problems with sram 1x clogging

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

simoncx

by simoncx

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with sram 1x clogging in the mud. I've always used shimano but switched this year to sram, one with force 1 shifters and the other red shifter both are hydro and force 1 deraileurs. So far in 3 races this year the rear shifting would stop within one lap, once it was washed it would work again but would stop working again in just 1 lap. I've cleaned out the shifters and relubed, replaced all casing and cables with sealed ones on both bikes and today the same thing again, I didn't make it 1.5 laps and no shifting. I've used shimano for years and have never had this happen, is this common because I'm really considering selling the group and changing back to shimano?

Jugi

by Jugi

”Shifting stops working” is a broad statement. What exactly happens? Indexing clicks disappear from the lever? Derailleur stops moving? Chain skips on the cassette so much it can’t be ridden?

I have had one instance on a MTB where my XX1 RD’s jockeys got so clugged up, the chain got misplaced from the jockey’s narrow/wide teething and started making a laboursome noise. Shifting still worked, it just wasn’t very pleasant to use until clearing itself and jumping back on the right teething.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simoncx

by simoncx

Every time it’s happened I could force it to up shift but it would not down shift, there would be no click in the shifter like normal. The first time it happened I went to down shift and nothing then 10 secs latter it would it would dump it down a couple gears because I pushed the lever a couple times to get to try to down shift. The other 2 times it seems like it just gets stuck and I can’t down shift. Everything on both bikes is new but I’ve tried flushing out the lever and relubing, replacing the casing and cable with a fully sealed one and lubing all the pivots and jockey wheels in the derailleur but if it a very muddy race weekend like last week it won’t make it 1 lap. The last race I actually had my race bike from last year with mech dura ace and when I switched to it I had no problems shifting.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I've had this happen but it was a shitty run of the shifter housing that the bike shop ran it around the BB and the cable would stick on occasion.

simoncx

by simoncx

I've had the cable around the BB cause crappy shifting if exposed, but on my cross bikes I always run cables sealed in casing so nothing can get in. I tried flushing the shifter and relubing it with sram grease instead of t9 spray lube that I always used on shimano. Thank you for pm tip about the grease and not spray lube, hopefully this fixes it.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

simoncx wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 am
I've had the cable around the BB cause crappy shifting if exposed, but on my cross bikes I always run cables sealed in casing so nothing can get in. I tried flushing the shifter and relubing it with sram grease instead of t9 spray lube that I always used on shimano. Thank you for pm tip about the grease and not spray lube, hopefully this fixes it.
Also, use the SRAM slickwire coated cables. They are 1.1mm as opposed to Shimano and everybody elses being 1.2mm. I've found it makes a difference on SRAM stuff.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Used to get this when assembling 1x SRAM builds.
One thing to check is the rear mech set up, make sure the jockey wheels are the correct distance from the cassette.
When they’re too far away the chain would drop down in to bigger gears.
Sounds silly but it was fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

tarmackev wrote:Used to get this when assembling 1x SRAM builds.
One thing to check is the rear mech set up, make sure the jockey wheels are the correct distance from the cassette.
When they’re too far away the chain would drop down in to bigger gears.
Sounds silly but it was fairly common.

We checked everything even changing cable inners and outers and it was all down to correct derailleur set up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

I have had similar issues. Super muddy, hour long race and RD struggle to downshift into harder gears. In both races the shifting issues were noticeable around 45 minutes in. I can shift into easier gears with minimal issue. I attributed it too not having a pit bike and push/pull forces acting on derailleur. Can shift to easier gears becuase cable pull force is high enough to move derailleur up the cassette through the muck. Can not shift to harder gears becasue the spring tension is not high enough to pull through all the mud jamming it up. thoroughly cleaned bike and have not had any issues the 3 races since.