Challenge Strada Bianca TLR Reviews

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Scarpa

by Scarpa

Thanks for your problem, my problem is that the tubless Milk is leaking to the sidewall

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:35 pm
You're best off with Orange Seal, but they will still lose more air overnight than vulcanized tires and the sealant will still evaporate quickly. Sealant lasts for ~3-4 months typically in the autumn here, but my Challenge tires were dry in 5 weeks.
I see similar results wiht Orange Seal Endurance here in south central Texa. In the cooler fall and winter months, we get 6-8 weeks between topups but when tempertures start to edge over 80°F (26° C) like they are lately and the humidity stays abive 85%, longevity is reduced to as little as 3-weeks between top offs.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Miller

by Miller

Miller wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:55 pm
I'm using Hutchinson Protect'air which seems very similar to Stan's. I've logged 1300km on my Strada Biancas now and have had two rear wheel punctures, both of which sealed quickly. To be fair, one of those was the other day on proper unsurfaced off-road, a gravelly farm track. Other than that, the tyres hold air quite well.
Slight update for interest: I had occasion to change tyres around the other day and took the Challenge tyres off the wheel that they were on. I can confirm that the tyre bead is much easier to deal with after 1000 miles, it has slackened off. Also, to my surprise, both tyres had grown a substantial sealant monster...

kroem

by kroem

Anyone else have problems with like glue(?) leaking from these? It doesn't feel like sealent, it's like ... glue?

Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Currently running the Challenge Getaway, but with the construction being very similar, the same should apply.
I am currently running the tires with Silca ultimate sealant (used Stan's before) and for the first time got side wall leakage. On the front tire the sealant bubbles out the tire where the rubber meets the rubber:

Has any one of you experienced this with a challenge tire? Is this problematic?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Happens a lot of corespun / cotton casings. Nothing to worry about and will seal fully in time.

Panaracer sealant did it a lot more than Orange seal.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you ride in the rain a lot, you’ll notice bubbles foaming out on the casing of Challenge tires. It’s not a huge deal, but it does help explain why they lose like 10% pressure each day. And yeah, it happens less with Orange Seal than with, say Bontrager TLR sealant.

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:06 pm
If you ride in the rain a lot, you’ll notice bubbles foaming out on the casing of Challenge tires.
Thanks for that. We got caught in a brief rain shower a few weeks back and I was confused when the tires started looking like liquid soap was oozing out from where the tread meets the side wall.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:19 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:06 pm
If you ride in the rain a lot, you’ll notice bubbles foaming out on the casing of Challenge tires.
Thanks for that. We got caught in a brief rain shower a few weeks back and I was confused when the tires started looking like liquid soap was oozing out from where the tread meets the side wall.

I even had it in the middle of the sidewall also, but yeah it was more prevalent at the edge of the tread and at small cuts/knicks in the tread since any air permeating the casing underneath needs a path to escape.

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

I'm considering these on my commuter wheelset. Currently I'm running gravelking ss + in 35 but they measure out to 38 on id 24 rims leaving little to no room for fenders. The bike can handle true 700x35 with fenders according to the manufacturer. Would you guys recommend 30 or 33? It is mostly used on rough pavement - I have a 650b wheelset for gravel and single track.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

BobbyAamand wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 12:40 pm
I'm considering these on my commuter wheelset. Currently I'm running gravelking ss + in 35 but they measure out to 38 on id 24 rims leaving little to no room for fenders. The bike can handle true 700x35 with fenders according to the manufacturer. Would you guys recommend 30 or 33? It is mostly used on rough pavement - I have a 650b wheelset for gravel and single track.
Honestly for a commuter there are tires better suited for less cost.

Something from maxxis, schwalbe, panaracer, teravail, maybe even American Classic will cost 1/2, cost you maybe 10-20w of total resistance at the lower speeds, and will have more puncture protection.

The Challenge tires are high performance, low weight, low rolling resistance, high cost and only moderately puncture and slash protected.

emotive

by emotive

BobbyAamand wrote:I'm considering these on my commuter wheelset. Currently I'm running gravelking ss + in 35 but they measure out to 38 on id 24 rims leaving little to no room for fenders. The bike can handle true 700x35 with fenders according to the manufacturer. Would you guys recommend 30 or 33? It is mostly used on rough pavement - I have a 650b wheelset for gravel and single track.
33. Strada Bianca HTLR tyres measure true to size on 22id wheels, so on your 24id wheels they will measure 0.6mm to 0.8mm larger, ie 30.8mm and 33.8mm.

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

:thumbup:
emotive wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:43 pm
BobbyAamand wrote:I'm considering these on my commuter wheelset. Currently I'm running gravelking ss + in 35 but they measure out to 38 on id 24 rims leaving little to no room for fenders. The bike can handle true 700x35 with fenders according to the manufacturer. Would you guys recommend 30 or 33? It is mostly used on rough pavement - I have a 650b wheelset for gravel and single track.
33. Strada Bianca HTLR tyres measure true to size on 22id wheels, so on your 24id wheels they will measure 0.6mm to 0.8mm larger, ie 30.8mm and 33.8mm.
Thanks man :-)

BRyder

by BRyder

I've just taken 2hrs to Mount strada Biancha 36mm htlr (setup tubeless). I will only get a chance to ride 100km before my next major event.

Will the casing loosen up by then? I'm fearful of a flat tire and having to get a tube in if plugs fail!

Regards
BR

boyracer

by boyracer

Dig.
SB TLR in 30mm fitted to Cannondale super six evo Hi Mod with standard Knot/hollowgram 45mm carbon TLR rims (21mm internal). Very fast tyre. ~60 psi was sweet spot. Rode well but rear is gone @ 1600 kms(1k miles) of gravelly goodness. Lots of nicks and cuts in tread and definite flattening across middle. Had one or two 'punctures' that sealed with Orange seal. Last one was almost terminal (glass) and required a bacon strip. Seem to be more puncture resistant than Gravel kings though...my bike was always coated in latex with those! Replaced with Vittoria corsa 32mm TLR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com