Building a budget cross commuter (CAADX vs TCX vs other..?)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

saeched

by saeched

I have around £500 to play with to begin with. Commute is 25km each way, mixed surface and around 400m of climbing.

Current plan is to pick up a secondhand CAADX (£250) or TCX (£350), strip them for parts - stock finishing kit & wheels weigh a ton - sell the spart parts and purchase some nicer components. What sort of weight have people managed with alloy cross bikes similar to these? Any other models I should consider?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I've got a cube crossrace which I bought used. Theyre fantastic value brand new.

Only downside is the alu fork steerer which weighs a ton.

Probably a bit more expensive than your budget but the trek crocketts always get good reviews
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saeched

by saeched

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:36 am
I've got a cube crossrace which I bought used. Theyre fantastic value brand new.

Only downside is the alu fork steerer which weighs a ton.

Probably a bit more expensive than your budget but the trek crocketts always get good reviews
I do like the crossrace, do you know the overall weight or what you'd swap to cut it?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I'm not sure of the weight, I'll weigh mine tonight and give you a list of components so you can get some idea.

I was shocked when I weighed the fork at 870g! That means nearly 500g of weight saving with a decent upgrade fork. I imagine the entry level caadx and certainly the tcx will be similar.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

saeched

by saeched

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm
I'm not sure of the weight, I'll weigh mine tonight and give you a list of components so you can get some idea.

I was shocked when I weighed the fork at 870g! That means nearly 500g of weight saving with a decent upgrade fork. I imagine the entry level caadx and certainly the tcx will be similar.
I've never swapped forks for a CX frameset, anything you'd recommend?

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

depends what bike youre fitting them to.

the higher end giant stuff is a decent weight with full carbon steerer, as is trek crockett and boone. I'm sure there's loads.

As an aftermarket option check out kinesis and columbus. Again, there must be tonnes to choose from but these are some that ive come across
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

well my crossrace in size 62 with ultegra, 1800g dt swiss tubeless wheels and carbon seatpost comes in at exactly 10kg
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

i stripped a fuji tread, and pseudo-WWd it with lighter wheels, carbon parts, etc...
still comes out to about 22lbs lol

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I've had caadx and tcx. Both rode well. Different geo to them, check the one that could fit. TCX had great tire clearance if you're looking for that ! CAADX were barely ok with 40mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com