Trek ALR5 Checkpoint 2019 vs Cannondale Caadx 105 2019

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

gotgame

by gotgame

Hi :)

i have a big dilemma. i have to choose between these 2 bikes: Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 Solid charcoal 2019 model and Cannondale Caadx 105 Vulcan green 2019 Model. both will be size 54.

Trek has old model of shimano 105 with RS505 hidraulic levers https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... 5/p/22630/

Cannondale has brand new model of 105 r7020 also hidraulic. https://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/Bi ... =undefined

Both have same price. I like more the paintscheme on Caadx and the fact that has the new model of 105. Trek is a bit lighter (9,9kg vs 10,5kg caadx) and has thru axle on both wheels ( Caadx has qr in rear, thru axle front), trek also seems to have larger tire clearance (40c vs 37c).

I am a big caad fan ( had before caad10, Caad12, supersix) but if trek seems to be more performance oriented....if it would had the new model of 105, my choice would be easier :)
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have an ALR that I built from a FS so I cannot speak on the groupset but I love the versitility of the bike. I have used it for gravel racing as well as mounted up a rack and bags for bike camping. It is a very fun bike for many purposes.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Go ride both bikes and make the decision, that way. Speaking honestly, you won’t likely keep either groupset long term. This is WeightWeenies, it needs to be lighter!

Go with the bike that you feel most comfortable on, and the bike you get at the best price, then start working on the upgrades (oh, and I know you’ll think this is sacrilegious, but QR aren’t evil - just get yourself some RWS skewers and you’ll be fine).

Personally, I would go with the ALR, but that’s mainly because: (1) I know Trek’s geometries, and I know what fits me and what doesn’t and (2) I’m familiar with Treks, and could probably build it in my sleep. That’s just me, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gotgame

by gotgame

went today and took another look at them. caadx paint is alot nicer ( that green olive looks stunning in real world). welds are nicer also on caadx. weighted both. trek has around 9,9kg and caadx around 10,05-10,1 kg both sz54 (i think that's because caadx has heavier wheels and tires). i also like more the caadx classic geometry with that horizontal top tube. too bad that they didn't bothered to put thru axle on rear

on trek i like the fact that has thru axle on both wheels and that rear drops adjustability.

overall i think that will choose the caadx due to paint and newer 105 grupset. i do not plan in replacing the groupset at all. is an allround bike. will upgrade the cockpit seatpost and maybe the wheels in time.
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

gotgame

by gotgame

bought the caadx :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com