140 vs 160 mm disc rear for touring?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FreaK

by FreaK

I was looking up the Hope RX4 calipers and they are apparently designed for 160 only, both front and rear.
I've tried a 140-160 hydraulic setup before and it felt entirely sufficient, but I was not loaded up, and i was not descending a mountain pass.
Currently I have a fairly basic bike that I'm experimenting with to see what works for me, and the mechanical 160mm setup is far from sufficient, so it's a little hard to gauge. This particular frame is IS mount, so trying the Hopes is a little less straight forward.

Thoughts? Touring experiences?
The commuting side of the equation is particularly rough on brakes as my commute includes descending a high traffic hill in the dirty seasons, with significant braking.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

160mm rear. The weight saving is to small to warrant a140mm rotor. Its not about it feeling sufficient. There will be occasions however rare where the 140mm is not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Don't worry about 160 at the rear. Just slap it on, try to lock it up a few times in test ride. You will adjust your hand force for rear brake accordingly then.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Marin

by Marin

For touring weight is less relevant, and bigger rotors are better for heavy loads - use 160.

mattr

by mattr

For the weight you add going bigger, i'd be looking at going as big as the frame will take front and rear.