Suggestions needed for new Gravel/Endurance Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I have an Open U.P.P.E.R. that I think ticks all your boxes except for fender mounts. I built mine up with two sets of wheels - one 700c set on which I run Compass Bon Jon Pass 35mm tyres for rides which are mostly bitumen, and a 650b set with WTB Horizon 47mm tyres for rides which are mostly gravel. It comes in at +/-8kg depending on which set of wheels I'm using: https://photos.app.goo.gl/opDBJEkMSzvsSd419

The frame only comes in matt black, but if you look on the Open website, there are quite a few examples in their showcase there from owners who've had their frames painted in colours of their choice.

philipBer wrote:Hi,

For long distance bikebacking on gravel & tarmac I am currently searching for a frameset that ticks the following boxes:

- Carbon or Titanium
- Preferably a frameset as I have the other parts already but I would also be ok with takign a complete bike apart if the frame suits all theneeds
- Mounts for bottlecages under downtube
- Fender mounts
- Disc and Di2 specific
- Internal routing of cables and hoses
- Long distance geometry (I am ok with quite sprty seating position though)
- Should be available in Europe, not willing to pay inport tax...
- thru-axle 15mm or 12mm up front
- Post or flatmount, either of both would be ok
- Wheelsize: 700c 650b only nice to have

Nice to have and not esentially needed:

- Mounts on top tube for small bags
- Mounts on fork for the Salsa Anything cradle and/or bottle cages (at least two threads)
- Mounts for rack in the back
- Routing and mounting option for dynamo light

I have already some bikes on the list:

- Fuji Jari Carbon
- The new Slasa Warbird
- Albannach Torragar
- Vpace T2ST Speedtraveler
- Rose Backroad
- Cannondale Synapse
- Bomptrack Hook EXT-C

I have for sure missed a lot of other frames out there so suggestions for other Frames/Bikes are highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Philip
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

thprice

by thprice

If you are OK with open mold frames:
- Workswell WCB-M-125
- Miracle Bikes CX028
- Carbonda CFR696
Plenty of others as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Are you still looking for a frame?

I just bought a Genesis Datum, it ticks a lot of your boxes. Only thing you haven't specified is what size tyres you want to run - the Datum has clearance for about 40mm tyres without mudguards, 35mm with 45mm mudguards fitted.

Some crazy run out sales at the moment as the 2019 frame just dropped. Only change is 12mm thru axles front and back. I picked up the 2018 frame which has 15mm thru axle front, 135mm QR rear.

Mine was £745 for the frameset.

http://www.londonbicycleworkshop.com/96476/products/genesis-datum-adventure-frameset-green.aspx

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Have you considered the Felt Breed 20/30?

Aluminum, T-47 BB, 650bx47 stock, smart R7000 build w Praxis sub-compact or Force 1x, both at very attractive price-points, and with great looking finishes.

I have one on the way - will report back.

jemima

by jemima

Planet-X Holdsworth Mystique has been available as a frameset recently. 700.
Curve Grovel ti.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Finished building my Lauf up and after a few shake down rides all I'm left with is wanting to ride more!!Image

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Lovely! What gearing are you using (and what's your local terrain like)?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

46 oval 11x42 rear, I'm in Southern Ontario so we don't have massively epic climbs but lots of rolling hills which can be quite steep. Once stuff drys out I'll try some mtb trails on it, although that won't happen till spring at this rate

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks! I'm in NorCal (Oakland) and have the same crank but set up with a 40T Easton ring with 11x42 on the back. I've more run out of top end on road rides than low end.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

mattyNor wrote:46 oval 11x42 rear, I'm in Southern Ontario so we don't have massively epic climbs but lots of rolling hills which can be quite steep. Once stuff drys out I'll try some mtb trails on it, although that won't happen till spring at this rate

How do you like that gearing?

I’m about to build up a 1x road bike with Rival 1 + XX1 cassette.

Trying to decide on chainring size. I live at 6,000ft+, regularly ride above 10,000ft/3,000m. Not a lot of super steep roads here, and doubt I’ll use the 42t much on the cassette, but there aren’t many good options for 1x cassettes yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

britter440

by britter440

I'd kick the Synapse off the list unless you're going for an SE model. You just can't fit wide enough tires to comfortably tackle gravel otherwise. Something else to consider is aluminum frame bikes that have 650b wheels. We have an eye on the Felt Breed 20 for my girlfriend right now.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

LeDuke wrote:
mattyNor wrote:46 oval 11x42 rear, I'm in Southern Ontario so we don't have massively epic climbs but lots of rolling hills which can be quite steep. Once stuff drys out I'll try some mtb trails on it, although that won't happen till spring at this rate

How do you like that gearing?

I’m about to build up a 1x road bike with Rival 1 + XX1 cassette.

Trying to decide on chainring size. I live at 6,000ft+, regularly ride above 10,000ft/3,000m. Not a lot of super steep roads here, and doubt I’ll use the 42t much on the cassette, but there aren’t many good options for 1x cassettes yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't really comment on the effects of altitude but if you live and ride at that altitude normally my guess is that it's irrelevant, although you'd be a beast once you descend to us mortals. 1x gearing is something that you can definitely get very nerdy about and gearing calculators can be quite helpful. Sram cassettes are nice since you get the 10t cog so you can use a smaller chainring and get an easier top end climbing gear but the jumps between gears are even worse than on a cassette with an 11t small cog. I personally prefer running a bigger ring and using a cassette with an 11t small cog. I ran 11x40 with a 46 for a while and I found that 46/40 was as low a gear as I ever needed since any lower and I'd just be loosing traction in my tires (Maxxis Ramblers) anyways. For this bike since I have beefier tires I went to a 42 cassette. Shimano mtb cassettes shift better and you can fit them on 10s freehub bodies so that opens up some cheap wheel options. For this bike I wanted an all black drivetrain so I figured I'd experiment with Sunrace cassettes. So far it shifts about as well, although with a di2 rear derraileur anything shifts well, and also fits on a 10s freehub body.