenge Strada Bianca Pro 30C or a Snoqualmie Pass 44C both roll about the same as a Continental GP4000S 23C.

Now then...on softer surfaces (dirt), those differences tend to narrow...and mountain bikers have long known that tire "speed" off road is more about how low of pressure you can run (i.e. how wide are the tires) and what grip you have than it is about most other properties.

thumper88

by thumper88

Tom,
are you likely to post any of this anywhere?

tanhalt wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:49 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Yes, I've roller tested both. On hard surfaces, a "gravel tire" will roll from 4-14W per pair slower than a GP5K @ 20 kph, and from 5-20W per pair slower @ 30kph.

On the low end of power difference are relatively smooth tires, such as the Panaracer Pari-Moto, or the Rene Herse (Compass) Snoqualmie Pass, while the upper end of the difference are for tires with significant tread and/or excess "armoring". Gravel Kings are about "mid-pack"

In my testing, a tire like Challenge Strada Bianca Pro 30C or a Snoqualmie Pass 44C both roll about the same as a Continental GP4000S 23C.

Now then...on softer surfaces (dirt), those differences tend to narrow...and mountain bikers have long known that tire "speed" off road is more about how low of pressure you can run (i.e. how wide are the tires) and what grip you have than it is about most other properties.

thumper88

by thumper88

thumper88 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm
Tom,

tanhalt wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:

tanhalt

by tanhalt

I hope to soon...I had an issue recently with a bad freehub bearing on my 650B wheel, which affected the results for the only two 650B tires I've tested so far. I want to re-run those tires before finally publishing the link to the list on my blog.
thumper88 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm
Tom,

tanhalt wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:

Marin

by Marin

@tanhalt any news? We need the data :D

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Noctiluxx wrote:
https://www.roadbike.de/rennrad-parts/1 ... n-im-test/
(on Schwalbe's roller - same size as BRR's, but they use more load) - note 40c G-One Speed uses the 100kg load build, the 30c using the 75kg build

For 40c gravel TL @ 50psi / 3.5 bar (avg two tests - Schwalbe and Conti drum tests)
Challenge Gravel Grinder TLR - 25.9w
Continental Terra Speed ​​TR - 22.1w
Goodyear Connector Ultimate - 27.2w
Mavic Yksion Allroad XL - 33.6w
Maxxis Rambler Exo TR - 26.5w
Michelin Power Gravel - 26.3w
Panaracer Gravelking SK TLC - 26.9w
Schwalbe G-One Bite TLE - 28.2w
Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss ready 25.2
Teravail Cannonball 25.7
WTB Riddler 28.7w

Just the Schwalbe roller:
25c One TL 25c @ 7bar - 14.5w with tube at 8bar - 17.1w
G-One Speed 40c (100kg load casing) - 22.2
G-One Allaround 40c (70kg load casing) - 21.3
G-One Bite 40c (100kg load casing) - 24.6
G-One TerraBite 40c (100kg load casing) - 23.8

From this and using BRR's test (giving us the deltas) to fill in the holes as they are nearly the same test on the same equipment.
TT tire @ 100psi - ~10.5w
Top End Road (Pro One TLE) @ 100psi - ~13.5w
High End Road (One TL V-guard) @ 100psi - 14.5w
High End Road (One TL V-guard) @ 60psi - 17W
Fat road / Skinny gravel (G-one Speed 30-35c w/ road casing) @ 60psi ~ 19W
40C Highend Tire (G-One AllA) @ 50psi - 21.3w

In general:
Gravel knobs only add 1-2w
Heartier sidewalls add 2-3w
Lower pressures cost 3-4w
Thicker primary rubber costs 3w (TT -> everyday use)
A tube costs 1w (race latex) - 3w (std); TL goo costs ~2.5w

Marin

by Marin

Ah cool thanks, didn't know they had the article online! 👍

Excellent analysis too :beerchug:

Marin

by Marin

BTW, my own rolldown test shows my 50mm G-One Speed Evos to be *significantly* faster than my 60mm G-One Allround Evos. Both tubeless. The Allrounds feel *much* more robust though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

The Conti Terra Speeds are def fast, I'm using the 40mm and have ridden them on several A+ group rides. They def take some extra work to hold 20+mph, but they're happy to do it. Also fantastic on the gravel of course. Will prob be my goto tire for the gravel racing around here. Not sure if I'll run them for DK200 yet tho, but I haven't had any durability/puncture issues so far.