Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldmac

by oldmac

According to Japanese wedsite report,Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released. There are three models of the bike: Apex1 in blue color,Shimano 105 in blcak color and Shimano SORA in oliver green. Aluminum frame,carbon fork with up to 42C tire,no high tech suspension system,I think it is a truely practical bike.
https://www.cycling-ex.com/2018/08/cann ... stone.html

rothwem

by rothwem

I love google translate. My favorite translation from the link you provided: "Of course it's a tubeless lady with rims and tires."

Oh and the bike looks good too. The sizing is interesting too, the reach looks long. I guess its to get people on a shorter stem to make up for the slack headtube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Looks like a good looking and affordable winter/gravel/cx bike. I hope they won’t prove me wrong when they announce the price list....
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Looks interesting, if it’s got a threaded BB I’ll think seriously about it

Edit: it does have a threaded BB! Happy days! 220000Yen for the apex version means c. 1600 GBP so pretty decent value it seems
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

DJT21

by DJT21

Seems strange having both this and the CAADX in the lineup....
I currently have a 2017 CAADX and it's superb, but I'd like a full carbon fork and internal brake routing......which this Topstone has.
Wonder if the 2019 CAADX will get internal routing and a full carbon fork? Or will it be superseded by this new Topstone?

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

I own a CAAD12 and swore I'd never get another Cannondale thanks to the things like BB30A, 25.4mm seatpost, etc. on my CAAD that have put me off to the brand even though I love the ride.

However, I've been looking for a gravel/cyclocross/winter/commuter/"quiver-killer" bike and this checks off everything on my wish list (aluminum frame with carbon fork, internal cable routing, flat mount hydraulic discs, the new Shimano 105, 27.2mm seatpost, threaded BB, a ton of bottle mounts, rack mounts, thru axles, clearance for wide tires ie 40+). Just need to clarify if it has fender mounts, but didn't find it in the article after using Google translate. Assuming it does, definitely going to pull the trigger on one of these once it's released here in the states.
Last edited by MountainAddict on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grover

by grover

Yes it has fender mounts. Check the blue Apex1 build. You can see them inside the fork leg and on the seatstays at the rear axle.

oldmac

by oldmac

First Look - Cannondale Topstone from road.cc

The report from Bikeradar:https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/art ... one-52871/

DJT21

by DJT21

Anyone know if these will be available as a frameset only?

oldmac

by oldmac

DJT21 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:39 pm
Anyone know if these will be available as a frameset only?
I don‘t think so

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The Apex version is calling out for some mango Chris king goodness (and a carbon post, dropper on my mtb fine, but I’d rather save 500gms and stay rigid on this type of bike)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Marin

by Marin

Exactly, needs a frameset in the Japanese CAAD colors. Apex build wtf

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Oh my, Cannondale finally bite the bullet and went to BSA threaded BB. :shock:
18 years later they realized that BB30 introduced a problem to non-existed solution! :hello:
Kudos to Shimano for ignoring the pressure from the bike industry.

Well, let's see who else is going jump on the bandwagon. The more the merrier. Fuji and Specialized already on board with some models, not to mention smaller companies.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Shimano didn’t ignore it. They simply produced pressfit cups so you could still use their cranks. They ignored the push to 30mm spindles however, perhaps that’s more what you meant. Steel is a very good material for a crank spindle. Aluminum, on the other hand, while light, tends to expand and contract with temperature, hence the common “trick” of freezing a Cannondale 30mm spindle overnight to make it easier to insert through the bearings. The cluster*^%k of issues with the pressfit BB shells is a separate issue from the 30mm spindle, as you can have pressfit applications, and we do, regardless of whether a 30mm or 24mm spindle is being used.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Calnago wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:41 pm
... Aluminum, on the other hand, while light, tends to expand and contract with temperature, hence the common “trick” of freezing a Cannondale 30mm spindle overnight to make it easier to insert through the bearings...
And steel doesn't contract or expand?! Think not... it expands a bit less, depending on type of steel.

From what I hear from other applications (eg motorbikes ), cooling axles with liquid nitrogen before installation is done and good practice.
----
No longer in the industry