Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomh79

by tomh79

I own a Synapse Carbon Ultegra since 2014 and I love this bike. But I wanted something more versatile as a second bike for biking on gravel/single trails, commuting, bikepacking etc. and just bought a Topstone 105 without testing. Couldn't be happier! I think I like it even more than my carbon Synapse...(Kudos to your team @DamonRinard ) but then maybe that's the "new bike" effect...
Since I only know the frame weight...what would be the easiest way to save some weight? I'm guessing new wheels? How much could you save?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi tomh79,

Congrats on liking your Topstone (and Synapse too)!

You're in the right forum if you want to save weight. I'm sure folks will help with lots of good suggestions.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Damon how would you say a 90mm stem would affect a L topstone handling wise? I'm used to 50mm on my mtbs, and @ 6' 2" find the end of the hoods that slight slight bit of a stretch. I have got space to move the saddle forward or swap to an inline seatpost, but its currently set to my preferred KOP setting from other bikes so thinking stem best way to go?

I notice the Canyon grails use a lot of 80mm stems on their range but they do have an even longer TT. I'm used to Santa Cruz with short TT so its great the topstone is so spacious.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777,

I agree with your fitting approach: Place the saddle first, then place the bars. (Although when weight distribution for handling is more important than weight distribution for comfort, as with some mountain bike scenarios, then balance the weight over the wheels first.)

Topstone's "Out Front" steering geometry is consistent across the size range and rides best with stems between 30 and 130 mm. 90 is definitely well within the design envelope.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Cheers, 30-130 is a great range, I was reading some posts on 80mm stems being a no no as twitchy on roadbikes, but the topstone has anything but roadbike geo so thought i'd check :D

Hoven

by Hoven

Large Topstone Sora is 10.82kg out of the box. Maybe there Will be a buildtread later :beerchug:

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777,

Yeah, geometrically, changing stem length does change handling a bit. But the difference is small, just on the threshold of being barely noticeable to most riders. (Google "just noticeable difference" for a fun explanation.) And anyway, any difference falls to personal preference, that is, there are no performance or safety concerns due to changing stem length (assuming the steering geometry is basically good to start with).

So if you're one of those unlucky riders who might notice, and if you happen to have developed a strong preference, then stem length can become a little important. But for most riders, the right fit is far more important.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

Mark81

by Mark81

Hi all

Looking at getting a Topstone to replace my mtb (trek 6000) which I mostly use for commuting and off-road with a swap of wheels. My local Cannondale dealer has just informed me that they will have some trickling in between end of Jan - early March.
I’m currently torn between the 105 and apex builds, but as yet I have not tried 1 by 11 so I don’t know what it’s like on longer road rides, which I will use it for next winter once I have a second set of wheels with road tyres and Mudgards. Also any ideas on sizing, My road bike is a 2014 trek domane size 56. I’m 6ft with 33inch inseam
Cheers.

jemima

by jemima

Mark81 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Hi all

Looking at getting a Topstone to replace my mtb (trek 6000) which I mostly use for commuting and off-road with a swap of wheels. My local Cannondale dealer has just informed me that they will have some trickling in between end of Jan - early March.
I’m currently torn between the 105 and apex builds, but as yet I have not tried 1 by 11 so I don’t know what it’s like on longer road rides, which I will use it for next winter once I have a second set of wheels with road tyres and Mudgards. Also any ideas on sizing, My road bike is a 2014 trek domane size 56. I’m 6ft with 33inch inseam
Cheers.

Topstone sizing could be tricky as the small Topstone has the same reach as your 56 2014 Domane, however the stack height on that small is alot lower than the Domane.

i.e. you'd have to go up a couple? of sizes on the Topstone to get an approx similar stack, but the reach is then getting out there which could only be compensated for by using a rather short stem.

Ideally I'd put you on an Large 2019 Fuji Jari 1.1 alu bike, as the stack and reach is within a couple of mm of your Domane. That 2x Jari has very similar spec to the 105 Topstone, however the pricing is currently somewhat more.
Curve Grovel ti.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Hey Mark, for me I find 40t just doesn't quite cut it on fast roads, i've been taking the topstone out with groups of roadie mates and the 105's 46t really helps, the bike proper flies with the stock Nano 40cc tyres, no issues keeping up, Will get a pure road bike wheelset as a future upgrade.

On 1x the range is too great between gears, something i've never liked it feels very gappy.

@Damon, 90mm stem felt great, i'm going to try an 80mm too!

slowK

by slowK

DamonRinard wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 pm

We took special care to make the XS Topstone fit very small riders especially well (very small stack & reach, standover & good steering geometry) to serve global markets including quite small riders in some regions.
Hi Damon,

I’m interested in the XS (I’m 160cm tall). The geometry looks good (including the front centre to reduce toe overlap). I appreciate the bigger fork rake you have put on the smaller sizes. (And on the Synapse too.)

Do you know the crank length, stem length, handlebar width/reach/drop for the XS? Does it come with the R7025 shifters for smaller hands?

These fit details are often overlooked for smaller riders.

Thank you!

Mark81

by Mark81

Thanks frogtape777 for info on gearing, will definitely go for 105 model. Also thanks jemima for info, been looking at geometry charts for a few bikes. When bike shop gets the TOPSTONE in I’ll talk through sizing with them taking into account my setup on my domane, will also look at stem length which has been mentioned in this topic. My bike shop has the sora model coming in first so am hoping they have a medium and large to try out.

Cheers again

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi slowK,

Glad you see and appreciate our efforts to fit all riders well, especially the care we take on the smaller sizes. As you probably know, we chose the larger fork rake to preserve good handling while maintaining toe clearance.

Here are the component sizes:
- Crank: XS-SM 170 mm, MD-LG 172.5 mm, XL 175 mm
- Stem: (+-7 degrees) XS-SM 90 mm, MD-LG 100 mm, XL 110 mm
- Handlebar: 70 reach, 128 drop. XS-SM 400 mm, MD-LG 420 mm, XL 440 mm, measured center-to-center at the brake hoods. 16-degree flare adds about 70 mm at the drops.

Unfortunately it does not come with the R7025 shifters for smaller hands. Possibly the adjustment range could bring the regular levers within reach?

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Some upgrades...

Fizik 90mm stem, better fit to the hoods, lighter, and a Spurcycle bell, stealthy + aero behind the bar (lol) as the Formula hubs are super quiet people don't hear you approach...

Wahoo Bolt is mounted with a Sram plastic mount, and a 3dcad garmin > wahoo adapter

Topeak aero wedge medium, stores - spare tube, high pressure pump, multitool, tyre levers, scabs, chain splitter, fender spanner, nitrale gloves,

Clarks 22g bottle cage bargain @ £13! very nice removal of bottle action, and super secure when moving

RAW mudflap, feet and drivechain much cleaner, stops all that bottom arc of filth spray...

Super reflective...

Full frontal

Fully loaded mid ride...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slowK

by slowK

DamonRinard wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Hi slowK,

Glad you see and appreciate our efforts to fit all riders well, especially the care we take on the smaller sizes. As you probably know, we chose the larger fork rake to preserve good handling while maintaining toe clearance.

Here are the component sizes:
- Crank: XS-SM 170 mm, MD-LG 172.5 mm, XL 175 mm
- Stem: (+-7 degrees) XS-SM 90 mm, MD-LG 100 mm, XL 110 mm
- Handlebar: 70 reach, 128 drop. XS-SM 400 mm, MD-LG 420 mm, XL 440 mm, measured center-to-center at the brake hoods. 16-degree flare adds about 70 mm at the drops.

Unfortunately it does not come with the R7025 shifters for smaller hands. Possibly the adjustment range could bring the regular levers within reach?

Cheers,
Damon
Thank you Damon!

I was hoping for 165mm cranks on the XS, but I can factor that into the cost for me.

Much appreciated!