Chain Guides for Cyclocross Single Chainring

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi All

Just finished cleaning 8 kg of mud off my Specialized Crux after today's North of England CX Champs at Peel Park in Bradford. Great course but not surprisingly, given this week's weather, an absolute claggy mudfest. I'm running a single Absolute Black chainring, which has always been rock solid but today my chain unshipped four times due to mud buildup; not helped by the fact it is the alloy frame version, which has a chainstay bridge.

Anyway it's not like I was up with the leaders but it is still annoying. Has happened in similar conditions so time to do something about it. So can you good folks recommend me a chain guide suitable for a 36t oval chainring. Needs to be braze-on mount as an alloy Crux has a squarish profile at the bottom of its downtube.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I've seen a lot of people use the praxis works one. Even on a crux. ;)

FWIW, i found you can delay the inevitable by oiling (GT85 or similar) or waxing up (Pledge?) the whole back of the seat tube and the stays. Helps it slide off, obviously only works for the first bit of the race, and sometimes if there is a lot of grass mixed in it doesn't help so much!

steveb77

by steveb77

How does the front mech attach on a Crux or are they single ring specific

As for pre-treatment, a lot of Pro riders use baking oil sprayed on their frames to help shed mud. You can also use something like a Nanowax that makes the frames super slippy, I do on my MTB and CX bikes and it works a treat,

ironhayden08

by ironhayden08

steveb77 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 pm
How does the front mech attach on a Crux or are they single ring specific
The new carbon Crux (2018 and 2019) uses a 31.6 band-on derailleur mount. The older carbon Cruxes have a FD mount already attached.