Recommendation for Hookless Gravel Rims/Wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Trying to put together parts for Gravel/cx bike. I would primarily be riding dirt/gravel/asphalt and would also use for the odd cx race. I’ve come across the Derby cx 23i and the FSE g40/30x, both of which I believe are stocked by wheelbuilder.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these rims or recommendations for similar rims/wheels? Also interested in any thoughts on hubs. I’ve used WI and I9 on the road and been happy with both, but this is a first going more off-road. Thanks.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm using Enve 4.5AR with i9s (loud freehub)... thought about g23 but too wide for my other bikes. Sorry no experience with the brands you have listed.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700c-cx36-wheelset/

I've had this wheelset for 8 months and can't say enough good things about it. It's not hookless (i also have an older set that are hookless light bicycle) but I have no reservations about durabiulity of these hooked rims. Hit a square edged piece of concrete that succeded in killing BOTH tires but the rims were literally mark free. $1200.00 shipped with I9 centerlock torch hubs and Sapim spokes.

Miller

by Miller

That Lightbicycle rim, RR36C02, is available as hookless if you look on the LB website.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Good looking rims. New to this, but does LB actuallly build up the full wheel sets? Do they do a good job?

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Miller wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:34 am
That Lightbicycle rim, RR36C02, is available as hookless if you look on the LB website.

Are you ordering from lightbicycle.com or US.lightbicycle.com? The prices on the us site seem pretty high compared to the link you provided above.

emotive

by emotive

Miller wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:34 am

Yes, they build up wheels at the factory, my LBS has been impressed with the 2 sets I have, and now buys their rims for their own builds. I purchased the above hookless rims in 2016, direct from the factory, as a wheelset. I had LB build them onto Hope Pro4 28h hubs for around US$800. I have over 9,000km on them. They have been flawless. Highly recommended so long as you are OK with the 40psi max pressure recommendations, which should be fine for most riders on gravel rims.

I'm not convinced there is much aero benefit with a 40mm tyre on them, so for my second set, I focused on weight rather than aero. I bought a set of Light Bicycle 295g MTB rims (RM29C06 flyweight) and had LB build them on DT240S 28h hubs for a 1200g gravel wheelset. LB have just updated this rim to be 3mm wider inside and out: XC925. I would have bought the wider XC925 version if it were available at the time I bought.

Miller

by Miller

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm
Are you ordering from lightbicycle.com or US.lightbicycle.com? The prices on the us site seem pretty high compared to the link you provided above.
The prices shown on the Chinese websites are ex-tax. Those prices are what you pay them but when the product is shipped to your country, you're likely to be hit with import duty on top of that.

I would assume the prices shown on the US site are duty paid for US residents hence a bit higher. That and trying to profit from rich westerners, lol.

Connor

by Connor

We built up a set of the lightbicycle flyweight rims to novatec straight pull hubs with cx rays and it came out to a sub 1200 grams wheelset for less than 600 dollars.... So, I'd say these are good option if you want to go as light as possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

never mind...
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels