time for new pedals, the wellgos are 2 decades old

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i think its time for new cx/gravel pedals

what are you all using?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Shimano XT m-8000 on both MTB and my TCX and m520 on my commuter cross bike.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Ritchey one-sided SPD type.

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Eggbeaters.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

Catagory6

by Catagory6

anybody have experience with the Xpedo m-force pedals? specifically the M-Force 4Ti ?

i read a review that was quite surprising. they said it was very awkward to clip in. and they had some other complaints about cleat retention and releasing

the weight is very attractive. and the review said they have excellent mud-shedding

anybody have comparison to XTR 9000 ?

Marin

by Marin

I have the M-Force Ti, and they work just fine, no problems at all clipping in.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Shimano, any model. They will be good for abother 2 decades.

The new 9100 race are really nice. Otherwise I like XT.

My wife used Eggs, while not as durable they are good too. Get at least the Eggbeater 3.

RussellS

by RussellS

Briscoelab wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:21 pm
Shimano, any model. They will be good for another 2 decades.
I think you need to add an extra 0 to that 2. Any Shimano SPD pedal and cleat will last forever and work perfectly. Not light though. Concerning the Xpedo pedals mentioned above. I think I read where the Xpedo cleats were sort of, kind of compatible with Shimano SPD. The cleats sort of, kind of were interchangeable. Or not. Just depended on anything and everything. That may be why the other reviews you read were questionable.

Marin

by Marin

RussellS wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 pm
Any Shimano SPD pedal and cleat will last forever
The pedals will last for a long time if you service the bearings - but then, many other brands will, too.

Cleats lasting forever - only if you don't use them. I've yet to see a pair of cleats last longer than a full season of use.

RussellS

by RussellS

Marin wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 am
Cleats lasting forever - only if you don't use them. I've yet to see a pair of cleats last longer than a full season of use.
What??? You must ride while dragging your cleats on the road. Don't do that! Learn how to ride a bike. I've never replaced an SPD cleat. They are steel and last forever. Despite walking on streets during stops on rides. SPD-SL are plastic and need replacing every 5 years or so.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Recently I took apart my 9100 SPD-SL pedals to service the internals. The inside looks like brand new. The light grease still has a clear color and there’s so sign of any contamination. I put everything back without touching the grease. I don’t think I’ll ever open them again.

As for cleats I wear them out after a few months. I get off my bike a lot. I buy them in bulk and the unit cost is less than $12 USD. I have been a long time Speedplay user before I got my 9100. The Speedplay cleats are more than $40. Plus now I don’t get pedal tattoos anymore. I love a pedal that I can actually touch without getting grease on my hands. I just got some titanium bolts and washers for the cleats. I haven’t gotten them yet but they should save about 12 grams per pair of cleats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

RussellS wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 pm
Marin wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 am
What??? You must ride while dragging your cleats on the road. Don't do that! Learn how to ride a bike. I've never replaced an SPD cleat. They are steel and last forever. Despite walking on streets during stops on rides. SPD-SL are plastic and need replacing every 5 years or so.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know SPDs are for mountain biking? The one with the rocks and mud and riding in the woods?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I replace MTB cleats yearly on my most used shoes. The others usually last a couple or more (oldest ones, on my winter boots are probably 5 or 6 years old.)
Plastic road cleats never lasted more than a seasons racing at most. Even on shoes only used for racing/training.
Commuting shoes/bike they'd need replacing twice a year, usually only one cleat was knackered though!
I'm using older Time road pedals now, with a metal cleat, they last for several years.

To the OP; have a look at the latest time XC offerings, they are fairly durable, fairly light and clear mud well (better than shimano if it's clay/sticky stuff, but not as good as eggbeaters) They also are plenty stable, even when everything starts to wear.