Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wolfshohl

by Wolfshohl

Rhys1987 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:15 pm
frogtape777 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 am
Sigurd wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:32 pm
Hi

I'm new to this forum and currently looking for a bike to replace my old Giant FCR1 hybrid. I'm looking at the Cannondale Topstone, and wondering what size would be correct for me. I'm 186 cm tall (ca. 6' 1'') with a 89-90 cm inseam (ca. 35 7⁄16 inches). Cannondale doesn't seem to have any sizing charts for their bikes, so for inexperienced buyers like me, choosing the correct size becomes confusing. I guess I'm a size L or XL? I tried a Topstone in Large yesterday, and it felt fine, but wondering if an XL would be even better. They didn't have an XL for testing. They did have a Medium though, but didn't try it.

Tried a Trek Checkpoint AL4 as well in size 58. It felt lower in the front end with more weight on the hands/wrists. Is an even weight distribution between the hands an seat preferable on this kind of bike?

I have a Thule Chariot Lite carrier that I need to pull using the bike. Is the bike compatible with any of Thules thru-axles? The axle is 142x12mm, but is it coned or straight? What brand is it? What's the thread pitch? The information (page 4 and 5) from Thule is confusing: https://www.thule.com.au/wp-content/upl ... _All-B.pdf

Any help would be very appreciated. :D
I'm 6' 2" and the large is a bit too big on the reach, I was too stretched out, so changed the stem to from 100 to an 80mm and now its perfect, the change in handling was unnoticable. XL would be much too big for me. From what you've said i'd go L, with the option to change stem lengths if required.

I’m 5’10” on a medium and as above I’ve also changed the stem from a 100 to 80mm. There is no noticeable Change in handling. Medium is roughly 54 caddx ( my old bike ), with 4mm extra reach if that helps. You could also get a inline seat post if you end up feeling a little stretched. Flipping the stem and experimenting with different sized stems is the best way to dial in your fit.
Just for different numbers.

I am 5'10" as well and I am on a large. Installed a setback post and kept the 100mm stem. 5cm drop.
CAAD is 56 but has 8cm drop and 120mm. Same setup on other road bikes. 56-57 TT, 120 stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Sigurd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 pm
frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 pm
Sigurd wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 pm
tomh79 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm 198cm / about 98cm inseam and ride XL - wouldn't go smaller. So I suppose L could fit you better...
Thanks! I went for a large which I picked up today. Slightly bummed when i found a small bump in the lower tube. It's small, but it's there:

Top of light post distorted in bump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V2qG2j ... sp=sharing

Post itself distorted by bump:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r0vjZY ... sp=sharing

It's small, but easily seen and felt when you discover it. Difficult to photograph. I'm slightly disappointed, but i'm probably just crazy. :cry: Is this a structural problem with the frame? Looks like it might be from production.
Is that on the top of the down tube? Can you get your finger nail in it, or get a picture from side on to show how deep it is?
That's right, the damage is on the top of the down tube. After closer inspection, it turns out that the damage is more extensive than I first thought:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vtvsVu ... p=drivesdk

I talked to the shop where I bought it, and a frame replacement is on the way. They didn't have any more complete bikes in large, only spare frames. The frame is hopefully here in a few weeks, and they would move the parts over when it arrives. I can use the bike until then, as there is no imminent danger of failure.

good call on new frame, i've checked mine in same spot and it has a miniscule gap there but nothing like yours :shock:

tomh79

by tomh79

What's the most effective way to make the Topstone 105 lighter?

-crank (FSA Omega ME) is about 871g, maybe replace with FSA SL-K (618g)
-Fabric saddle is 350g
-maybe wheels/tires?

other suggestions?

Svkaster

by Svkaster

Wheels for sure.

tomh79

by tomh79

any suggestions that don't empty my bank account?

Svkaster

by Svkaster

You should have think about this before you boght it 🤔.
One thing ( if not already done) make it tubeless.

Good luck

TonyM

by TonyM

tomh79 wrote:What's the most effective way to make the Topstone 105 lighter?

-crank (FSA Omega ME) is about 871g, maybe replace with FSA SL-K (618g)
-Fabric saddle is 350g
-maybe wheels/tires?

other suggestions?

Stem
Handlebars
Seat post
Wheels!!

triteacher

by triteacher

Been on my Apex 1 for about two months now (size L). As you can see the bike has undergone quite some upgrading :-)
Wasn‘t happy wirh the dropper at all, so that went first (saved a TON of weight!). Saddle is a ti rail FABRIC.
Then went from Apex 1 to Force 1, again shaving off some weight and - even though Apex 1 was quite good performance-wise - drastically improved the overall feel of the ride.
Exchanged the WTBs for PANARACERs 43mm tubeless (super!!!).
Only part I kept is the bars. Quite heavy at 320g but I did not see any affordable alternatives... Put on LIZARD SKINS DSP bar tape. Stem is a 110mm ZIPP.
The wheels will probably go in summer. Not quite sure about which way to go here though.
Bike weighed in at 9.4kg today. Hopefully wheels will get me sub 9.

tomh79

by tomh79

Thanks for the info!! Did you change the crank as well? And: how do the PANARACER compare to the WTBs? And did you buy the 2.5 DSP Tape or the 3.2? I already wanted to buy this last week but wasn't sure...was going for the 2.5...

triteacher

by triteacher

Hi,
I did not change the crank (bb). Only option would have been gxp ceramic - not in my budget:-)
The Panaracers are doing fine on and off road (set them up tubeless, no hassle whatsoever). I did not try the WTBs. As I do a lot of commuting on the bike I needed a tire that is okay on tarmac, the WTBs appeared a bit too gnarly here. Also wanted to go wider. The 43mm in fact still leave tons of space to go at least 45 or even wider...
Been using the DSP for years, best bartape ever in my opinion. Went with the 2.5 option. Had the 3.2 on my Slate, suuuper comfy but not necessary for the riding I do.
Last edited by triteacher on Thu May 02, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Any ideas what the stock Topstone 105 wheelset weighs?

tomh79

by tomh79

No, but can weigh them next week when I change tires.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

thanks!

frogtape777

by frogtape777

My Topstone upgrades so far.

Number one favourite upgrade, at around £130 so not cheap, but incredible comfort vs stock seatpost and good weight saving too, is the CanyonS13 VCLS seatpost, comes top in most reviews, for lightweight, trail buzz damping, and comfort. Weighed in around 209 grams. Bumpy roads feel amazing, gravel isn't far off my full sus which is really saying something for comfort!

Very high deflection and vibration scores, without any moving levers to get full of grit https://www.bikeradar.com/features/five ... -the-road/

(I also tried a Cannondale Save post, but the narrow part of the post went below the collar for my saddle height so RMAd)

Topeak Wedge that carries, high pressure pump, spare tube, chain splitter, tyre levers, scab patches, zipties, multiool, plasters, money, spare links

Clarks 22gram cages, a bargain at £14 a pop, and very nice bottle release and security

Ritchey stem 80mm, tried 100, 90, and settled on 80, perfect handling and great comfort for my height... (oh and spurcycle bell to scatter those ramblers off road :D )

Wahoo bolt!

99p bolts from ebay, lighter than stock, changed the lot

SKS Bluemels 53mm, coming off soon as everything dusty dry...

Next upgrade is wheels, thinking of these https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products ... 7931401859
but looking at other brands too...

triteacher

by triteacher

My commuting setup... using SKS “Speedrocker“ quick-mount fenders.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com