Challenge Strada Bianca TLR Reviews

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

Are these more durable than a gp5000tr? What about a gravelking slick? Where can you buy the pros in the us?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartacus wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:11 am
Are these more durable than a gp5000tr? What about a gravelking slick? Where can you buy the pros in the us?

At least as durable as a GP5K S TR. Less grip. Absorbs more sealant over time. Better than the GK Slick in almost every metric except price and ease of installation.

You can order it in the US from any Trek dealer, most other LBS, BikeTiresDirect, etc. Not a hard tire to get a hold of. Buying a bunch from Bike24 or some other EU shop is cheaper though.

Volsung

by Volsung

Has anyone mounted 33s to i25s and taken a measurement?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

BRR's test shows the rubber is more durable against sharp objects, but the tire itself is less durable

spartacus

by spartacus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:51 am
spartacus wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:11 am

At least as durable as a GP5K S TR. Less grip. Absorbs more sealant over time. Better than the GK Slick in almost every metric except price and ease of installation.

You can order it in the US from any Trek dealer, most other LBS, BikeTiresDirect, etc. Not a hard tire to get a hold of. Buying a bunch from Bike24 or some other EU shop is cheaper though.
Thanks for the insight.

Miller

by Miller

Have just discovered that they go really well on rollers. Hoping that translates into good road speed.

emotive

by emotive

Volsung wrote:Has anyone mounted 33s to i25s and taken a measurement?
Based on them measuring a true 33mm on i22 rims, they should measure 34.2mm on i25 rims.

Miller

by Miller

Miller wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:17 pm
Have just discovered that they go really well on rollers. Hoping that translates into good road speed.
Update on this: even though the Strada Biancas go really well on rollers, they're not suitable. They left a black rubbery deposit on the actual rollers. I think the rubber compound is too soft for this use.

On the other hand, absolutely loving them out on the road, so fast and comfortable. Maybe they won't last that long but it'll be fun while they do.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

FYI- I just got some Strada's mounted. These are made in Thialand. I didn't see that detail anywhere. That means they're probably made by Vittoria (or just using their old factory setup/employees/process). Looking at BRR's measurements, they're basically the same as Corsas.

Edit: nevermind, just looked at the factory pics and they are different factories - https://www.challengetires.com/production https://cyclingtips.com/2019/04/inside- ... acilities/

ms6073

by ms6073

Not exactly apples-to-apples, but I could no longer discern the heringbone pattern on the center of the rear tire when I was running Strada Pro HTLR in 700 x 30 (61/64 psi) on 21mm internal tubeless carbon wheels in under 1200 miles of use on mostly good road surfaces. I oberved similar wear patterns 3+ years back before I went tubeless and was riding on Vittoria's Corsa 320 TPI clinchers 700x25/28 with Challenge latex tubes, albeit at higher pressures.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

What wear are people getting on these? Between these and the Rene Herse but don't want to be shelling out £120 on a set of tyres that only lasts 2-3000km

jfl

by jfl

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I've just received a pair in 36mm. They both weigh exactly 377g on my kitchen scale, which is surprising in itself. Also surprising, they measure c.102mm bead to bead, compared to a brand new regular 40mm Gravelking measuring c.98mm. Not mounted yet.

Scarpa

by Scarpa

For the TLR Version which tubless milk do you prefere? I use the original challenge but the air is not holding up more than 1 day.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Scarpa wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:35 pm
For the TLR Version which tubless milk do you prefere? I use the original challenge but the air is not holding up more than 1 day.

You're best off with Orange Seal, but they will still lose more air overnight than vulcanized tires and the sealant will still evaporate quickly. Sealant lasts for ~3-4 months typically in the autumn here, but my Challenge tires were dry in 5 weeks. Still, a lovely tire if you don't mind the frequent top ups. I pump all my tubeless tires prior to riding anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Scarpa wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:35 pm
I'm using Hutchinson Protect'air which seems very similar to Stan's. I've logged 1300km on my Strada Biancas now and have had two rear wheel punctures, both of which sealed quickly. To be fair, one of those was the other day on proper unsurfaced off-road, a gravelly farm track. Other than that, the tyres hold air quite well.