Suggestions needed for new Gravel/Endurance Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

philipBer

by philipBer

Hi,

For long distance bikebacking on gravel & tarmac I am currently searching for a frameset that ticks the following boxes:

- Carbon or Titanium
- Preferably a frameset as I have the other parts already but I would also be ok with takign a complete bike apart if the frame suits all theneeds
- Mounts for bottlecages under downtube
- Fender mounts
- Disc and Di2 specific
- Internal routing of cables and hoses
- Long distance geometry (I am ok with quite sprty seating position though)
- Should be available in Europe, not willing to pay inport tax...
- thru-axle 15mm or 12mm up front
- Post or flatmount, either of both would be ok
- Wheelsize: 700c 650b only nice to have

Nice to have and not esentially needed:

- Mounts on top tube for small bags
- Mounts on fork for the Salsa Anything cradle and/or bottle cages (at least two threads)
- Mounts for rack in the back
- Routing and mounting option for dynamo light

I have already some bikes on the list:

- Fuji Jari Carbon
- The new Slasa Warbird
- Albannach Torragar
- Vpace T2ST Speedtraveler
- Rose Backroad
- Cannondale Synapse
- Bomptrack Hook EXT-C

I have for sure missed a lot of other frames out there so suggestions for other Frames/Bikes are highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Philip
Last edited by philipBer on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Take a look at Trek Checkpoint SL.
Frameset is available but I don’t see it on UK website
www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/collec ... kes/c/B546

In depth review https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/trek-checkpoint-review
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

philipBer

by philipBer

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am
Take a look at Trek Checkpoint SL.
Frameset is available but I don’t see it on UK website
www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/collec ... kes/c/B546

In depth review https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/trek-checkpoint-review
That ticks many of the boxes thanks! If they only would do nicer paint.... :roll:

jemima

by jemima

I'm assuming you're chasing a thru-axle frameset?

What wheelsize and tyre clearance?
Curve Grovel ti.

mesomaxl

by mesomaxl

I'm currently on a similar hunt and also had the Checkpoint on my list.. the grey isn't as dull as the plain black ones (i.e. the Bombtrack) - but the BB90 (with a limited crank choice) and some other concerns (durability of the IsoSpeed, seat mast) put me off still.

Also the unsupported usage of 650b, in case i'd want to play with that…

The new Warbird is still lackign additional information, Rose doesn't come as frameset (i have a donator-bike).

What about:
- Lauf True Grit
- Open UP
- Norco Search XR Carbon
- Ibis Hakka

also check the Kinsesis Tripster ATR V2

philipBer

by philipBer

jemima wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm
I'm assuming you're chasing a thru-axle frameset?

What wheelsize and tyre clearance?
Updated in original post... 700c and tyre clearanc eof about 40mm, thru axle, 650b nice to have

philipBer

by philipBer

mesomaxl wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 pm
I'm currently on a similar hunt and also had the Checkpoint on my list.. the grey isn't as dull as the plain black ones (i.e. the Bombtrack) - but the BB90 (with a limited crank choice) and some other concerns (durability of the IsoSpeed, seat mast) put me off still.

The new Warbird is still lackign additional information, Rose doesn't come as frameset (i have a donator-bike).

What about:
- Lauf True Grit
- Open UP
- Norco Search XR Carbon
- Ibis Hakka

Thanks for the input!

Fully agree on your points raised on the Trek. The lauf is very nice but doesn't support Di2 2x11. Open UP doesn't fit my geometry needs and is (in my opinion) heavily overprised. Norco Search is a option but I am still wondering what they intend with this rather ugly "seatpost binder area". Ibis Hakka is great (love the red!) but misses the wanted mounts. Will put the Kinesis on the list...

Looking forwar to full release of the new Warbird and hope to get further info on it. Is there already a release date and are they planning to release more then the black paint with coloured graphics?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Although the Lauf doesn't explicitly support di2 we're about to become a dealer and have asked them about this and their response was that we can drill the frame and it will still be under full warranty. I'm planning to do just as much for myself although in a 1x11 config.
philipBer wrote:
mesomaxl wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 pm

What about:
- Lauf True Grit
- Open UP
- Norco Search XR Carbon
- Ibis Hakka

Thanks for the input!

Fully agree on your points raised on the Trek. The lauf is very nice but doesn't support Di2 2x11. Open UP doesn't fit my geometry needs and is (in my opinion) heavily overprised. Norco Search is a option but I am still wondering what they intend with this rather ugly "seatpost binder area". Ibis Hakka is great (love the red!) but misses the wanted mounts. Will put the Kinesis on the list...

Looking forwar to full release of the new Warbird and hope to get further info on it. Is there already a release date and are they planning to release more then the black paint with coloured graphics?
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mesomaxl

by mesomaxl

okay - so our search profile is really nearly the same.

I was also looking at the Rodeo Labs Traildonkey and let it ship/import via my local dealer - but the lack of a testbike (and any review whatsoever) makes it less attractive. But with 2560 USD it is pretty damn close to the original Open U.P.

For a complete bike… what about the Kona Libre? If it was available as a frameset, i'd give it a shot.
Or you look instead for the infamous Carbonda CFR 696, if you are willing to take the risk. The general feedback is seemingly positive.

And of course there would be plenty of more options, if you would (like me currently) open the search also into the steel-frame segment ;)

Further complete builds maybe worth looking at:
- Ghost Fire Road-Rage and Endless Road-Rage
- Merida Silex (strange looks though)

EDIT:

aahh - an in case you can live with 40c tires and two fork mounts instead of a downtube -> Niner RLT 9 RDO
And another Ti option: Lynskey GR 260 which should also tick all the boxes (available in Europe via Chainreaction Cycles)
The Kineses can be found cheap here https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-fr ... tml?rctxt=

philipBer

by philipBer

mesomaxl wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 pm
okay - so our search profile is really nearly the same.

I was also looking at the Rodeo Labs Traildonkey and let it ship/import via my local dealer - but the lack of a testbike (and any review whatsoever) makes it less attractive. But with 2560 USD it is pretty damn close to the original Open U.P.

For a complete bike… what about the Kona Libre? If it was available as a frameset, i'd give it a shot.
Or you look instead for the infamous Carbonda CFR 696, if you are willing to take the risk. The general feedback is seemingly positive.

And of course there would be plenty of more options, if you would (like me currently) open the search also into the steel-frame segment ;)

Further complete builds maybe worth looking at:
- Ghost Fire Road-Rage and Endless Road-Rage
- Merida Silex (strange looks though)

EDIT:

aahh - an in case you can live with 40c tires and two fork mounts instead of a downtube -> Niner RLT 9 RDO
And another Ti option: Lynskey GR 260 which should also tick all the boxes (available in Europe via Chainreaction Cycles)
The Kineses can be found cheap here https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-fr ... tml?rctxt=

I currently have a steel bike, its great but for fool weather I like to have something that is not rusting inside out... ;) I know i isnt that bad but I just dont want to hassle around with waxing the frame inside and the likes..

The Niner is definately an option, I do not understand why they routed the brakehose externally on the fork though... The Linskey looks good but as far as I can see has external cable routing bosses... looks odd if you install Di2..

The Kona has a little too much sloping for my liking, so has the Traildonkey and the Merida. The Ghost looks very nice! BUT: the version with fork bosses is only 1x11 and the one which is capable of 2x11/Di2 has no bosses on the fork.... :noidea:

mesomaxl

by mesomaxl

so - after checking your candidates I also wrapped my head deeper into the T2ST from VPace. Quite apparently this is from Waltly or XACD - but with the quality control already done...

Also I got convinced now, that the BB90 from Trek is a thing to absolutely avoid ;) Thank you Hambini!
Rather look for a PF30 solution if you can´t get around PressFit at all.

So.. "back to the drawing board" - the VPace seems to especially fit my geometry-needs (long legs, more comfy position).
Waiting for a reply regarding Di2 / 650b and frame finish - on the other hand… Ravensburg is less than 2 hours from Zürich.

We'll see :)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

In case you haven’t seen Fuji Jari www.fujibikes.com/europe/bikes/road/adv ... uring/jari
Thumbs up for threaded BB.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Finx

by Finx

Don't overlook Norco Search and Search XR. They are great bikes and we'll priced within the various spec classes.

I currently have the XR carbon in silver/gray fade with Boyd Jocassee 650b wheels and 47mm WTB ByWays. It's so much fun to ride and can handle a huge variety of terrain...ImageImage

Edit to add: this was originally purchased with the SRAM 1X setup, but I didn't care for it much and replaced it with Ultegra Di2.

mesomaxl

by mesomaxl

the Search is absolutely sold out here as frameset (and therefore missing test-ride options).

The Jari i would have considered if i was looking for steel (where i'd even lean more towards the Niner RLT9).

Aluminium-wise: Mason Bokeh or Orange Bikes

Finx

by Finx

mesomaxl wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:46 am
the Search is absolutely sold out here as frameset (and therefore missing test-ride options).

The Jari i would have considered if i was looking for steel (where i'd even lean more towards the Niner RLT9).

Aluminium-wise: Mason Bokeh or Orange Bikes
Availability has always been an issue with Norco gravel bikes. You might have your dealer contact Norco and inquire about the possibility of a new shipment. It's 'that' time of year. They may also be able to move some inventory around (this is how I got mine).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com