Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Anyone have any info on the weights of these babies? The build kits are pretty pedestrian (understandably for the great price), but I'd still like to know weights for the complete bikes, and perhaps more revealingly, the frame and fork. The alloy isn't as fancy as the alloy used on the CAAD12 frame, plus it'll have extra reinforcements for roughter terrain and touring gear, so i'm not expecting too much. Just want to know is it "not bad", all things considered, or "OMG my full suss mountain bike weighs less than that" sort of poundage.

Come on Damon, hook us up with some of your inside info!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

No frameset? booooooooo
Cannondale is asking $2000 for Apex built? www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductD ... =undefined
As much as a like their bikes, I think it's poor value. You can pick up Fuji Jari for $1300 www.performancebike.com/shop/fuji-jari- ... 18-31-8609 or better yet the frame for $530 www.performancebike.com/shop/fram-fuj-j ... 18-31-8748
Tire clearance is the same, BSA threaded BB, rack and fender mounts, low-profile bento box direct mount on top tube www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/city/cross-terrain/jari

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

DJT21

by DJT21

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm
No frameset? booooooooo
Cannondale is asking $2000 for Apex built? www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductD ... =undefined
As much as a like their bikes, I think it's poor value. You can pick up Fuji Jari for $1300 www.performancebike.com/shop/fuji-jari- ... 18-31-8609 or better yet the frame for $530 www.performancebike.com/shop/fram-fuj-j ... 18-31-8748
Tire clearance is the same, BSA threaded BB, rack and fender mounts, low-profile bento box direct mount on top tube www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/city/cross-terrain/jari

Yeh, but look at it; absolutely gopping. It's no surprise that Cannondale make a mean looking alloy frame, they've been doing it for long enough.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DJT21 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeh, but look at it; absolutely gopping. It's no surprise that Cannondale make a mean looking alloy frame, they've been doing it for long enough.
Fuji Jari is gopping and Cannondale Topstone is mean looking? :laughat:
What exactly are you looking at?

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:37 pm
Anyone have any info on the weights of these babies? The build kits are pretty pedestrian (understandably for the great price), but I'd still like to know weights for the complete bikes, and perhaps more revealingly, the frame and fork. The alloy isn't as fancy as the alloy used on the CAAD12 frame, plus it'll have extra reinforcements for roughter terrain and touring gear, so i'm not expecting too much. Just want to know is it "not bad", all things considered, or "OMG my full suss mountain bike weighs less than that" sort of poundage.

Frame weight:
Size, Unpainted frame weight*
XS 1370 g
S 1460 g
M 1560 g
L 1630 g
XL 1700 g
*Add approx. 70-100g for paint

Fork weight:
- 460g with uncut steerer.
- Full carbon fork. This is the fork from the CAADX.

As you hoped, Topstone uses a lot of the Cannondale aluminum technology from the stiff, comfortable and light CAAD12, but obviously with a different alloy and use in mind, adds a little more weight, but not much. It's tougher, yet lighter, than many alloy road frames. :-)

And the full carbon fork (from the CAADX cyclocross bike) is sweet, where some other gravel bikes have a mixed carbon/alloy combination.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 pm
TheKaiser wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Frame weight:
Size, Unpainted frame weight*
XS 1370 g
S 1460 g
M 1560 g
L 1630 g
XL 1700 g
*Add approx. 70-100g for paint

Fork weight:

As you hoped, Topstone uses a lot of the Cannondale aluminum technology from the stiff, comfortable and light CAAD12, but obviously with a different alloy and use in mind, adds a little more weight, but not much. It's tougher, yet lighter, than many alloy road frames. :-)

And the full carbon fork (from the CAADX cyclocross bike) is sweet, where some other gravel bikes have a mixed carbon/alloy combination.

Cheers,
Damon
Thanks for coming through again man! You never fail to dissapoint, and your participation on this forum is always appreciated!

Yeah, a little greater wall thickness can't be a bad thing for this application, after some of the pics we've seen of new gen ultra light aluminum road bikes with a big old dent from a seemingly minor bump like that poor guy with the "conker" (nut) that fell on his top tube. When it's a primo road bike, you expect that it might have to be babied, but a bike like this might be getting dumped in a loose corner, leaned against a tree while loaded with gear, etc...so this looks pretty spot on to me.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:36 pm
No frameset? booooooooo

That Fuji does look like an insane deal on the surface, although looking a little closer, that is a sale price wheras the Topstone is a brand new model and we're talking full MSRP, so it's a bit of a different situation. Also, even bigger in my mind, the Fuji has Apex with mechanical disks, not Apex hydro like on the Topstone. That's several hundred $ right there, and capturing the cost difference of the cable and hydro setups is also why Giant came up with that cable to hydro converter stem that they are using on some of their lower end models (which seems out of place to me in 2018).

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TheKaiser wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 pm

That Fuji does look like an insane deal on the surface, although looking a little closer, that is a sale price wheras the Topstone is a brand new model and we're talking full MSRP, so it's a bit of a different situation. Also, even bigger in my mind, the Fuji has Apex with mechanical disks, not Apex hydro like on the Topstone. That's several hundred $ right there, and capturing the cost difference of the cable and hydro setups is also why Giant came up with that cable to hydro converter stem that they are using on some of their lower end models (which seems out of place to me in 2018).
You are missing the point. It's $530 for the frameset www.performancebike.com/shop/fram-fuj-j ... 18-31-8748
I would be all over Topstone, if they offer the frameset, like CAAD12.

DJT21

by DJT21

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 am
DJT21 wrote:

Well, for starters, it is brown! :D

grover

by grover

DamonRinard wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 pm
Fork weight:
My 2018 CAADX SE has an allow steerer and QR dropouts. Fork weight was 750g.

So 2019 CAADX has full carbon steerer and 12mm TA dropouts?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi grover,

Oops, sorry, I think I might have just let the cat out of the 2019 CAADX bag...

The full carbon fork was designed first for the CAADX but clearly has now launched first on the Topstone.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DJT21 wrote:

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:14 am

DJT21 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Well, for starters, it is brown! :D
Brown color is your punch line? :roll:
And blue color Topstone is mean looking?
Hey Cannondale, shut up and take my money!

triteacher

by triteacher

Just placed an order for a Topstone 105... Bike's ETA is late November (Germany, that is) :-(((

AlexC

by AlexC

I’m in Sweden and ordered the Sora equipped model last week, but was told it wouldn’t be available in Europe until December 1st.

Stopped by the shop again today and was told Cannondale is shipping just 10 Topstone bikes to Europe next week. Only 10, for all of Europe! The shop is hoping to get one or two of the 105 level bikes, but nothing is guaranteed since demand is very high.

The shop employee also said it was pretty normal for the big bike manufacturers to release their bikes in America first, and then several months later in Europe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

triteacher226

by triteacher226

Just 10 bikes for Europe?!? Holy cow! Pretty sure these will go to the big magazines for testing...
Information on the web appears to be rather minimal at the moment, all online resources showing more or less the same content and THE SAME FEW PHOTOS :-(
Can‘t wait for the whole thing to get rolling...