Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777,

According to Shimano's specifications (link below), the rear derailleur RD R7000 GS that comes on the Topstone is only supposed to go up to 34 teeth, which is what is specified on the bike.

Shimano's specifications: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-GS.html

Topstone 105 specifications: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Great thanks again, i'm certain i'll find she climbs well as is, the only road bike i've ridden was an old claud butler with a 28t on the back and hills were a very grinding affair lol

Shrike

by Shrike

What height are you guys and what size are you going for on the Topstone?

I'm 5ft 10.5inch (179cm) and usually ride a 54 race bike, which puts me on a small Topstone. But not sure, thinking maybe a medium is more appropriate for this bike?

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Hey Shrike, I bought a large at 6'2" and went off height charts and a couple of shops reccomendations too.

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Finished getting the Topstone ready for test ride today

Question the manual that came with the bike was a generic cannondale manual, i'm getting conflicting info on the need for a spacer above the stem?

FSA who make the topcap compression bung seem to suggest to use one above stem...

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/file ... 038db1319/

Then many sites say not needed on cannondales, as the compression bung acts as a brace right in the position where the stem sits as I have it now with the factory x5 spacers under the stem

https://imgur.com/a/I4JA7Jj

Any thoughts?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777,

The second. The expander must support the fork against the stem's clamping force, especially the bottom stem bolt, where bending forces are also high. Of course if you want to lower your bars you can remove stem spacers, just trim the fork steerer so the expander still supports the fork where the stem clamps.

(FSA doesn't care about the forks, they don't make them, and their expander isn't harmed by spacers above. But Cannondale does, the fork is our design and we care!)

Congratulations on getting your Topstone!

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Thanks Damon,

I lined the expander up with enough play in it to give headset preload, and it definetely covered more of the stem bolting area with a spacer on top, compared to a spacer below.

With a spacer on top (not fitted in pic) the bottom bolt, and more of the overall stem is covered by the compression fitting.

I've set it back with the spacer below now but theres probably not much in it as we are talking 5mm. :D and if its all about the bottom bolt not the entire stem all good!

Fitted the SKS Blumels 53mm mudgaurds next, went with the outside bosses, but the axle skewer wouldn't close past the boss bolt after the mudguard stays were in place, even tried undoing the skewer, repositioning, and tightening again, but it needs at least 2 full turns at that point to tighten fully, and didn't fancy undoing again to get another turn, especially in a puncture situation etc.

Skewer needs a cutout, or boss less proud. This is with boss bolt as tight as it will go...

So the solution and I don't even know if this is a mounting point, designed to be used from this side, but I put a bolt in from the inside and fitted the mudgaurd stays here

Worked a treat and rear guards on

Front guards were fine after some stay sawing action!

Shes ready for a test ride now, indexed all the gears, white spirited and smooove lubed the chain, fit some temporary pedals, and shes a right looker, i'm very impressed 8)

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777

Thanks for the great photos. Well done getting your Topstone fitted out!

Fork: Yep, as you mention, the expander has some vertical tolerance while still supporting the stem, but as Sheldon Brown used to say, "sometimes a little imprecision saves a lot of explaining," so we keep it simple and just advise no spacers above the stem.

Rear dropouts: Yes, that cutout is exactly for what you've used it for: the mudguard stays. That's a neat little bit of engineering done by Andy Schmidt, an awesome design engineer who sits right next to me. These dropouts were originally designed for the Slate and we like them so much we re-purposed them for use in your Topstone.

The outer bosses are optional, unfortunately, with skewer interference as you've noticed. We're considering an allen key axle for next year's Topstone.

Front mudguard: Glad installation went smoothly for you. Even the fork crown boss seems just right in your photo. We thought of that and measured carefully while placing it there. Nice to see it works! :-)

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Thanks for insider info Damon, Andy Schmidt saved the day with that extra internal mount and before I spotted it was about to ragequit and go mud guard less :lol: Makes the bike much more usable for me in the UK, worst of winter is yet to arrive!

Would be a shame to move to an allen key axle, i've been using the bolt throughs since 2013 on my old Santa Cruz Blur, and adore the simplicity and security - to get around the boss issue for anyone wanting to mount a rack as well as mudgaurd etc, you could make the little loose circular piece which sits in front of the skewer thicker, it only needs 0.5cm i'd say, or make the physical skewer shaft cylindrical bit 0.5 mm longer so the arm sits out that little bit further.

Is there a manual for the Topstone or a download link anywhere, be nice to have a read of it all see if i've missed anything else, over a cold beer :thumbup:

I'll stick on a review once i've test rode properly tomorrow :beerchug:

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi frogtape777,

Yep, Andy's great! Thanks to him you can keep the muck off. :-)

All Cannondale bikes come with a fairly general Owner's Manual, which it seems you've got.
Only unusual models that require special instructions get an Owner's Manual Supplement (OMS).

They're all here:
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Suppo ... nuals/Road

The Topstone is pretty standard in most ways so doesn't have an OMS.

Thanks also for your thoughts on the axle. I'll pass that along to the product managers who are considering these kinds of options.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

Shrike

by Shrike

Mini crisis about the Topstone over here, missus has decided she wants one too however there are no XS sizes in the UK even for preorder. No shop seems to be getting any XS. Is there a reason for that do you know Damon?

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Shrike,

Glad to hear the Topstone is such a hit at your house!

We took special care to make the XS Topstone fit very small riders especially well (very small stack & reach, standover & good steering geometry) to serve global markets including quite small riders in some regions. Of course I don't know your wife's fit coordinates, but maybe check to be sure the size S isn't actually a better fit?

Although it's not surprising to find low/no stock (as I mentioned all Topstones have been in high demand!), I'm not sure why it wouldn't even be listed for pre-order.

When I'm back in the office (the next two days are New Year holidays) I'll look up a contact there, but in the mean time should you wish to contact CSG UK directly, here's there website:
http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/

They even have a "Contact Us" page:
http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/contact-us/

Long shot, but I'm wondering now if they simply chose not to sell the XS in the UK at all?!?

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

Shrike

by Shrike

DamonRinard wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 pm
Hi Shrike,

Glad to hear the Topstone is such a hit at your house!

We took special care to make the XS Topstone fit very small riders especially well (very small stack & reach, standover & good steering geometry) to serve global markets including quite small riders in some regions. Of course I don't know your wife's fit coordinates, but maybe check to be sure the size S isn't actually a better fit?

Although it's not surprising to find low/no stock (as I mentioned all Topstones have been in high demand!), I'm not sure why it wouldn't even be listed for pre-order.

When I'm back in the office (the next two days are New Year holidays) I'll look up a contact there, but in the mean time should you wish to contact CSG UK directly, here's there website:
http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/

They even have a "Contact Us" page:
http://www.cyclingsportsgroup.co.uk/contact-us/

Long shot, but I'm wondering now if they simply chose not to sell the XS in the UK at all?!?

Cheers,
Damon
Thanks Damon, she’s 167cm and rides an XXS Aeroad. That’s her only bike at the moment. If she can fit an S then that’s make life easier. I’ll do more poking around tomorrow or after the NY :)

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Shrike,

Do check, but looking at the S&R of each, they're very close. If she's happily fitted on the XXS Aeroad, then I'm guessing you're right the Topstone will probably fit best in XS.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard

frogtape777

by frogtape777

My Topstone 105 review and test ride...

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 4&t=154830

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components