Specialized Crux SCS dropout change and hub compatibility

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Just picked up a 2016 Specialized Crux Pro Race........ yes the one with the proprietary 12x135 SCS rear end, and am wondering what my hub options are if I replace the SCS derailleur hanger with the non SCS hanger effectively making it a 12x135 rear end. I don’t want to have to use the SCS Hope hubs as I’d rather use something that will work on this frame and then be convertible to 12x142 in the future. Does such a hub exist, and preferably in higher spoke count since I will be using aluminum tubular rims to build a couple sets of wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I think it was this company- https://nextcycling.com/blogs/news/scs- ... me-i-guess
But someone was making adaptor caps for DT hubs.
I have a buddy with an SCS Crux- He is using Enve 3.4 Disc wheels where he got caps and was able to use the 12x142mm thru axle DT hubs.

AJS914

by AJS914

I believe with DT Swiss you just source the correct end-caps. Like these for a 180/240S/350 hub:

https://www.amaincycling.com/dt-swiss-1 ... 0s/p490953

DT's compatibility chart:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/conv ... road-rear/

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Thanks guys. So it sounds like essentially a 12x142 DT Swiss 240 hub can be made a 12x135 by just changing the end caps and possibly just having to redish the wheel?

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

SpecializedColnago wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:49 pm
Just picked up a 2016 Specialized Crux Pro Race........ yes the one with the proprietary 12x135 SCS rear end, and am wondering what my hub options are if I replace the SCS derailleur hanger with the non SCS hanger effectively making it a 12x135 rear end. I don’t want to have to use the SCS Hope hubs as I’d rather use something that will work on this frame and then be convertible to 12x142 in the future. Does such a hub exist, and preferably in higher spoke count since I will be using aluminum tubular rims to build a couple sets of wheels.
VERY old thread but just wondering how you go on with this and what you ended up doing ? I have the opportunity to buy a 2016 Crux Pro withthe 135 thru axle but I am worried I will have trouble sourcing wheels.

Would appreciate your insight.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

The stock axle will be too short and you will need to find a longer replacement. Also the axle centering on the drive side goes away with the non SCS hanger.
Only get one of these frames if it's dirt cheap. Even then I would recomend skipping them.
Ride fast Take chances

AJS914

by AJS914

Read this:

https://nextcycling.com/blogs/news/scs- ... me-i-guess

Buy a 2015 Crux with quick releases. They are super cheap and hubs/wheels are easy to find.

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

Thanks for the reply guys. I really want a thru axle rather than QR to help alleviate flex and thus caliper rub.

I found these wheels and the Bontrager tech guy tells me they will absolutely work with the 2016 Crux if I leave the SCS hanger as is.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... l/p/23860/?
colorCode=black_grey

I am still not sure what axles I will need though. Any ideas guys ?

cerro

by cerro

Aren't those wheels 142mm? If so you will mess up your frame as it's 135mm.You don't need new axles to change a wheel.

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

cerro wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm
Aren't those wheels 142mm? If so you will mess up your frame as it's 135mm.You don't need new axles to change a wheel.

They are both.

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

Yes, they are both but supplied without axles. Not sure which ones I need as the frame is 1.75 thread. I have emailed Specialized but got no reply !

AJS914

by AJS914

AntonChigurh wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:52 am
the Bontrager tech guy tells me they will absolutely work with the 2016 Crux if I leave the SCS hanger as is.

I wouldn't trust the Bontrager tech guy to know anything about SCS. If you haven't already bought this lemon, then stay away unless it's practically a free frame. Go find a 2017 model!

cerro

by cerro

All Specialized's with thru axle uses Syntace X-12 standard.

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

All ? even the earlier ones ? I noticed that the alloy frames, even the 2019 ones are still using the 135mm rear spacing.

Is SCS only a rear spacing thing or does it in some way affect something else ? Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to get my head around it. It seems like it was a major problem at first ( 2015/2016 ) but now there seems to be quite a lot of wheelsets available and they as still producing this 135 spacing in the alloy frames so I assume over time it isnt such an issue now are am I missing something ?

Appreciate anyones insight / knowledge of the subject.

cerro

by cerro

On the aluminium Crux with QR it's 135mm yes and then the SCS feature is just a different derailleur hanger, the new ones got a straight one and aren't SCS.

The SCS spacing moved the cassette 2,5mm inward on the hub to be able to get a decent chainline with short chainstays (Tarmac SL5 disc has shorter stays than most new disc roadbikes). But with moving the cassette 2,5mm inward and at the same time use 12x135 it ended up with aftermarket wheels being an issue as the cassettes was touching the frames/derailleur hangers).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com