Chainset Swap For Gravel Rig

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Hi All

I want to replace the FSA Gossamer Cross 46/36 chainset that came with my TCX for something with a wider range, and to ditch the need for the crap FSA Press Fit bearings that have worn out in no time. I currently have a Tanpan with an XT rear der and an 11-40 cassette, but the cable tension seems to go out of whack every few weeks so I'd like to ditch that as well and just use a Roadlink (if necessary). I'd like to keep the clutch so I'll try and pick up the Ultegra RX rear der. I'd also like to stick with similar gearing, so I'm thinking the Praxis Works Alba 48-32 with either an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette...any other ideas?

Thanks!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You can put a 33 on your FSA crankset, you'll have to decide if a 1 tooth difference warrants a crank change. 48 too of course.

I've heard that the Ultegra RD will shift up to a 40t cog without any mods, worth a try probably.

Where do you need more range? 2x with an 11-40 is already massive!

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Thanks, that could be an option but I've already decided to give the FSA crank the boot!

I like to tackle steep gravel climbs, so I wanna stick with the range I've got. Not looking for more overall range but thinking space out the front rings and keep the gain ratio I currently have by matching the Alba crank with a 34 or 36T at the rear.

No use grinding up steep loose gravel, been there done that...
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.