Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomh79

by tomh79

If I want to do the tubeless conversion (as for now I ran the WTB Nanos ith tubes) do I need a rim tape or is it already installed? Tubeless valves were included...but nothing else (tape, sealant)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

triteacher

by triteacher

All you nead is the sealant - I went for Stan's. The wheels are "tubeless ready" - you just take out the inner tube and screw in the tl valve. I then pressed the tire back into the rim and inflated it WITHOUT sealant in order for the tire to set into the rim. Once it is set (you wanna hear some loud "pangs") you remove the inner part of the valve, fill in the sealant (approx. 50ml) and reassemble the valve. Make sure the valve core is really properly screwed back in. Reinflate. Twist and turn the wheel a good lot right after installation for the sealant to cover all parts of the inside. Additionally it's always a good idea to go for a quick spin right after a new setup.
You should be set and ready to go within about 20 minutes - no-brainer! You will be amazed about how much better the tires perform now.

tomh79

by tomh79

Thanks a lot!! Will do it next week and report back!

TonyM

by TonyM

triteacher wrote:My commuting setup... using SKS “Speedrocker“ quick-mount fenders.

How do rate these fenders? Are they rattling? Are they keeping you dry?

tomh79

by tomh79

Looking for a crank upgrade for the FSA Omega ME on my Topstone 105. There aren't too many options for 30/40

-current: FSA Omega (30/46) w/ BB: 871g --> Price: cheap
-FSA SL-K Modular Adventure Supercompact (30/46) w/o BB: 617 g --> Price: 300 EUR
-Easton EC90 SL + 30/46 chainring: around 560g?! --> PRICE: Crank 400 EUR + Chainrings 160 EUR (steep....)

any other good options?

Maybe the new Shimano GRX Crank FC-RX810-2 (31/48): 720g - would need new FD.

triteacher

by triteacher

@TonyM - Fenders are really great so far. Initial setup was about 30mins, I can now put them on / take them off in less than a minute. Material is surprisingly sturdy and does hardly move when riding. This again results in NO SOUND WHATSOEVER, no rattling, no grinding, nothing. Only sound you get ist when something gets stuck to your rubbers and goes for a spin underneath the fenders (normal, I think).
Performance is also really good, although I would NOT USE THEM on tires wider than 43mm (I think they are supposed to be used on 40mm max, but I am not really sure about that). Weight is no problem as it is mostly plastics. Only thing I do not really like is the kinda stupid name "Speedrocker", which they have printed all across the rear fender's length in GIANT letters (why the hell would you do that???).
I wrote a detailed review a couple of weeks ago: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/zeigt-h ... 3/page-204
It's in German which shouldn't be too big of a problem in our digital age :-) If it is, have a look at the pictures! Questions? Feel free to ask me.

TonyM

by TonyM

triteacher wrote:@TonyM - Fenders are really great so far. Initial setup was about 30mins, I can now put them on / take them off in less than a minute. Material is surprisingly sturdy and does hardly move when riding. This again results in NO SOUND WHATSOEVER, no rattling, no grinding, nothing. Only sound you get ist when something gets stuck to your rubbers and goes for a spin underneath the fenders (normal, I think).
Performance is also really good, although I would NOT USE THEM on tires wider than 43mm (I think they are supposed to be used on 40mm max, but I am not really sure about that). Weight is no problem as it is mostly plastics. Only thing I do not really like is the kinda stupid name "Speedrocker", which they have printed all across the rear fender's length in GIANT letters (why the hell would you do that???).
I wrote a detailed review a couple of weeks ago: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/zeigt-h ... 3/page-204
It's in German which shouldn't be too big of a problem in our digital age :-) If it is, have a look at the pictures! Questions? Feel free to ask me.
Thanks for the feedback!

Super hilfreich! Werde ich lesen (bin auch dort). Danke!

triteacher

by triteacher

Haha! :-)

tomh79

by tomh79

Aha, viele Deutschsprachige hier 😂

jemima

by jemima

tomh79 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:40 am
Looking for a crank upgrade for the FSA Omega ME on my Topstone 105. There aren't too many options for 30/40

-current: FSA Omega (30/46) w/ BB: 871g --> Price: cheap
-FSA SL-K Modular Adventure Supercompact (30/46) w/o BB: 617 g --> Price: 300 EUR
-Easton EC90 SL + 30/46 chainring: around 560g?! --> PRICE: Crank 400 EUR + Chainrings 160 EUR (steep....)

any other good options?

Maybe the new Shimano GRX Crank FC-RX810-2 (31/48): 720g - would need new FD.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthre ... 810&page=5

Seems using a Sram Force 22 spiderless crank and the correct North Shore Billet spider, or the Engin? spider, would be a fairly cheap and light'ish option if you started with a used crank. Rings with correct BCD to suit.

That's my dodgy-but-it-works home-mechanic build in the last shot.
Curve Grovel ti.

tomh79

by tomh79

Thanks! Will have a look.

tomh79

by tomh79

@triteacher did the tubeless change.

measured weights:

Front wheel:
WTB ST i23 TCS + WTB Nano 40c + Tube + Shimano disc SM-RT56 (132g) = 1744g

rim only without disc = 1008g

now running:
WTB ST i23 TCS + Panaracer GravelKing TR 28" 35c + Shimano disc SM-RT56 (132g) = 1632g

Rear wheel:
WTB ST i23 TCS + WTB Nano 40c + Tube + Shimano disc SM-RT56 (132g) + Shimano cassette CS-HG800 11-34 (335g) = 2285g

rim only without disc and cassette = 1227g

now running:
WTB ST i23 TCS + Panaracer GravelKing TR 28" 35c + Shimano disc SM-RT56 (132g) + Shimano cassette CS-HG800 11-34 (335g) = 2185g

weight saved: 212g (not so much I think..)

but now we know the total weight of the wheelset: 2235g

in comparison to:
Mavic - ALLROAD ELITE ROAD+ DISC: 1740g (pair)
New Shimano GRX wheelset WH-RX570 (700c): 1,600g (pair) --> easy 635g saved

I took a few hours (!!) but it was worth it. Did a short 20k ride - tubeless is great! And the Gravelkings 35c are so much faster...
Last edited by tomh79 on Sat May 11, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

triteacher

by triteacher

Congrats - you did it :-)
And thanks for all the details.
I had already been guessing that the wheelset was pretty heavy - there is just no other explanation for the whole system being so high up on the scale.
The WTBs on my Apex1 are labelled „light“ which might probably shave off a few grams. Still - they will have to go. A wheelset at plus 2000g really is a joke...
A 1500g medium level DT wheelset will do the trick and will not be too hard on the wallet:-)

tomh79

by tomh79

Any recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

triteacher

by triteacher

Not yet. Have only started looking into various options... will tell when I find sth.