Chain maintenance / lubricant for gravel riding

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

simoncx

by simoncx

If it's dry and sandy I use white lighting wax which has been pretty good but doesn't last too long even in the dry but keeps the chain clean. Normal days prolink gold or finishline wet (green color) if its alittle wet or mixed conditions. If it's raining, white lighting extreme (purple color) is really good, even in the muddiest cross race it doesn't wash off but if not raining everything sticks to it like a magnet.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Simoncx smooove does all of those conditions and no reapplying in 400+ miles i've found, worth trying would remove the need to for so many different lubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Do you guys find that gunk would develop on rd pulley easily with Smoove? If that's caused by over application, can you show video on how to apply the appropriate amount of Smoove?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

frogtape777

by frogtape777

I get a small amount of wax on pulley with smooove, and I cycle the chain backwards twice while squirting it on, i then check its got the bridged liquid between every other inner link as per the usage instructions.

I find the slight wax coating on pulley also really quietens it down.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I didn’t use Smoove’s own method.

For both Squirt and Smoove my method was to apply one tiny drop to each roller on the bottom chainline, then run my finger over the chain to smush it in. Backpedal and repeat on the next section of chain until every roller has received a drop. Leave to dry overnight.

The official methods result in too much excess in between links and built up on various drivetrain components. Even used judiciously, eventually black gunky wax eventually built up in the cutouts of my cogs/sprockets.