Lightweight Alloy frameset (edit for race-like maneuverability)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hex

by Hex

I currently run a x1 road rim brake bike (Xeon RS alloy)

I love it, but in a recent bikepacking trip with the modern seatpack and handlebar pack taught me some lessons on why my current set up isn't ideal for bikepacking.

With that in mind, I've been eyeing some gravel/cross/disc framesets.

I will be passing most of my components to the new frameset to make it as budget friendly as possible. I may, or may not, keep my current frame and wheels after the build. It depends on what sort of bike I end up getting.

So, I need some help from the WWCW (weight weenie community wisdom)

I've been looking at, exclusively, alloy disc framesets. I like alloy because on the road my bike took a few unwanted hits and I feel I may be too mindful and precious with a carbon frameset. Alloy is also cheaper than Ti, so there's that as well.

So far, best thing I found is the Merlin ROC disc. Looks like it has a similar style but more relaxed geo to my Rose Xeon. Pricing for frameset is nice (~380eur). No specs on weight, though. For what its worth, the price is what's most attractive to me on that frameset because it allows me to have another ~400-500eur left for wheels.

My dream would be to have my current bike with disc brakes and tire clearance of 32mm and lightweight alloy.

Could not find something atractive at Planet-X.
Merlin Malt -G has external routing which I am not too keen on.
Mason is expensive.
Kinesis tire clearance on the Athein Disc is too small (25 or 28 depending on manufacturer)
Kinesis tripster doesn't seem like something I'd like. I prefer straight forks for a reactive feel.

Budget is 800eur for wheels and frame together. My total budget is around 1000 but the Juin Tech F1 brakes take ~200eur out already.

What would the WWCW recommend?
Last edited by Hex on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

Oh! Thanks for the tip! Sadly they don't sseem to post to Spain, so can't access them framesets!

Hex

by Hex

Been looking at other frames as well.

Thinking of maybe buying a complete build and maybe changing the components.

In the search I noticed I am wanting a lot from a frame.

I really like my Xeon RS and in an ideal world i'd like the same bike i have now but with clearance for 40c tires (no mudguards needed)

I like the geometry, the feel and i would be looking forwards getting some nice, wide disc rims where I can fit my 28mm veloflex masters as well as 30c schwalbe pro ones wih some 38c g-ones as well when travelling

Whats out there that would fit what im looking for (that is not the 3t strada/exploro type of price)

So far i suspect that the Specialized Diverge may be it.
Canyon's Grail will only come with 27.5 wheels on my size.
Rose does have a gravel bike but looks more relaxed like a Canyon Grail.
Votec VRX, a lot of stack...

Anything else?

jemima

by jemima

Bowman Pilgrims Disk frameset may? have made your first cut. May fit a 32mm (specs mention 30mm).
There's an early frame development short vid out there mentioning the unpainted frame in a medium weighed about 1250gm.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-c ... -frameset/
More tyre clearance, but weight is up there for an alu frame. Taller front end.

Could be worth looking at the alu Eddy Merckx Strasbourg 71. Narrower 700c tyre clearance.
Curve Grovel ti.