Cannondale synapse disc- how off road?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aidenb

by Aidenb

Hello all. I want a one bike does all type bike, my family is expanding, space is decreasing, time to ride is shortening and I'm aware that my current fleet of bikes is actually owning me instead. I still want to race crits to mid pack 4th cat level, I still want to ride ropey roads and the occasional forest trail, I still want to go off to the hills whenever time allows. Been looking at the synapse, really, honestly now, how wide can you go with tyres? I'm pretty sure that with a long downy pointy stem I can still crit it without shaming myself more than I currently do. I'd go for the ultegra version because I'm an ultegra kind of guy. Does anybody have a 58cm one and could they tell me the weight please? I will be most grateful for any wisdom shared.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

No first hand experience with the Synapse but Cannondale says 32mm and while of course you could ride a smooth gravel road with that, I wouldn't except that limitation. The fun off road doesn't really start until you hit about 35mm as far as tires are concerned. The size isn't the whole issue, IMO it's more about the ability to run low pressures.

As far as endurance bikes go, the Focus Paralane will handle 36mm tires. I bought one for my wife and it has been a decent off-roader that can still hustle on tarmac. Frame weight is very good for this category of bike. Cable routing is not the best.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Canyon Endurace fits 35's and the SLX frame is 820g frame and 325g fork. The Geometry is Identical to the Ultimate but a 1cm taller headtube changes the reach/stack numbers slightly.
https://forums.mtbr.com/gravel-bikes/fy ... 85172.html

StephanP

by StephanP

I have a Cannondale Synapse disc. It's a 2018 version (1st year with new frame design) and Ultegra Di2. Its a 58cm and weighs 9.8kg (21.6lbs) on my bathroom scale. Comparing to my 2013/14 Trek Domane with Ultegra Di2 which is a 58cm and weighs 8.2kg (18lbs) on the same scale. The Domane has rim brakes with a powertap hub and RXL wheels. The Synapse has a Quarq power meter with the stock wheels. Both bikes have pedals, 1 bottle cage and the same Garmin mount included in the weights.

I really think the Synapse is a pig in weight and I can really notice the difference on the road. I am about 2km/hr slower on it then my other bike. I really don't like the disc brakes, not to get into a debate about that, but as I only have one fully functioning hand, rim brakes are easier for me to set up. Just took my Cannondale off the trainer and installed the rear wheel and I get the annoying tick of the disc rubbing against the pads.

I have 32mm tires on the Synapse and there isn't much room between the tire and the front derailleur. There is 9mm of space between them.

Hope this helps.
Stephan

grover

by grover

Max 32mm. Needs to be a slick. If you have any knobs and you hit any moist off road you'll be rubbing your paint.

The new age of cross/gravel bikes have low bottom brackets. Probably racier geo than the synapse for crits. No heavier and more tyre clearance.

llmonty

by llmonty

Agree on what others said about Synapse. I don't have one but seriously looked at it. And yes, 32 tire max and heavy.

I am in the same boat as you as I looked to upgrade my older model Specialized Diverge. I just had a Canyon Endurace delivered. It can fit up to a 35-37 measured tire. I use the panaracer gravelking SK 35s, which measure 36-37 and the Canyon can clear it with about 4mm of space around. I haven't taken it out yet with them on it on gravel (thanks to rain and a cold), but they fit. The geometry is much racier than synapse/domane/roubaix - especially in the wheelbase (a short 990) and head tube angle (quick steering). On the road it feels very different than my Diverge which is +3 lbs heavier, 1 degree more slack head tube, 21mm longer wheelbase, slightly lower bb. The specs are actually closer to a Tarmac - with shorter reach and somewhat taller head tube. On gravel I wonder if the Endurace will be way less stable, but will see.

Others I looked at - Domane (1-2mm more clearance, way heavier, more expensive), Allied all road (high BB, very expensive), Stigmata/Chebacco/Search XR/hakka (less road oriented, longer wheelbase, expensive). Crux and Diverge specs look pretty good with certain trade-offs. Crux is more racy and has r11 carbon on all frames. The $2800 one is specced nice. I wouldn't race crits on a diverge (heavy, future shock).

For what you are looking at the Endurace may be your best bet! Like a tarmac with more clearance.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

I'm building up a Focus Paralane. Fits up to 35mm and has eyelets for mudguards. It's Focus' endurance level bike.

Aidenb

by Aidenb

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really like the look of the canyon, I'm very close to pulling the trigger ...
Very grateful for the responses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jasonh

by jasonh

I had to change bikes because I have a minimum of 5 miles of gravel, that the county maintains quarterly. After about 3-4 weeks, the road actually smooths out, but anything less than a 32 with tread is not suitable until then
Unfortunately a 30-35c gravel tire is portly and slow compared to any nice 25 to 28c road tire. Especially going uphill.
If I raced, I’d probably invest I an Allied bc of the taller bb, for snappier acceleration and climbing, with a spare set of either robust gravel wheels, or race day specific wheels.
To me, a fast all purpose bike works in most scenarios, including fast road group rides. But for me, not Crits. I wouldn’t want to destroy a high end CF bike in a crit. .
I’d build up an alloy 105 Caad 12 to race.