Cannondale Topstone 105 (23lbs?!) vs Canyon Grail AL7 vs

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Evening Guys,

Torn between the two above, i'm after a gravel bike with wide tyre clearance, bolt thru axles, Shimano 105 for good gear range in the peaks, and modern offroad geometry.

I'd like the above whilst keeping it as light as possible and around £1500 budget! :shock: :D

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/grail ... l-7-0.html

https://www.cannondale.com/Internationa ... 51f893d6c1

The Topstone wins out on shorter TT, lower standover, longer more stable wheelbase, slacker head angle, so should be a more comfortable, better offroad ride.

But from what i've read the Topstone 105 is coming in at 23lbs in large, not using the same refined aluminium as the older caadx

The Grail AL 7 20.7lbs in medium (not been able to find a large weight)

I'm overlooking the better geo of the Topstone and thinking the grail would be a better choice as lighter, the Topstone sounds awfully heavy at 23lbs, when my full sus Scott Spark 700 is around 26lbs.

Any thoughts, other bikes to look at around this budget, will a 23lbs topstone go like a whippet uphill anyway thanks to its 700cc skinny wheels/tyres, is 23lbs bloaty for a gravelbike? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

You'd be better of comparing the medium grail to the large topstone.
Chasse patate

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Morning Silvalis,

I'm 6'2" so medium grail would be too small

renoracing

by renoracing

So wait, You like the Topstone because it fits smaller than the size Large Canyon, but you think that sizing down to the Medium Canyon(which measures almost the same as the Topstone Large) is too small? I think you might just be hung up on the common idea that at over 6 feet tall a "medium" is too small. I think you might need to take Silvalis' advice and compare the numbers of the Medium Grail and you might not have to pick fit versus weight....

frogtape777

by frogtape777

I'm just going off the manufacturers reccomended size for height which was L to XL on Grail, never considered a M Grail would be a goer as im' XL in Santa Cruz and Scott.

Something to look at thanks :)

renoracing

by renoracing

Manufacturer's height charts tend to be pretty antiquated and are very subjective... Like the old bike shop trick where they have you stand over the bike and lift the handlebars up. If the front wheel gets 1" off the ground before the toptube hits your crotch, the bike "fits"!
If you know what certain numbers feel like on a bike(as far as stack, reach, etc), which it sounds like you do, then just ignore the height chart, and compare the numbers. There are also several sites where you can visualize two bike's geometry overlayed to see where the contact points differ or overlap. With all that said, Canyons tend to run long and large for their size, and most seem to downsize one size from other brands from what I've seen.

renoracing

by renoracing

Manufacturer's height charts tend to be pretty antiquated and are very subjective... Like the old bike shop trick where they have you stand over the bike and lift the handlebars up. If the front wheel gets 1" off the ground before the toptube hits your crotch, the bike "fits"!
If you know what certain numbers feel like on a bike(as far as stack, reach, etc), which it sounds like you do, then just ignore the height chart, and compare the numbers. There are also several sites where you can visualize two bike's geometry overlayed to see where the contact points differ or overlap. With all that said, Canyons tend to run long and large for their size, and most seem to downsize one size from other brands from what I've seen.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 pm
I'm just going off the manufacturers reccomended size for height which was L to XL on Grail, never considered a M Grail would be a goer as im' XL in Santa Cruz and Scott.

Something to look at thanks :)
Yeah, I agree with Reno as to going by the geo numbers and ignoring the stated "size" and height chart figures. Body proportions (leg/torso ratio, arm length, etc...) can make a huge difference in terms of what is an appropriate fit, even for two people of identical height. Also, personal preference and flexibility are a big factor.

That said, you will want to make sure you can still easily hit your desired handlebar height if you are sizing down. Some brands reduce the Stack more than the Reach as the sizes go down, so you might find that the bar height is getting lower than you want, even if the reach is still adequatly long.

Seth

by Seth

renoracing wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:13 am
There are also several sites where you can visualize two bike's geometry overlayed to see where the contact points differ or overlap.
Can you point me to some of the sites you refer to above?

renoracing

by renoracing

https://99spokes.com
https://geometrygeeks.bike

Double check the numbers associated with them, as there are sometimes errors, but a good starting point none the less.

ChrisRides

by ChrisRides

Which bike did you end up getting? Im tossing up between the cannondale topstone 105, canyon grail 7.0, and the trek crockett 5.

Any preferences??

frogtape777

by frogtape777

ChrisRides wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:44 pm
Which bike did you end up getting? Im tossing up between the cannondale topstone 105, canyon grail 7.0, and the trek crockett 5.

Any preferences??

Topstone and absolutely adore it, amazes me every ride :beerchug: :beerchug:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154830

Roel W

by Roel W

What bike did you choose?

Topstone has threaded BB, lots of bosses, nice welds, hydoformed tubes, heavy wheels,...
Canyon might be lighter but has ugly welds, straight extrusion tubes, single through-drilled rackbosses with welded shut insides (a measured drill from both sides looks way neater and is stronger), steeper gearing,...

mr2scott

by mr2scott

Changed a few more parts. 8.77 KG for 105 topstone, with bottle cages, and 43c tires.

Bontrager XXX bar/stem combo was like 230g 90mm/40cm
Fizik full carbon tundra saddle I found lying around was lighter than the fabric carbon I had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Fixed.

Neff...
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum