Best fenders for 28mm+ tires

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm seriously thinking about buying the trek checkpoint SL 5 and I'm thinking about what kind of fenders I should install on them for the rainy commutes. The bike has fender mounts, disc brakes and clearance for 45mm tires, so fitting fenders shouldn't be a big deal. Still, I'd like super silent fenders that are easy to remove, with as much coverage as possible.

I'm sure everybody has their favorites here. Based on my experience, I'd probably go with the PDW ponchos. Just because I have the PDW full metals on my road bike and had ok experience with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

portland design works..I'm using 650Beast
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

benhama

by benhama

I am running 28mm Continetal GP4000 SII tyres on Pacenti Forza rims, giving a tyre width of 31mm when inflated to 65psi. I've just put a set of "Bontrager NCS Fender Set" on my Trek Domane SL6. There's plenty of clearance for me and they are securely fixed to my bike (they are quiet!), so I'd recommend them.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Berthoud stainless steel fenders are my favourite. They're very nicely made (with a rolled edge, which gives a noticeable reduction in the amount of water that comes out the side of the fender when the road is really wet), the mounting hardware is better quality than anything else around, they're available in multiple widths (40mm, 50mm, 60mm), different lengths (having the front fender long enough so that the water exiting from the front of it is going downwards makes quite a difference), and they also have an optional mudflap. The pair on my commute bike have been going strong for about 20 years and look pretty much the same as the day I fitted them.

Here's a pair of their 60mm wide 650b fenders with mudflap over 50mm tyres:

Marin

by Marin

Velo Orange also make good metal ones, I use them over my 650b 42mm Pari Motos.

I have SKS plastic on my city commuter, and they are alright too.

morganb

by morganb

Honjos are nicely made and very light for full fenders (aluminum construction). Solid hardware means no rattles too. They are comparable to the Berthouds but alloy instead of stainless.

Lugan

by Lugan

+1 for Portland Design Works. They are super durable and quiet (no rattling!).

parajba

by parajba

I have a Caad13 with 28mm tyres.
I currently have the NCS 28-35 size but the rear gives me problems as it's slightly too wide for the rear seat stays. The rear also rattles because the bike has been assembled without the rear adjustable bridge.
I am considering the PDW in the 37mm size (for tyres up to 30mm).
Has anybody tried them in the Caad13? They look good.
Another option would be the NCS in size 18-25, but not sure they will fit the 28mm tyres with sufficient clearance.
I now have the rear adjustable bridge after complaining with my LBS.
Any suggestions?

parajba

by parajba

parajba wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:22 pm
I have a Caad13 with 28mm tyres.
I currently have the NCS 28-35 size but the rear gives me problems as it's slightly too wide for the rear seat stays. The rear also rattles because the bike has been assembled without the rear adjustable bridge.
I am considering the PDW in the 37mm size (for tyres up to 30mm).
Has anybody tried them in the Caad13? They look good.
Another option would be the NCS in size 18-25, but not sure they will fit the 28mm tyres with sufficient clearance.
I now have the rear adjustable bridge after complaining with my LBS.
Any suggestions?
So...the PDW arrived but the alloy stays are too short. Anybody else tried to mount them on a CAAD13 size 51? I am running 28mm tyres, the PDW should work up to 30mm tyres (at least the version I bought), but there is very little clearance. Maybe I need to get the longer alloy stats, be more patient and try again...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com