Stans CB7 Grail Pro.. anyone try them

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

25-40 tires size
low weight..300g rim
might be flexy is my only concern...

Really want Enve G23's might those might to too specialized with min tire size 35c..I'd like to have some options for going on different bikes to reduce the # of wheels hanging from my rafters.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Exactly what i read in a review, they're more flexy than many others.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

psuambassador

by psuambassador

I'll let you know. I just built a custom set with the Grail CB7's with DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. Got the set down to 1218g.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

psuambassador wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:05 am
I'll let you know. I just built a custom set with the Grail CB7's with DT Swiss 350 hubs and Sapim Laser spokes. Got the set down to 1218g.
nice..350;s are not even lightweight,,
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

grooveninja

by grooveninja

I built them w/ 240 centerlock and CX-Rays, a little over 1200gm/pair. Since I have a 45 & 37c tire, it's a bit harder to tell if they are flexible compared to a 23c road tire, but for gravel, so far, super happy! I originally built them for my wife (130lbs), but I've been riding them on my Stigmata CX bike on intermediate XC trails without issues.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Regarding flexiness, Stan's lightests aluminum rims were cerainly pretty flexy, in all directions, however they claim the CB7 is 3x stiffer laterally so I wouldn't worry about lateral flex on the CB7. Regarding radial stiffness, Stan's does claim to have engineered in flex, more so than other carbon rims, both to help the rim survive sharp impacts, and to smooth out the ride. Here is a vid you might not have seen which is them demonstrating that flex on a mountain bike rim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWW1fPHnK1k

Most wheelbuilders will tell you that you never want spokes to de-tension as seen in this video, so to think that the rim should/will be flexing this much routinly is erroneous or misleading. Many of them will also make the point that you can't separate lateral/radial flex as once the spokes lose their tension due to a radial impact they can't support lateral loads either.

However, I can imagine a bit of a middle ground where the more radially flexible rim is slightly more compliant, while still staying within the spoke's elastic limits, keeping them somewhat tensioned and thus benefiting from the compliance without losing lateral stiffness. Also, on a catestrophic impact, I think that a detensioning of the spokes and distribution of force through a greater portion of the rim is preferable to a more rigid rim that cracks at the point of impact. All in all, I think they are one of the more interesting designs out there and I'd be happy to ride them. I'd need to take price relative to other options into account before actually buying them, though.

moyboy

by moyboy

Thinking of this rim too, maybe to extralite spd-2. How do the spd-2's handle the dirt?

prokyon

by prokyon

So... how are they? Has anyone managed to bend a rim?

gSporco

by gSporco

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:43 pm
25-40 tires size
low weight..300g rim
might be flexy is my only concern...

Really want Enve G23's might those might to too specialized with min tire size 35c..I'd like to have some options for going on different bikes to reduce the # of wheels hanging from my rafters.
For what its worth I had G23s and 4.5ARs.. The g23 has an internal of 23mm and the 4.5ARs have an internal of 25mm... I ran 32mm GK slicks on the 25mm internal 4.5ARs with no issues at all. So the g23s could handle skinny tires and probably make for an excellent climbing/stage wheel as well as the bullet proof Gravel build.

Also the G23s are very stiff, no flex at all and Im 175 pounds.. I felt the bottom bracket of my Niner RDO flex before the wheels did.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my op post is from 2018.. :)

I'm happy with my G27s and 4.5AR... I have more wheels hanging in the rafters then ever. :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

gSporco

by gSporco

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:46 am
my op post is from 2018.. :)

I'm happy with my G27s and 4.5AR... I have more wheels hanging in the rafters then ever. :noidea:
Oh crap lol.. It shot to the top an I didnt even look at the date :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com