Touring with a converted tri-bike?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wlbm

by wlbm

Hello,

I recently picked up a 2000 Cervelo P3 for a song and threw a set of drops with Sora brifters on it to replace the bullhorns.
I was thinking about taking it to Japan with me this summer and doing some touring. The idea being that it was relatively light and aero, which would make touring around that windy, mountainous country enjoyable.
I'm not thinking of carrying anything but emergency repair gear, and using convenience stores, cafes and small inns for refueling and accommodations
Any thoughts on how much of a world of pain I'm going to be in if I actually try this? Any advice?

As a bonus, due to the rear aero faring it only takes 650x23c wheels and tires. I have the Rolf Vector wheels that came with it, and a friend gave me his old triathalon Spinergy wheels as well, but finding spares on the road might be a challenge

Marin

by Marin

Do you have a road bike? Can you replicate your position on the P3? If yes and you can live with the resulting looks, why not.

23s are marginal for touring though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Etienne

by Etienne

The problem with these tri-specific frames is the combination of a steep seat tube (up to 78-80°), a long top tube and a short headtube ... so you will end up with a low stack / long reach frame, the complete opposite of a touring frame in my opinion.

Even with the seatpost head locked in rearward position (on the photo, it's in forward position), the seat tube angle will still be around 75-76°.

The result would be too much weight on the handlebar and a too stretched position ... bad combination.

RussellS

by RussellS

I guess any bike can work for bicyckle touring. Specifically talking about ultra light touring. Look up bags by Apidura, Ortleib, and Revelate Designs. Look for "bikepacking". With those bags you can carry as much gear as you need for light touring in motels and eating at restaurants. But maybe you do not know that Japan is an extremely mountainous country. Lots of steep hills and mountains everywhere. Riding a bike in Japan requires Low gears. Low, low, low gears. I'd suggest you do the ultra light touring with the bags I mentioned before. Use your regular road bike. And make sure it has a triple crankset or at the very least a 1x1 low gear. 34x34 or at worst 34x32 low gear. And just use 700C wheels. You may need to buy spare tubes someplace. Easier to find 700C. And with your own road bike, you will know it fits you. Why do a tour on a bike that is a questionable fit? I'm guessing this tour will require some effort and money on your part. Why not try to insure it is as successful and pleasant as possible? Take your best bike. The one you know fits you and has the right gearing and is best for this endeavor.