Challenge Strada Bianca TLR Reviews

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hargin

by hargin

TashkentTerror wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:54 pm

The TLR Race version is only for hooked rims.
Do you have any reliable source of this information?

I'm after another training session (100 km) and the tires are behaving correctly. Air loss as on hooked rims.

riuuu

by riuuu

Very interesting to read this bit of information as I just got my Zipp 303s and was fancying a Challenge tyre. Can you share any more of your experiences about the Strada Bianca 27mm TLR on your 303s? I'm generally a little bit annoyed that it's so hard to find official statements from many wheel manufacturers about min/max tyre width that are supported by one of their wheels. DT Swiss for example have it printed onto the rim very clearly stating which tyre and air-pressure they approve (i.e. on their ERC 1400).
Currently I'm running the Schwalbe Pro One TLE 28mm and they are extremely nice but still I'm interested in experimenting a bit and trying out new tyres. With all the research I did it seems to be safe to run min. tyre width of 25mm on the 303s so I'd love to hear how the 27mm Strada Bainca are suiting you so far and if any problems arose. I am aware that Challenge states on their website that they don't approve hookless yet for their tubeless ready tires but I'm tempted to try them because on other wheels I found their tyres excellent.

Thanks for sharing :D

Cheers,
Riu

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I'm interested in trying out the Challenge Strada Bianca TLR in 30mm version but can't work out whether they're lovely and fast or dog-slow tractor tyres. £100 the pair is a lot of money to spend on a whim.

Anyone got any views on this, in comparison to Schwalbe Pro One TLR for example, which is also available in 30mm?

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

FEEDINtheGO4T wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:39 pm
Does anyone know if these tires are compatible with hookless rims?
i emailed them recently with regards to ENVE and ZIPP hookless rims and got this reply:

Dear xxxxx,

tires are still under testing with the two wheels company.

As soon we will have response we will announce compatibility through our website. For the moment, we suggest to use our tires only on hooked type rim.

Kind regards

Customer service
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Marin

by Marin

Miller wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 pm
I'm interested in trying out the Challenge Strada Bianca TLR in 30mm version but can't work out whether they're lovely and fast or dog-slow tractor tyres. £100 the pair is a lot of money to spend on a whim.

Anyone got any views on this, in comparison to Schwalbe Pro One TLR for example, which is also available in 30mm?
The HTLR are very fast, not sure about the regular TLR.

The non-TLR 36mm one I had were lovely.

Tom Anhalt did a test:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1991044987

Miller

by Miller

Thanks, interesting.

challenge
in the industry

by challenge

hargin wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 pm
I'm currently testing the Challenge Strada Bianca TLR and Zipp 303s. After a short 40 km route, everything is fine.
Hi, I am curious, how did your test go?

Marin

by Marin

Strada Biance Pro is fastest tested gravel tire on BRR: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... el-reviews

riuuu

by riuuu

challenge wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:56 am
hargin wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:41 pm
I'm currently testing the Challenge Strada Bianca TLR and Zipp 303s. After a short 40 km route, everything is fine.
Hi, I am curious, how did your test go?
I'm seconding that question :) @hargin would it be possible to share your experience with this tyre/wheel combo? Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Riuuu

TashkentTerror

by TashkentTerror

hargin wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:10 pm
TashkentTerror wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:54 pm

The TLR Race version is only for hooked rims.
Do you have any reliable source of this information?

I'm after another training session (100 km) and the tires are behaving correctly. Air loss as on hooked rims.
It is written on the tire.

macwatt

by macwatt

I fitted Schwalbe Pro One 25mm TLE tyres to my wife's bike with Zipp 303s wheelset. The tyres measure just under 28mm and are super comfortable to ride so much so unless the roads you ride on are extremely poor I see no benefit of running 28mm tyres. I would like to see a comparison of Zipp 303s running 25mm tyres compared to Zipp 303 FS running 28mm as weight would be very similar but Zipp 303s should have a slight aero advantage due to the narrower tyres.

emotive

by emotive

macwatt wrote:I fitted Schwalbe Pro One 25mm TLE tyres to my wife's bike with Zipp 303s wheelset. The tyres measure just under 28mm and are super comfortable to ride so much so unless the roads you ride on are extremely poor I see no benefit of running 28mm tyres. I would like to see a comparison of Zipp 303s running 25mm tyres compared to Zipp 303 FS running 28mm as weight would be very similar but Zipp 303s should have a slight aero advantage due to the narrower tyres.
DT Swiss did a test very similar to that on the DT Swiss ERC1100 27mm wide wheel https://www.roadrevolution18.dtswiss.com/endurance/
The aero advantage of a narrower tyre increases with speed. A DT Swiss ERC1100 front wheel has between 2W and 4W more drag with a 28MM GP4000 II vs a 25mm GP4000 II, depending on the yaw angle.

If you can average over 35km/h then the 25mm will be faster. Below 35km/h the 28mm tyre was faster.

macwatt

by macwatt

Thanks for the reply very interesting data 👍

macwatt

by macwatt

emotive wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:27 am
macwatt wrote:I fitted Schwalbe Pro One 25mm TLE tyres to my wife's bike with Zipp 303s wheelset. The tyres measure just under 28mm and are super comfortable to ride so much so unless the roads you ride on are extremely poor I see no benefit of running 28mm tyres. I would like to see a comparison of Zipp 303s running 25mm tyres compared to Zipp 303 FS running 28mm as weight would be very similar but Zipp 303s should have a slight aero advantage due to the narrower tyres.
DT Swiss did a test very similar to that on the DT Swiss

ERC1100 27mm wide wheel https://www.roadrevolution18.dtswiss.com/endurance/
The aero advantage of a narrower tyre increases with speed. A DT Swiss ERC1100 front wheel has between 2W and 4W more drag with a 28MM GP4000 II vs a 25mm GP4000 II, depending on the yaw angle.

If you can average over 35km/h then the 25mm will be faster. Below 35km/h the 28mm tyre was faster.

Today I received my order of Pirelli P Zero Race TLR 28mm tyres @ 65 psi they measure exactly the same as the Schwalbe Pro One TLE 25mm 🤔

emotive

by emotive

The size printed on the current generation of tyres is adjusted for the wider wheels that are fitted to new bikes. The GP5000 was sized on a 19mm ID wheel as that was the common size when it was released in 2018. The GP4000 II was sized on a 15mm ID rim that was the common size in 2008 when it was released.

Many buyers were surprised when they swapped from their 25mm GP4000 II to the GP5000 on the same wheelset to find they measure up smaller. But this is to be expected.

Challenge advise that the Strada Bianca HTLR was sized on 22mm wheels, so factor that in when choosing your size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com